• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 16, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speterson

displayname
speterson
Well, had a little seat time today.

Some of you probably remember the roller my dad and I built a few years ago.

291089.jpg

When neighbors come over to visit they always ask how I keep the mole hills out of my lawn.
Well, a few passes with the roller each fall and spring make things nice and flat.

291090.jpg

Then, since compaction is bad for the lawn I hooked the aerator onto the 1450 and poked about a million holes everywhere.

291091.jpg

It does a pretty good job of pulling plugs as long as the moisture is right.

291092.jpg

Dropped off the aerator and then pulled around the drop spreader and de-thatcher to spread some seed and fall fertilizer. All in all a pretty fun evening.

291093.jpg

Sad day for all the "old time" members. Be sure to check out the coming's and going's section.

Bryan McMeen suddenly passed away last Monday.
More details to follow, as they come in from Julie.

Tom will keep everyone abreast of what's going on and when.

I thought I would pass this along so everyone will know that your doing a good job with the donations. Julie needs it more now than ever before. THANKS to all that are giving!

What I am trying to say......is all the donations from those incredibly generous individuals is being given to folks truly, truly in need as never been before in their lives. It is getting 100% used on living basics. I hope you can pass that along just how very much it meant and means to both Bryan and myself.

I deeply thank you for your help during this incredibly trying time. Checks for the forum were to Bryan? Doesn't dues go to you? You were giving the dues to Bryan? Incredible. Yes. I need money very badly as somehow, someway, the insurance (Aetna) will not pay the life insurance to me (or anyone) eventhough he paid into it for years and years because he was not on the job when he died. (he was on leave of absence, they were holding his job open as he was an asset to their company)

Julie

I've been unable to check the Forum for awhile and just happened to have a chance today. The news from yesterday really floored me. We've certainly lost a great one. Please make sure you check the Comin's and Goin's thread for more info.

David S. and Kraig: thanks for the info on my Sims cab. I put it together tonight and found the assembly instructions in the box the windshield wiper motor was in. It says it is made for a 154, which is apparently a Lowboy. I set it on my 124 just to see how it would look, and can't bring myself to modify it to fit. Thanks for all your help.
291130.jpg

any one got Charlies phone number ? I need to ask a few questions before I order some parts.

also how does one check a coil to know if it has resistance so it can be used on a Cub Cadet ?

Thanks email in profile for the phone number .

To partly answer my own question I know the resistance should be 3.2 to 3.5 ohms in a coil ; but I don`t know what contact or posts I should use for the test . thanks Later Don T

a---allalone.gif

I guess I`am not the only one to not know how to test a ing. coil !

Allen
My confuser had a melt down a few months ago and I lost a lot of info. I did buy a case that will allow me to remove the old hard drives and connect them to my new confuser with a usb port and find some info; like pictures and files stored in folders. slow work but I have found some info.

Bill R

thanks that is good to know and I have book marked that page. my crs is getting worse with age lol.

This might help also it is a older post from Jeremiah C.

A capacitor is not expensive, and they should be replaced every couple of years anyway (although Dennis may tell you he's still using one his father installed in 1940). The coil is fairly expensive and there are several tests available for it.

1. Do you have 12 volts at the positive terminal of the coil when the key is on? (Measure from frame to terminal.)
If so, the safeties are working and the primary circuit wiring and ignition switch are OK.

2. When the points are open, you should also see significant voltage from the negative terminal of the coil to ground; but almost zero volts when the points are closed. If you're seeing significant voltage swings as the points open and close, then the primary winding in the coil is OK. If the voltage never changes as the points open and close, something is very wrong. (It sounds to me that this is likely your situation.)

From Kohler Service Manual TP-2379 for Kohler single cylinder engines
Note: The capacitor charges each time the points open, its purpose is to keep the current across the points to a minimum, thus preserving the points. You should NOT see much spark at the points, just a little when they open, as the juice is supposed to be diverted to the "condenser." When the points close, the capacitor is discharged.

To investigate further, turn off the key, disconnect the battery and get a Digital Multimeter that can read capacitance, or grab an analog meter with an Ohm scale, preferably witb a 1 kilohm range.

