• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 07, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Don-

I've never been one to like change in cub colors but that is really sharp.

Very good job!

Thanks everyone! Wayne, I'm generally a huge fan of all-original for everything. I don't like aftermarket wheels on classic cars or non-period paint colors/schemes.
Having a much smaller income, I couldn't justify the expense of correct decals 15 years ago when I painted the hood the first time. The huge white canvas was so boring that I gave it a "20 minute flame-job" with the intent of eventually doing it right.
I waited too long to do it right. We have taken photos of visitors on the 100 for the last 12 years, and the flames became the tractor in many people's memories.
Flames with decals is my best compromise.

Don,

Harry probably doesn't like it
lol.gif
, but I say it looks super nice!

Kraig,

Here is a spring assist on an O that I picked up a little while back.

322846.jpg

Charlie,

What is that white stuff?
err.gif

Where I was (Wed-Sat) the highs were 88-92 degrees, and the lows were 70-72!

Here's a couple of hints:

About a 4-1/2 hour drive from home.

322847.jpg

322848.jpg

It’s been a while since I posted here, and it’s been a while since I owned a Cub Cadet. At one time I had several CCs, almost all narrow frames, and most of them were 104s. I haven’t had one in about 8 years, but since I now own two Farmall Cubs, it’s got me interested again in Cub Cadets as well.
I found a 108 that’s been repowered by a 12 hp. I haven’t seen it yet, but the seller says it hasn’t run in about a year, so I expect fuel related issues. From the pictures it doesn’t look too bad. It’s not too far from me, so I may go stand in front of it to see it firsthand.

322877.jpg

322878.jpg

322879.jpg

322880.jpg

Terry, welcome back!
groupwave.gif

Interesting hood hinges.
a_blink2.gif
I wonder why they put the steering wheel decal on the tunnel cover?
1a_scratchhead.gif
It appears that the engine may have spent some time in a narrow frame due to the extended studs in the head for a narrow frame fuel tank mount. I suppose it's possible that the repower came that way so that it could be used in either a narrow frame or a wide frame.
dunno.gif

Kraig,
As usual, you guys are most observant. I probably would have noticed those things once I saw the tractor in person, but also probably would have missed the narrow frame engine thingy.

Terry, that steering wheel decal reminded me of this:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Brian Jordan /149 (Bjordan) on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 06:54 pm:

File this one under "It worked for me". When I got the IH emblem decal for the steering wheel(I suppose the original ones were aluminum or such), I wanted to be able to pull the wheel off if needed without peeling off the sticker.

I cut out a piece of stiff plastic I bought from a craft store, put the proper bend in it to conform the bend in the steering wheel, applied the IH decal to the face of it, and put a self-stick velcro button on the back, and the matching side of the velcro button stuck to the recess in the steering wheel. Pops off when ever I need it to and lays in nicely and holds fast when I don't.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

322882.jpg

322883.jpg

Marty Gwin

How well does that later Brinly spring helper work? It looks better than the stock one for originals which was centered with a big goofy "T" bracket to bump against the seat spring.

Unfortunately a later Brinly spring assist wouldn't work on an Original that has the fenders installed.

322885.jpg

322886.jpg

Craig C.

It seemed to have worked pretty well, but I took it off when it came home.

Kraig M.

What if you put a block where the spring is mounted to the tranny, to raise the spring high enough to clear the fender pan?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig - hey Marty might be onto something there with his suggestion of using a block on top of the tranny.

Terry - did you go get that repowered 108 yet? It's really a 128 you know. and they were one sweet tractor.

Harry,
I haven't yet - I have been working OT on the weekends and on a few evenings. I usually end of with a narrow frame, and usually a 104 for some reason. They just seem to find me when I'm looking for Cub Cadets. This 108 would be a departure for sure.

Marty I appreciated you posting the pic as with about 40 years of cadeting I never saw a later brinly spring mounted like that.
thanks

Hydro, Marty, with the fenders mounted there's no room for the clamp to mount onto the lift bar.

Craig, do you remember seeing this setup?

322889.jpg

Terry, I could set you up with a 104 after I take the cab off...... Doesn't run and hasn't in who knows how long.

Kraig - yes I see now that there isn't enough of the bar exposed and it would conflict with the back of the tray. IH already cut that half moon slot so the bar just clears.

Terry - yes 104's might just find you but I'd certainly be going after that 108. You said it hasn't run in a year. I'm surprised how clean it is (ya it has some dirt on the close up pics but where's the grass?) I'd check for compression first thing. I'm suspicious of that fuel filter not actually allowing enough fuel thru. If you can get it for ONE BEN FRANKLIN I'd be all over it.

Hydro, Terry-

I agree that the 108 is a sweet tractor. I have two, the 108/128 (Bull), and a 108 in it's original form (Turtle). I use them both regularly. The only thing I have issue with with the 12hp repower is the Walbro carb and cheaper linkage.

I don't see any problem with that inline fuel filter...I have them a a couple of cubs and getting ready to put one on Bull because of its slightly rusty gas tank. Sometimes that little screen in the tank just doesn't quite do it. And I wouldn't even mess with the compression testing. I'd clean the carb, check for fire (maybe inspect/clean points), check fluid levels, make sure the clutch is freed up, and put it to work. I'm sure you'll find things needing attention as you use it.

Wayne - maybe I didn't explain myself. When a PO says it hasn't run in a year you never know why. The easy ones are that it just ran out of gas, but I've run across several that had thrown rods and many POs don't even know what that is. They say the engine turns over but it won't start and when you try it just goes whirring away. So, I always try to rotate the engine to check for compression (and also make sure it ain't seized or making clanking noises).
And Ooh ya, that Walbro carb is an issue but not enough to stop the deal. It's an easy change over to an old No. 26 Carter Kohler version, and be done with that internal plastic crap in the Walbro.

Back