• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 13, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
149's got my vote ....
thumbsdown.gif

I vote for for a red 82 series with a modern Kohler power plant, cat 0 hitch and good mower deck. If not that, then the 149/169 gets my vote. Mike

I still cant get over how clean that thing is Nate. That is one beautifull cub! I wish we would get some fresh input from CC/MTD on what they are thinking of, time keeps marching on and it will be here before we know it. If not its own celebration, tie it into Red Power Roundup or another large show that has plenty of publicity tied to it. Mike

Mike T. I sure agree with you. It is so sad/discouraging that MTD wants our input and yet they aren't making any effort to communicate with us of their thoughts. What MTD fails to understand is lack of communication on their part once they ask for input shows not only lack of respect but also a strong showing of the same attitude that the late IH company used to show to their dealers and customers. That attitude of; "We'll give the dealer and customer what we think they need and not what they want." IH wasn't the only company to demise because of an attitude like that. Others have gone away too from the same. What MTD needs to realize is they can only take a name like Cub Cadet with its long standing reputation of quality only so far before people turn away to another brand that offers better quality and a lower price. Last year, I helped convince a co-worker to purchase a new Cub Cadet over a Kubota or John Deere. He's had problems with the Cub Cadet and now wishes that he'd spent the $$$ on one of the other two. I can't emphasize enough on the power of communication... or lack thereof.

I agree Marlin, I used to sell the new ones for lowes when they first started selling them. We had a spring sales push we called powerama in mid May. They would have me bring my restored 149 up and display it along with the newest stuff we were selling. The differance in construction was obvious. The 149 looks and feels like a tractor, the stuff at that time, looked more like a space ship with the rounded hood. MTD has a huge chance right now to take this 50th celebration and go to the moon with it. Or they can take the stance that they know best and the consumer can like it or not and let the whole thing fall on its face. If they really want to push some sales, outfit a couple of the current models with hitches and go to some of the plow days and turn some dirt, shoot some video of it. You could make a really good tv add showing differnet eras of cubs plowing and mowing, show a CCO, a 123 being the first hydro, an 982 SGT, a cyclops then a current model doing what cubs do best...working. MTD needs to do a reality check and get back to what made Cub Cadet so huge for IH. Had IH not gotten into the financial mess that management led them into. I think that IH would still be around today building ag tractors and cub cadet would still have IH on the grill! MTD would be smart to dust off the tooling for the 82 series, if it still exhists, and build a specal 50th tractor with a new Kohler V twin in it, hydro drive, hyd lift, cat 0 hitch. Give it all the options right from the get go. Get back to building a tractor and not a rounded space age lawn mower. Give it real sealed beam headlights that actuatly light up the ground, metal hood and side panels and a stout frame. I know MTD has someone that watches this forum and the registery, how else would they be giving stuff to use as door prizes at the spring PAPD last year. I really think that this forum and the registery need to let bygones be bygones and team up for the 50th. We are all here for the same reason, the love of all things cub cadet. We all have our favorite models, ones we dont care for and people that belong to either group we dont care for. But for our brand of machines to reach 50 years of production, its time to get down to what we do best, working our cubs!!!!!!!

Mike T. YES!!! It is already the latter part of March 2008 or just under three years until 2011. Your suggestion of MTD/Cub Cadet attending these events would make for some truly great TV ads. What better/"free" endorsement and way for them to have several models and testimony all in one... actually several Plow Day and other events throughout the country. Go to actual homes and follow up on owners and their stories. THEN be sure to give credit where credit is actually due. MTD/Cub Cadet has an opprtunity like you've stated being handed to them and it isn't through their advertising department. Perhaps they could start by coming up with a better slogan than their present one; "YOU CAN'T GET ANY BETTER". It's okay ... however let's face it... <font color="0000ff">Cub Cadets Have Been Earning Their Keep for Almost 50 years. One Chore At A Time.</font> }