3. Disconnect both terminals at the coil (+) and (-) as well as the spark plug wire and measure the ohms across the primary winding, from the (+) to the (-), it should be very low, just a few ohms, since you're simply reading the resistance of a length of wire; then I believe if you measure from the negative terminal to the terminal for the spark plug you should get a slightly lower reading, since I think the coils are fewer and the wire is thicker. If your meter shows either open or a dead short for either of these tests, the coil is burned up. (You might also try reading from the case to each of the terminals to see if one of the windings has shorted to ground.
Note: I think there is a resistor wired in series with the primary winding inside the coil, so the primary will definitely read higher than the secondary winding at the spark plug terminal.

4. If the coil checks out, and I hope it does, you can test the capacitor thus:

For an analog meter, touch the terminal to the case or other ground to discharge the capacitor and then hook up the leads with the meter set to a fairly high range for ohms, you should see the needle jump up and then "subside" back to zero as the capacitor charges through the meter. If the needle fails to move significantly, or you think you missed it, discharge the capacitor, and try it again using a different range on the meter, I think higher is better than lower, but my memory could be failing me.

On a Digital Multimeter, set the meter to read capacitance, discharge the condenser, and take a measurement.

5. If the primary ignition circuit checks out, then the problem must be in the secondary. Swap out the spark plug wire, and/or try a new spark plug.

I believe a bad condenser will typically show itself as weak spark before failing completely.

291137.jpg

Jeff, Don and anyone else reading this: I would revise my remarks about testing the coil to conform to Roland Bedell's schematic and values. The primary side of the coil should read significantly lower than the secondary since the secondary has many more turns in it (thus a much longer wire) in order to step up the voltage.

Reading with an Ohm meter:
(+) to (-) should read 4 to 8 Ohms
(+) to High Tension Lead at the center going to the spark plug should read 7,000 to 12,000 Ohms (7 to 12 Kilohms)
(-) to High Tension Lead should read 4 to 8 Ohms less than the reading from (+) to High Tension Lead
Case (or ground/frame when installed) to any lead should read infinity

Edit 1: Again, the purpose of the capacitor in the circuit is to absorb the electrical energy that would otherwise cause the points to arc while opening, thus saving the points from wear and tear. If the capacitor becomes shorted the coil can no longer fire, since the current through the coil primary must be broken in order to trigger it's field to collapse. It is the collapsing magnetic field which induces the voltage across the secondary windings. In other words, the "coil" is actually a transformer, and there are no transformers found in DC circuits (transformers only pass alternating current, just as capacitors pass AC but block DC).
smile.gif

Edit 2: If the capacitor opens, the system may still work, but the points will burn up quickly and you may experience mis-fires.

JEFF - Now I take EXCEPTION to a couple comments in your post of 11:05 this AM.

First being the cost of a condenser or Capacitor. I ordered new points & condenser for my Onan last spring and the bill came to over $62, most of the cost being the condenser. So NOT cheap anymore. Last OEM Kohler condenser was almost as expensive.

ALSO, I think most condensers are imported and don't last as long as they did 40 yrs ago. I'm lucky to get 125 to 150 hours on either Kohler or Onan condensers anymore. Used to be 250 to 500+ hours was typical.

And IH used magnetos in 1940 until 1947 or '48. Yes, they had condensers too, but they DID last forever, unlike today's imported ones. Can't say as I've ever heard of anyone replacing a condenser in a mag.

The points/condenser In #1 snow mover I installed in about 1980 or '81. I "THINK" #2 snow mover has Pertronix electronic ignition, so no points/condenser. I should really pop the dist. cap off some day and confirm if it does have EI or not.

And just another observation, coils with resisters inside usually say so on the coil somewhere. yadda yadda yadda
lurking.gif

Dennis don't shoot the messenger, I just reposted Jeremiahs post from last year none of those where my words, i just copied and pasted from an earlier post.
beerchug.gif

I just bought a new coil at the local car parts place; new coil says no external resistor required so I think it will work on my Cubs. I tested three coil and across the - and + I get new coil 3.8 and one of the other coil is 1.4 with the last of them showing 4.2 . does this mean the 1.4 is toast ? Have got everything read to get another tractor running with all new coils and points. I think one will get the point saver ign just so I get set it up and forget about it for a long time. Thanks guys for all the info. later Don T

Back