• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfunk

displayname
Paul E. Funk
Someone smarter then me has probably figured this out and posted before, but today I had to replace the rear spiral drive pin in my Model 70 that has the loader on it. Because the loader frame was in the way I had to do most of the replacement through the creeper slot. I pushed a 1/4" wooden dowel rod through the holes to keep everthing lined up. I used a punch to drive the dowel rod in far enough to give me a place to start the spiral pin. I then taped the spiral pin to the end of my punch and lined it up with the hole. I hammered the pin in most of the way, pulled the tape off and finished hammering the pin in the rest of the way. I kinda liked the way it worked and thought I'd pass along the idea in case anyone else is interested. I apologize if I stole someone else's idea but it worked really well for me.

95416.jpg

Paul.

I have been useing the same method when removeing and later reinstalling the rearends from narrow frame cubs, works great.

Ben I use 3 shims on a rebuild, then check to see if i need more or less. I leave them dry. With that much gasket after a couple hours you need to go back and retorque the plate bolts.
Luther

Charlie,

Where can you get those "super handy" spiral pin removers/installers?

Bruce,
Ken Weaver used to make those. He never really had a lot of interest in them so he quit. Kinda sad too, they work pretty slick.
thumbsup.gif

Speaking of the Grump - come home, we miss ya!!
wave.gif

New member here, just wanted to say hello from the center of ohio. I've owned cub cadets now for all of 2 days! Just bought one off craigslist, was sold to me as a 1971 model 129 w/44" mowing deck. We just moved to a place out in the country with a few acres so we needed mower, and I hope maybe to use it for pushing snow in the winter if I can get a blade or blower, and maybe for plowing in the garden I dont know.

I dont really know what to look since I know very little about cubs, but it seemed like a good deal and I'd rather have a heavy duty old piece and an extremely pricey flimsy new mower. It runs well and everything seems to work but it is very loud. Is the muffler probably shot? Are the stock replacement mufflers quite or can I add an aftermarket muffler? Its a little harsh driving on my lawn especially at top speed (I think its mainly the lawn is bumpy)... that old 129 really likes to fly!

Well these old kohlers don't run as quiet as the newer ones but if you are complaining about the sound then more than likely the muffler needs replacing. I've had ones before that looked fine from the outside but were very loud. I think they came apart inside somewhere. A few of the sponsers carry them or they are not hard to find new or used on ebay for a good price. Good find on the 129.

<font color="0000ff"><font size="+1">Roland, thanks for the 123 wire diagram, Jim</font></font>

Tristan,

Welcome

This is what a stock 129 muffler looks like.
95431.jpg

Picture curtsey of Kraig McConaughey and he pointed out that the upper heat sheild is not shown.

You might be able to get a more quiet muffler, but it may reduce the horse power.

These olde Kohlers have a pretty good bark to them, that's why I wear ear plugs.

Jim

Hi . I've got a 1450 problem/issue . After the tractor is warmed up and driven for 10 min. or so , the hydro will not drop back to neutral when I step on the brake , and the only way to stop forward movement , is to pull the speed control about half way to reverse .
The bypass valves don't seem to be stuck , and the linkage is free and adjusted correctly , as far as I can tell . When the tractor is cold (right after starting it) , the tranny behaves normally .

Any ideas or input would be GREATLY appreciated .

Thanks ,
Tom

Got a question for all the guys who have notched a coulter for plowin How big was the hole saw used and what length are the notches ? TIA Rob

Rob-
I did it the old fashioned way.. I traced the bottom of a small olive jar onto the coulter, then used a 4.5" angle grinder to "hog" out the notches I drew.

Not real high tech, but it worked for me....

Back