I agree Marlin! My thinking is that MTD is waiting to see if we make preparations for a big party in 2011. I think that the 2011 RPRU should feature Cub Cadet as the main tractor that year. Then both online groups, this one and the ihregistery need to team up with presentations, speakers and testmonials from long time owners, the layout of where cubs will be parked at the show grounds ect. Then present this in a professional manner to MTD and as them if they would like to participate. This needs to be done this year, with the encouragement for them to equip a current model with hitch and plow and get dirty with the rest of us. The fact of excellent photo ops needs to be stressed to them. They are very aware of what we do and stand for as there were several unique door prices donated by them for the PA Plow Day in Luthersburg last spring, most from the IH days of cub cadet to! They know the history, they cant turn away from it for as without it, the cub cadet line wouldnt exhist and they wouldn't be making the money from it that they do. Ok, enough banter now. Lets get planning, serious planning. Time for chapter 34 to step up and take the ball and run! I am game, how about you guys?

There has been some great ideas discussed here. Is there anyone who has heard feed back on this? Good or bad is this really being read and discussed at the upper levels of the cub world?
dunno.gif

How about an online collection of oldest cub stories, kind of like Chevy's longest lasting pick up web site. Owners Cub picture and a short story about why there Cub stands the test of time. What do you think?

I'd like to see an interview with the guy on TigerCub:
81576.jpg
;
Or maybe the "trainer"?
beerchug.gif

Does he look like he was being PAID to do this??
That was back in the $1.25 min/hr days.
Thanks for the picture, Charlie. It may come back again...and again...and again..

Here's an idea for the 50th Anniversary: 50 years = Golden Anniversary...so why not have a Gold Demostrator Cub Cadet? It would be really cool if they would reproduce either the Original or a 149 or 782 for it to IH specs as they were some of the best models made in my opinion. Another possibility would be producing both a Gold Demo Original and a Gold Demo Garden tractor production model (yes, reintroduce the Garden tractor). Dealers could then have them setting next to each other on their show room floors to generate interest for 50th Anniversary and Cub Cadets.

Last months Red Power magazine had a nice article about the Gold Demonstrator tractors that IH produced back in the early 70's before the 66 series was introduced and the new CaseIH Gold Demonstrator Magnum models. In the 70's these tractors toured the country going from dealer to dealer to be on display or used in field demonstrations. I remember the day that they brought one of those Gold Demonstrator models to our dealership. It was way cool to see. IH never made a Gold Demostrator Cub Cadet - this would be the time.

Ron S. Now I like that idea. I remember driving past the IH company in Rock Island and seeing their whole lot full of those tractors. I was so excited that when I got home I told my Dad that IH had changed the colors of their tractors. I didn't know about the advertising promotion. Sadly the only picture that I have is the one in my memory bank. Of course MTD/Cub Cadet would ahve to use a better/longer lasting paint. That gold color was meant for demonstration purposes only and soon faded even if shedded.

Guys I'd have to agree on the chance to make this great. I hope that this whole idea doesn't fall on its face. As far as the real garden tractor idea goes when I looked at my new 129 and such at the dealer the new cubs just did not look like the same quality and durability of my old IH mcahines. I sure would be nice to buy a solid durable tractor with front and rear pto's, three point or sleeve hitch, real lights front and back. Good power to weight ratio. I'd love to have a real new garden tractor. I really want to see a great showing where ever it is. 50 years is a big deal and should be a big production. I don't care where it is as long as it is a class act of a show.

Hi im just jumpen in here but if they bring back anything they should bring back the Original, 70, or 100... or even the whole line up, what esentaly got them started in the lawn tractor business plus they were tanks.. and if they do bring em back they should make them identically to the 60's specs.....but thats just my opinion

I'll vote for the 782 with all the toys incorporated from all the past IH cubs.}

<font color="ff0000">hasn't anybody thought about making 1 that looked like the IH 2+2 tractors? The kind that articulated?, granted they wouldnt be very good at mowing, but they'd probably make awesome garden tractors, you know wat i'm saying?</font>

<font face="arial,helvetica"><font size="+1"><font color="ff0000">
Jim and Tony:
I totally agree with the 782 was the best garden tractor, IH Cub Cadet, with all the toys made.

Larry</font></font></font>

Back