• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 07, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig,

Why not make a bracket to mount on the other end kinda like this, to hook the spring onto?
I used my pic because I didn't want to mess up your pretty O. LOL!

322892.jpg

Bought this rusty 124 that had been sitting in the woods for 20-30 years.
The wheels were rusted completely off of it, and the dozer blade was rusted through at the bottom.

The vinyl and padding on the seat had weeds growing out of it, and the hood was just laying on top.

Put these wheels on it and cleaned it with a pressure washer.

Replaced the condenser, plug wire, air filter, few ends on the wiring, cleaned the carb, cleaned the fuel filter, changed the oil, gas in the tank, borrowed a battery, and it fired right up!

322896.jpg

322897.jpg

Hydro-

I might have been thinking you meant going through a compression check, special tools and all. I always turn the engine and have even removed the spark plug so I could spin it faster to make noise if it turned too easily with the plug in.

A guy nicknamed Turtle drove up one day with this 108. He said he wanted me to find out what it would cost to "get it running". It didn't take much but the clutch was toast. When I told him what it would cost the tractor came up for sale pretty quickly. He drove home with some of my money rather than the tractor...a couple of Bens. I had all of the parts including a new clutch pad on hand so it was working and named Turtle in a short while. I figured why not.

Harry - your comment about the Walbro brought a little chuckle... When I repowered my 129 in about 1992, I swapped the carbs, kept the Carter because the new carb didn't have enough knobs on it (LOL). When I sold the old 12 horse to the new owner, I pointed out he was getting a new carb, that the throttle shaft was loose on the old Carter and needed fixin'.. Of course, the joke was on me in a way, he replaced a tired 10 horse with the 12 horse that was smoking a little - but he never rebuilt it. I shoulda kept it (but back then that "Spring Special" from Kohler was pretty hard to turn down).

Kraig I don't remember seeing that and I appreciate that picture too! don't even need a sleeve hitch for that one, just a lift paddle

Marty the hydraulic lift made that 124 a sweeter deal too I imagine.

Hey Marty - it's been some time but back in the day I used to get a few parts from a friend in Travelers Rest, SC. I usually only did it when I couldn't find the stuff some where else at a good price. That rust you get in SC and NC is some of the worst in the entire country. Doesn't surprise me the wheels rotted away. Craig already mentioned seeing the hydro lift feature. I also see the little Creeper knob. This must'a been a sweet deal.

Wayne - sorry if I confused you before. I ain't got no special tools for a Kohler compression check. I just check to see if it has any or don't.
Now, about Turtle. That's a reasonable story and I can see how the name stuck. BIGGER question is about your other tractor named Bull. Got a similar story on naming it?

Gerry - I've heard before Kohler had that "Spring Special" back in the day, but never how much benefit $$$ there was. How much did you save???

Hey Charlie - that is an odd ball.

"International Harvester Great Britain Limited, Harvester House, London."
Also notes "The Greatest Team On Earth".

They really were ahead of their time in marketing.

Craig,

The creeper and the hyd. lift is the reason I bought it.
You think $60 was too much for all of it?
biggrin.gif

Harry,

Some calcium chloride helped rot the rims too!
err.gif

Latest posts

Back