• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 19, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
For my OTF post!
When the fields are to wet and you don't want to take the chains off to run down the road, You IMPROVISE when it's time to finish the break in!
CLICK HERE

Don-

It may be that your pto simply needs rebuilding or at least some attention. There are several different things to look at like the pressure plates, the condition of the clutch disc, the condition of the release levers controlled by the thrust button, etc. These are things described in manuals but until you deal with them hands on they can be confusing or even intimidating. Just keep in mind these are simple mechanisms and easy to learn so don't fret. The chances are you need to address other aspects of your pto...so get ready.

Are there private messages here? I tried to upload pics of the PTO button on the arm and the button on the PTO itself and it said the pic is too large. I'm not quite solid on how to reduce size of pics but could use some help. If anyone wants to email or text me, I sure could use some advice. I think I may need to buy a new PTO or at least replace the buttons on the PTO arm and the PTO/clutch. Not sure how to message Kraig or Wayne. Thx

Don, feel free to send your photos to me via email. My email address is in my profile. I can post them for you.

Here's Don's photos. It appears that the fiber button has broken off of the throw out lever and stuck itself (melted) to the PTO.

323287.jpg

323288.jpg

323289.jpg

323290.jpg

Charlie, you finished breaking in the 1466 after the rebuild by dragging your 2000D around your property? Clever.
happy.gif
I assume you were in the 1466, who was in the 2000D?

Don, the button is definitely toast. Without that the PTO should be fully engaged, so if the deck is turning slowly the PTO is likely slipping. You will still want to be sure everything is turning freely with the deck and belts, be sure to check that with the engine off. The PTO will have a triangle shaped "pressure spring" behind the thrust button (the thrust button is what the fiber or brass button presses on) There are three throw out levers that hold the thrust button. behind this is the triangle shaped pressure spring. It's likely that the pressure spring has one or more of the ends broken off. See circled ends in the photo below.

323297.jpg

Here's a cutaway view of the PTO that might help explain how it works.

323298.jpg

I think most everyone gets busy plowing and talking and forgets to take photos.
bash.gif

Hi all, New member here. I bought my first Cub, a 100. I will restore it. Ive got most of the tractor taken apart minus rear end and engine. I have the plow, wheel weights, rear lift and spring assist as well. Its pretty rough but I hope to make it shine again.

Thanks Kraig. Appreciate the input. Looks like I’ll be taking the PTO off given the thrust button and wear button are both shot (or maybe the thrust button is ok but has a bunch of melted fiber button on it). Will check the spring and clips when I get in there.

Chad - welcome! Post some pics some time. These guys on here definitely know their stuff if you have questions.

Engine is free on the 100. But, quick question: I downloaded the operators manual for it and it says the crankcase capacity is 5 pints, while the 1x2/1x3 manual says 3 pints. I saw a chart (can't find it now) that said 3 pints for the K241. Which is it? 3 or 5 pints?

I think I found the answer - everything I'm finding indicates 3 pints (except that one online manual). Luckily I have the original manual that came with this 100, and for some reason the capacity is different on it than the online one. It says 3 pints. So, 3 pints seems to be the amount required.

Back