• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 17, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I've got a problem with my 124. I've lost power to one side of my rear end. I looked in my servicemanual but nothing is jumping out at me as to what may have failed. The book says the axles are splined into the diff gears. So what else could be giving? Does this have something to do w/ limited slip?
Dan

DAN - Cub's have OPEN differentials, No limited slip except maybe something swapped into a pulling tractor with a whole lot of special parts. There have been some reported cases of the splines on the ends of the axles spinning inside of the side gears in the differentials but Only after a WHOLE Lot of hard usage. Best to describe symptoms why You think You've lost power to one side of rearend. Does tractor move with the transmission in gear, clutch engaged, and engine off? Most common drivetrain problem on gear drives is a sheared roll pin on the coupler right in front of the transmission where the driveshaft enters the reduction gear housing. Pin may appear O-K but if You look closely the rear shaft may be spinning inside the coupler. If the shaft isn't spinning You may want to drain the transmission and pull the rear cover off the transmission housing. Sheared or spun splines or twisted off axle is VERY rare.... In fact, You may be the first if this is the problem.

Dan M.: I doubt if you broke an axle but ? jack up a wheel and put it in gear and that wheel should turn. Do the same to the other side and that wheel should turn. jack up rear end(both wheels free) and put in neutral and spin wheel. The other wheel should turn the opposite direction. I really think you sheared a roll pin in the drive shaft so check them out if the rear acts like I described.

kevin, thanks for the tip. my problem was the solid pin in the driveshaft by the engine. also, does the 70 steering wheel have an IH centercap.

MAN! WHAT A DAY!
PLOW DAY 6 WAS A HUGE SUCCESS.

THANKS TRAVIS!
12952.jpg

12953.jpg

The 1450 decided to blow a head gasket!
12954.jpg

More pics to follow!

CHARLIE - No green tractors in those pic's!!!! John - CC 70 didn't have a plastic center cap.... just an acorn nut and a small dia. steel collar with 3 steel spokes going out to the steering wheel. I think the 100 had the all plastic covered wheel with a clear plastic center cap. "I Think"

Thanks a lot to Travis for hosting a real first class event. Everyone was having a real good time from what I saw.

glad to here it was a success i would love to have gone but I need a plow and 3 point hitch first
(waiting for the perfect buy ,or in other words the cheepest)
but I did make use of the day sand blasting my 42 inch blade
I'm telling you it was loads of fun.
sand blasting always is,

Thanks to the Schweizers, the Rockford Fire Dept, and everyone involved with todays plow day. Our family had a great time(although my attrition rate and fuel mileage wasn't soo good, but all is well now) and can't wait to do it again.

Scott

Thanks to Travis and Charlie and their families and the fire dept. etc. for the fine day. I got back a short while ago and really enjoyed seeing so many folks. I have many pics but will wait to see what gets posted by Kraig and others.
Nice to see you Travis, Charlie, Andy, Nick, Scott, Ryan, John, Robb, Mike, Tom, Steve, Bryan, and on and on.
happy.gif

(Message edited by dschmidt on October 18, 2003)

(Message edited by dschmidt on October 18, 2003)

WOW... what a great day. A BIG THANK YOU to Travis and his family, The Rockford Fire Dept., Charlie, and everyone for their efforts in helping make Plow Day 6 Fantastic.

Thank You again Kevin D. for the parts. Now the 104 can get put together for winter usage. :+)

I am too tired to even check and see how many pics I got before the batteries went dead. I do know it was a great treat being able to meet all those I did.

Dennis & M&W, I went back out and tried the 124 again. I was trying to climb a steep hill (we have a lot of these in NH). I rocked the tracter side to side and got both sides to ingage. In the relatively short period of time I owned this rig, I never had this happen before. I figure that hill was about a 1 in 4 pitch. I'm still learning what it can/can't do.
What can I do to limit slip without major modifications? I thinking there has got to be some kind of adjustment in the rearend.

DAN - I understand "Going up a steep hill" but am confused by "Rocked tractor side-to-side" to get both sides to engage. There's just "C" shaped retaining rings that hold the axles into the side gears of the differential and THEY have been known to fall out and the axles start to work their way out of the axle carrier. Like WM. says, jack the back end of the tractor up and try pulling out on each rear tire. If You end up with a lap full of wheel, tire, & axle You found the problem. That isn't a common problem.... I've only ever heard of it happening to One other Cub Cadet... at a Plow Day about a year ago right Art?

Dave-I couldn't believe BFH was there,that guy has steel balls when it comes to driving! Good to see you again Scott!

The usual thanks to the event organizers,Rockford FD,Travis,Charlie,Bryan and Rev for bringing all of us together in the first place,and to the guys who bought every last scrap I had in my truck. A <font size="+2">HUGE</font> thanks to Steve Blunier and Paul Bell for making it possible for certain attachments to wind up where they did. There was so much cool stuff there it was crazy. Pat Irlbeck,nice meeting you! Thanks to you and Steve for helping getting my plow set again. What worked in my garden wasn't gonna work in THAT field. You've definitely given me some goals to achieve,nice work on your smokers!! I didn't count the diesels but there were ALOT!!!! Naturally,I like that kind of thing....

I found the most bizarre thing to tone down my straight pipe. It is a spark arrester in a Kohler box with a Kohler part number and a sheet as to what it could be used on (K341,etc.) It is made by Supertrapp,says so right on it. It has removable plates and the whole shot,incredible. It was what I had in mind and there it was,20.00,brand new. I never knew it existed until I saw it,anybody else ever seen one?

Wyatt-Forget something?....
uhoh.gif

Hey I hope everyone had a BLAST at PD6!
I've got a stupid question. I know I've saved the pic of a 100 or 70 with a snow blade, but I can't find it. Maybe I got it on the 'puter at work. I can't figure it out to save my a$$. I don't know if I need the pulley thingy on or not. I'm guessing I need it. Yeah you would think I would remember from last year huh.
crash.gif

Thanks to Travis, Charlie, Rockford FD, and everyone else who put forth a fantatic effort (and a special thanks to "The Big Guy" for giving us an absolutely beautiful day to do it! Had a great time! Gadget

What a beautiful day!!! When was the last time you got a sunburn in the middle of October. Thanks Travis for hosting the event and for the parts. I had a blast and the 1650 ran good. If was fun running wide open, hydro lever all the way forward and still plowing 5-6" deep. I will say though Travis, you need to pick up some of those logs and posts out in the field. We had trouble getting a few of them through the plow. We did have a good laugh when the Deere had to be pulled from the field, and then Charlie goes and breaks down himself. It was nice seeing everyone again. Again, Thanks Travis.

Latest posts

Back