• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 03, 2003

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard, I have used regular washers to get a head on, never caused a problem for me yet.
Jim, If a battery has a loose terminal it's bad. It may not be your only problem though. Look in the FAQ at the top of the page. pretty good directions for trouble shooting the charging system.

169 is fixed, dad had a spare cork gasket on hand, and I robbed the hydro out of my loader tractor project (rebuilt).

Actually had 2 leaks...shaft seal was leaking (but not bad) AND the left front bolt in the square top plate on the rear end was loose, causing oil (slung off of the ring gear and reduction gear) to leak out around the old cork gasket. Nice bead of Permatex Ultra Copper gasket eliminator fixed that, and the 169 is not leaving it's mark anymore (knock on wood!!!).

Never though to check the top cover bolts when I had the rear end out.....who would ever figure they would leak.

Anyway, 169 gets to pull the hay rack full of kids at tomorrow's block party and will probably be put into service mowing the lawn next week to burnish the PTO clutch. I want to put some time on this machine before PD to get any infant mortality problems out of the way...hate to have a little thing go wrong at an event 5 hours from home if I can help it.

Keith,

Shake isn't too bad at all...power is NICE!!!!

Richard,

Most TSC and Farm & Fleets carry grade 8 washers and the Hillman racks at the local hardware store should have them too.

Just in case Tom's blood pressure is too low this morning...
I checked eBay with my standard search of Cub Cadet minus parts list, parts lists, manual, manuals. There were 510 listings. Included the lists and manuals in the search, and there were 741 listings.

Couple of questions:

Is there anything special about the lift rod on a snow thrower? Bought two and both were missing the lift rod.

What is the name of the paint that is used to coat the inside of the chute? Tried to find it in archives but couldn't.

Tried the tire fixes but finally just put tubes in the two tires at $8.00 ea. Hope that fixes it for good.

Wasted a lot of Hytran yesterday. Have been trying to fix my big snow plowig tractor's charging pump system. Flushed the entire system and refilled with 20 gallons of Hytran. NO FIX... SHould have saved it for all of my hydros (6). Would have had some left over. Guess church will have to find somebody else to plow the school and church lots this winter. I am giving up on the big boy. Pretty discouring. Waited months for the parts and spent a ton but nothing.

Dave:
Thanks, that is what I was thinking, you can move the positive terminal back and forth sideways - was thinking of taking a battery out of my other Cub and dropping it in to see what happens.
Let you know,
Have a great Sunday everyone, weather is beautiful today here outside of Chicago.
Jim

Frank, Nothing special about the lift rod. Use 1/2" rod from the hardware store and put your front wheels on a 2X4 with the blower on to measure for the lift rod and put a 90 degree bend at both ends. Is that hydraulic problem on the Off topic XX35?

Dave:

Yes. Just lamenting that I used so much Hytran that I could have used in a Cub. The off topic is a Massey Ferguson 1135 that has a charging circuit problem that nobody seems to have a solution for. Could have bought several cubs for the amount of money thrown inside the transmission case. Been working on it for months.

Thanks for the lift rod info. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track doing what you said.

I have no problem fixing hydraulic problems on my cubs.

I am amazed at the amount of assistance a spring assist provides. Mounted the QA 36 on my 129 that has an assist and was surprised that it takes very little effort to raise and lower the thrower. Had been using a trip blade in the past and knew it help there. Too used to the my 1450 and the hydraulic lift.

Hey Guys,

I had a cool day yesterday. I found a Merry Tiller Rotortiller at a garage sale. I am thinking about turning it into one of these.
12589.jpg

Now here are the pics of the Merry Tiller:
12590.jpg

12591.jpg

12592.jpg

Any comments? I was thinking about having the tiller turn in the opposite direction as the Cub will be going.

Wow! It is sooooo dead here today...

Anyway, forgot to check the mail yesterday, and my daughter ran up to me saying that I have a Cub Cadet part... The box was too small for what I was expecting. Instead I found this:
12595.jpg

12596.jpg

My dad bought a brand new Cub Cadet 3204, and they sent him this, and he sent it to me. Did IH ever send customers things like this?

Jeff, Why turn it backwards? Usually the tines try to push you/tracor forward. Just seems like making the tractor drag the tiller is only half of it. Your going to make that 5(<font size="-2">?</font>) horse pull the tines against itself. Not saying don't do it, just putting out a couple thoughts.

Dave, I guess that it would be fighting itself. Would the forward motion really affect the tines if they were opposing the tractor? BTW, it is a 4hp Briggs&Stratton.

Jeff, I am no engineer, But I think instead of the dirt rolling over the tines (front to back) it will keep throwing the dirt ahead, building up in front of the tines, if the engine could pull it.
Get that rototiller running just the way it is and try to drag it backwards while its digging in the dirt, see what happens.

Jeff:

Look closely at the 1st pic and you will see that the tines are rotating the same direction as the tires are. If you reverse it, it will build up a mound in front.

The cub tillers all rotate the same direction as the tires when traveling forward.

Need Some info.
Bought a 1811(782 except yellow) today that had had a fire. Fire started under dash and burnt everything there and melted the gas tank.Point is that the 1811 had hydrualics outlets out the front. The hoses up to the control lever where burnt but not in two. Is there a rebuild kit out there for the control valve. How much. How hard to redo. Going to put it on my 782. Any info would help.

(Message edited by mhughes on October 05, 2003)

Don V

You've got Cub mail

Jeff,
We sell Husqvarna tillers at work. They run the tines backwards and do a much better job of tilling than anything I have seen. The drawback is that they also have to put a 6.5 HP engine on a 18" cutting width and it works it when tilling deep. So if you decide to do it, you better get a much bigger engine on it. It will also keep it from pushing the unit forward and the tractor will actually have to pull it forward. You will also need some covers over the tines so that it can pull the dirt over the top.

Didn't any one want any of the collectors tractors on e-bay? I guess no one wanted a $3000 782D, a $1200 70, or a $1000 Original.

Tire question-
I know I have had (of maybe I still have them, with all this moving I don't know where anything is), some tri-rib front tires in a 4.80-8, NOT the 4.00-8 that everyone seems to be selling. Who the heck makes them???

Wes
I went and looked at some of them collectables. Most of them are in extremly good shape but way over priced. Thats where i bought my burnt 1811.

Back