• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 03, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jclazar

Got to like having power angle blade { I'm working on it }! I think key to installing wheel weights, is to have nice and clean, lubricated 1/2" carriage bolts. I ran the carriage bolts I have through the wire wheel, and applied a mixture of WD-40, and Hi-Temp anti seize. My weight set up on the 71 consists of IH inside, and heavy Sears on the outside, along with new 2 link tire chains.

One point about the Sears, is that they have the square lug that will hold in place the head of the carriage bolt, which the IH does not. Therefore, and not only, I mounted the way I did and the clean carriage bolts have helped. Not something I like to do every day, so we'll leave the 71 as the full time snow removal tool, and just finish up the 72 for the go-to GT!

Have a good one folks! {raise my coffee mug ! }

Richard

I removed the turf tires that already had two IH wheel weights installed with a swivel and extension.Putting the wheels on the diesel was easy with the studs .my 125,149 and 1512 wheels all have the square hole for carriage bolts to add wheel weights. I like to use threaded rod and blue locktite for wheel weights not carriage.I put a nut on the out side and one inside the rim so the IH weights can be slid onto the threaded rod . I found carriage hard to line up and hold when I slide the weights in place because they will fall out of the rim.Threaded rod is way cheaper and can be cut for any length combination for weight.I have some 75 lb plastic weights that have a solid center and they are a bear to handle with carriage bolts. but with threaded rod it was a snap to install the weight . Just align the two threaded rods and slid the weight on and tighten. cut off any excess with a mini grinder with a zip cut wheel.Removal is simple.using a socket and spin the nut off the back of the rim and all the weight comes off together. No hard lifting or alignment issue for me.

JEFF - For your first PD, I'd just chain-up your turf tires, and put one 26# IH weight on the right rear wheel, and two on the left rear wheel. The extra weight on the land wheel balances out the traction both rear wheels get.

As far as traction with a worn lugged tire, well, that depends on how "worn" they really are. Now days I see a lot of full size tractor tires that are almost bald. But on surfaces like dry concrete or blacktop, or hard packed dirt or crushed rock, they pull about as well as a new lugged tire because they won't dig and have lots of surface contact. If the lugs on your worn tires are around half the height of a lug on a new tire they will pull fine. But a chained up turf tire will pull better.

DON - Go easy on the hydro lever when your pushing with your tractor. If you slip a tire you will tear up the grass. A turf tire will slip easier and tear up grass, a lug tire will push more and really tear up grass, but a chained turf tire will push really hard and REALLY tear up grass.

As for mounting wheel weights, I always use carriage bolts. I run weights inside the wheels on my NF GD's, two bolts inside and two bolts outside. I slide a piece of cardboard inside the bead of the wheel where the weight sits to protect the paint and tip the weight up and start the bolts into the cored holes in the weight, then tip the weight up where it belongs, then install a 1/2" flat washer, 1/2" lock washer, and the 1/2" hex nut. Make sure the square on the bolt is engaged in the square hole in the wheel and snug the bolts up but not too tight.

Jeff, depending on the soil type even plain turf tires can do OK for plowing. This is a photo of me with my Original at it's first Plow Day back in 2010. I didn't have a set of AG tires or chains for it yet so I just went with the turfs and IH weights (1 per rear wheel.) The soil was a sandy loam so plowing was easy. Having written all that, I have to agree with what Denny wrote.

263358.jpg

Good morning, All.
happy.gif
We received a package from CC Specialties yesterday for Fancy's 1650.
263361.gif
... Fancy says, "THANK YOU, Charlie. You're THE BESTEST!!!"

It started raining this morning and it is much needed. Today is Angel's eye surgery day and since I'm taking the next four days off work to care for her, I also hope to get some time to work on Fancy's Cub Cadet.

Jeff B. My first Plow Day was with the 125 and turf/chains. Once the plow was set it was a blast. In fact I've yet to put Ag tires on the 125 when using it as a plow tractor. I love the ease of turf and chains. I did have just one set of weights so I did have to slide to the left side for more traction though.

