• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 06, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
Chains on turf tires is best, chains on lug tires are close, probably 75-85% of the traction on snow/ice as chains on turf tires. Lug tires without chains probably 35-40% only of the traction a chained turf tire would have. Turf tire without chains... probably less than 30% of the traction of a chained turf tire. It was either the Chicago Motor Club or the American Automobile Club did the testing back in the 60's on tire chains. Whether it was a car or a Cub I doubt the tires & chains can tell the difference.

Chuck,
It's about time I see you on here.
buttrock.gif

Are you going to the plow day this saturday just south of Hunnington?

Kent,
Yes we are going.Let me know if you want to meet somewhere Sat.morning and truck down.

Chuck

Bob N: My Original with two lift handles looks like a factory made variation to me. It could also, perhaps, be a dealer installed 3d party kit for the Originals. I have several pieces of Mott literature and there are no illustrations showing an Original, 70, or 100 with the double handles, so I do not think its solely Mott related. Also, I have not found it in any other literature of any kind. My Original has the handles to 1) the deck and 2)the rear lift. Of course, a front mounted accessory could also be used instead - a blade or sweeper for example. This is the only other tractor mounted example. Could you ask "knowledgeable" to contact me so we can compare a closer inspection. The photo you posted seems to be identical to mine. Myron

As of now the weather is looking great for The IH Plow Day this comming Sat. dry and in the low 70s all week. Since I did not get a chance to scan the flyer to post here is all the info. for those of you who did not get it yet. There has been a great response so far and I am expecting a good turn out of Cub Cadets. The fields for the Farmalls and Cub Cadet will be seperate. I will try to post this again twords the end of the week. I will keep you posted on any weather related info. Hope to see you there for a fun Cub Day.

IH PLOW DAY: (for any and all IH farm tractors and Cub Cadets, MTD built Cubs are OK also)

SPOSORED BY: International Harvester Colectors Club of Indiana (chapter 7)

WHEN: October 11th 2003 starting at 9:00 till dusk. (rain date October 18th)

WHERE: Plum Tree Indiana

DIRECTIONS: from I-69 Exit 78 (Warren exit) go north on State Road 5 one mile to State Road 124. Go East on State Road 124 three miles to Plum Tree. There will be signs, it is right at Plum Tree, and Plum Tree is basicly a one stop sign town population of probably 10.

LODGING: at I-69 exit, 4 miles from site. Huggy Bear Motel, (260) 375-2503, Super 8, (260) 375-4688 or 1 800-800-8000 toll free.

FOR INFO: Contact us by Email or phone (260) 356-3440. Or The event Host Marv Zeller at (260) 375-2454 or [email protected]

Art, two quick questions.
Do you have any pictures of the dry wall job?
Did you know dry wall goes on a certain way?

Not the prettiest peach on the tree but she's ready to plow! Even got my Grandpas Coulter rigged up on the plow.
12636.jpg

12637.jpg

12638.jpg

12639.jpg

Hey Charlie, I like those big JD weights on there! What are those on the outside?

Charlie:
Looks good. I have one bit of advice,though. I'd remove some of the weights on the furrow wheel. Wyatt had his 169 weighted in a similar fashion @ PDv2.0 @ Steve's house. He had trouble keeping the tractor on a line because the weights were preventing him from getting the furrow wheel down into the furrow. The land wheel kept driving the tractor into the furrow. It's in the video, too.

Wyatt - chime in here, please.

Keith

Oh, yeah. And if it's a internal brake rearend, you can hang some IH weights on the inside of the wheels. You get the weight and none of the problems associated with an abundance of outboard weights.

Keith

Could anyone help me with a governor problem[10hp on a 104]? It gains speeed as it runs. It will not slow down after you slow down the throtle. It is almost like it needs a return spring to slow down the idle.

Spent a couple hours tonight with a cub guy. He had an Original that had a right foot brake that worked the left brake. The paint looked identical to what could have been an original paint job, At first I thought "PO" but the hole the brake cable woud have used wasn't there either. some other odd ball stuff. The front spindles were modified to move the wheels forward about an inch. Anybody ever heard of any of this?

Charlie, I agree with Keith, Take off the outside wait on the furrow syde! Fore ploughing,
happy.gif
you always want 1 more wait on the land syde! !
beerchug.gif

(Message edited by jlang on October 06, 2003)

I guess I shouldn't be bitchin' knowing that other people are looking for work, but looks like Rockford, Iowa might be getting futher away. Smart a$$, never sat on a machine, knows everything, looking to make himself look good, Yuppie kid wants to start working 12's again. I'm getting the "Pucker Factor" going! Anyone out there with some Vasoline?

Charlie P...Follow the Brinly weighting guide and you need 50-100 lbs on the furrow wheel and 150 lbs on the landside wheel. Balance the tractor out with weights in the front, proper plow adjustment and you can be unstoppable!!!

Are the aux lights a "High Intensity Discharge" style for shining "deer"??(look out Robb!!!)

Tom H....Get your priorities right!! Your job cuts into your hobby way too much!!!

**PSA**...The literature on the new FARMALL series tractors arrived at C&G today. VERY interesting!!

(Message edited by kupdike on October 06, 2003)

Tom H, Vasaline? Come on buddy wheres the spirit, Try it once with HYTRAN. Hope it works out for you.
happy.gif

I guess I should have said that it was almost ready, I put the front weight bracket on and already had the weights on for throwin snow this winter. I planned on doin some switchin of the weights before it really hit the dirt. Good thing you guys said somethin though, I would have prolly forgot to switch'um.

John L.
Those are JD tractor weight spacers, they add an extra 34 pounds each. We won't say anything about the JD suitcase weights on the front that Jim D sold me, grin

(Message edited by Cproctor on October 06, 2003)

Jared-
Kenda! That's exactly what they were, thanks!!!

Keith-
The weights didn't ride up on the ground at all, they just dug through, the problem was that I was OVER weighted on the tractor and the 12" brinly's landslide wasn't adjusted right . . . . little chinamen kept popping up and telling me so
happy.gif
When I was over-weighted I got too much bite and got the front end light and with the rudder action of a 12" plow with the landslide out of adjustment the front dove for the furrow. I don't remember if I had a front weight rack then or not.

FWIW, this weekend with my 10" brinly I plowed 3 gardens with 12" wide turf tires and no weight other than me, given it's not as tough as a field, but with the flotation I had, it was a great demonstration that you can have your Cub over-weighted.

I finally found a Cub Cadet 149. While the great debate on balance gears was going on my motor was rebuilt without balance grears.Thanks to My Dad and Son who spent there time cleaning and reassembling motor. Motor was part of Son's 4-H small motor project. Best part is 3 generations working/learning from each other.
149 is set and ready to plow Saturday at Plum Tree. Hope to see you there. Son has laid claims to 149-looks like it time to find another one.

Back