KRAIG - Pre-PD#1, every fall I'd haul my 72 & plow out to my Sister-in-law & Brother-in-law's farm and fall plow their gardens. Was close to two acres total. I still had the 6-12 GY turf tires on the 72 and about 50# of weight per tire on the tractor. I remember spinning out a couple times on rotten tomatoes, but was able to plow O-K otherwise. Then I'd go over to Dad's and plow his large garden too.

Getting the Firestones before PD #1 made a HUGE difference. And chains would have worked fine too. The 72 still had the K181 in it so it was 1st gear plowing most of the time. If the gardens had been longer I could have run 2nd some of the time.

Okay - so I just finished mowing the grass with my 149 and, as I always do nowadays, was leaning over to turn off the fuelcock before backing into my parking spot. (Backing into the spot usually burns the remaining fuel in the line and keeps fuel from occasionally pooling underneath while parked).

Anyway, as I was leaning over and closing the valve while idling, the pto button came loose and popped me right between the eyes! Scared the heck out of me and, if I didn't have my sunglasses on, likely would have left a nice red mark on my face since it has a fair amount of spring tension behind it.

I thought "What are the odds that it lets go right at that very moment, with my face directly over it, after all these years of use?"

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Mike

I had the whole PTO let go and go flying . seems the locking collar got loose and the whole thing came flying out. Of coarse it broke a few teeth off when it hit the ground. was quite a noise at the time and scared me .

Dennis, I have only 2 26# IH wieghts, so should they both go on the left rear?

Jeff B.

Put the worn and loaded ags on, add both weights to the left side, and throw the chains in the truck. If you find you need more traction than the ags have left in them, chain them up!

The loaded tires and wheel weights doubles up your weight.....that's a good thing,and the worn ags will pull just as well as turfs.

BTW, chains on worn ags in dirt is just as beneficial as the chains of turfs.......

Also when plowing be sure position the buttox crack on the edge of the left seat side for extra weight on that side. Kraig M might have some pics showing the proper technique. I think this is why IH only used a clutch/brake pedal on the left side, else when plowing or mowing on a steep hillside sideways, you'd have to have an extra long leg or really high red heels to reach a RH side pedal if you've assumed the buttox/crack seat position...

Harry B - how am I doing? Trying to answer some questions here or should I stick with just asking quick questions...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Bill J.
Your doing fine, but you need to illustrate more, LOL
Notice how the center line in the bibs/buttTOX crack line up perfectly with the edge of the seat!
263368.jpg

Jeff B - looks like you pin came out perfect to me. If you ain't gonna paint the bottom half at least grease her up before you insert it. Otherwise, since they are a tight fit the dang things rust right in place in the cast lever piece.

Bill J - almost hate to say it, but I never had the pleasure of pulling a plow. I've had situations where I've had to ride half seated or more correctly half cracked, which was usually on slopes that seemed to steep for comfort. Just keep your info coming, you're doing well.
I did see your question about any concerns with the grill housing on your 1650. If your lower one is cast iron I wouldn't expect an issue. It's the upper aluminum piece that requires some care. The threads in the holes for mounting the hinge usually strip out so be careful you don't over torque them. Once you got the hood assembled to the upper grill housing it will take you some time to get it to line up against the dash when closed. You'll have to play with it alot but it's worth taking the time to get it right and save the edges of your fiberglass dash. Hey, we need pics so we can see your great top fo the line 1650. Don't matter if she ain't prettied up yet. Let us see it.

BILL J. - Quick Question here... (talk about role reversal!) WHY in the heck are you worried about hitting a brake when plowing?

Dennis, It probably will save a lot of wear and tear on your grill/axle/tires and what have you by being able to stop when you come up behind me after I have high centered, stalled, spun out or broke down!! LOL

Dave S.

Back