• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 01, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdehli

displayname
Rob Dehli
Does anyone know who's handiwork this is?

170091.jpg

170092.jpg

170093.jpg

170094.jpg

Okay so the 79" belt is too long too. I'm starting to feel like a clobberhead! I see that there is a 75 1/2" and I will have to go back to the dealer after work tomorrow and trade in the 79" for that. I'm slightly frustrated at this point! I snagged the belt from the 106 to see if that one would work to no avail. I'm thinking of calling NAPA to see if they have one that will work only because they take care of me pretty good, so it cant hurt to try!

Scott, not sure if this will help or not...

170096.jpg

If only these prices were still in effect.
pop.gif

Kraig, I got the numbers and checked them out for length. They "should" work but for some stupid reason, beyond my mental capacity at the moment, are all too long. NAPA had nothing either. I think I will run the deck numbers again and make sure I got them right. I even took the belt off of the junk 42" deck to check the length and it is too short. I might have to get a "custom" belt. If anything the carb float will be adjusted right today!

A-HA!!!! My super smart wife has figured it out for me! Well at least gave me a solution. She asked if that deck came with the belt and I said yes but it was shot. She then said, "Well if it was shot why dont you cut it in half and then measure the length." I swear she is a genius! It turns out that is IS the 75 1/2" belt. Now I Do feel like a clobberhead!

Did I mention she works with mentally challenged people for a living? So what does that say about me?
whistling.gif

Slowly getting the 129 back into shape. Its taken a real beating this summer with all the rain, plus my hydro lift upgrade.

The engine is running well again, after pulling it apart and finding that the critical parts were more or less sound. The exhaust valve got a bit hot, so I lapped the valves and lightly honed the bore before putting it all back together again.

The results of my experiment going tubeless with the front tires indicated that a tube was indeed necessary, and it is holding air now. So much for cheaping out there!

The piano hinge at the front of the hood was quickly falling apart, so I ordered another one from McMaster-Carr. Their warehouse is in NJ, and I often get orders overnight here in MD even when I ship ground.

170116.jpg

The hood itself also took a bit of a beating acting as a workbench during the lift conversion, and I will eventually end up repainting it again, along with the lift lever, which I had to remove from the 1650 with liberal doses of hammering, combined with alternating doses of WD-40 and heat from my MAPP torch.

170115.jpg

One thing I did notice about the lift. Although it seems to be working properly, the range of the lift seems limited, I typically adjust the mower deck so the gauge wheels are just off the garage floor. The lift range is about the same as with the manual lift, but it would be nice to lift the mower a bit higher sometimes. I also notice that the springs on the control valves are pretty stiff as well.

At least I have a proper adjusting knob and cam now, I was tired of adjusting it with a hammer and vise grips.

170114.jpg

Thanks Bruce!

I have at least taken care of the gas leak and had to reset the float, got the 123 to idle down and it purrs like a kitty, a loud kitty! Need to put a new muffler on it. I noticed that it sounds a little different than my 2 K241's in the other 2 Cubs, a little more of a mellower sound. I dont believe the balance gears are in there because it shakes like a blown funny car! Overall not a bad day, aside from that whole belt thing!
thumbsup_old.gif

Just got back from a road trip with this.
170118.jpg

170119.jpg

extra "points" if you know what this is.
170120.jpg

Some extras
170121.jpg

OH yeah!

Scott, a good mechanic uses all resources available, You just proved your an excelent mechanic. <font size="-2">Yea, thats the ticket</font>

Richard is that a spark plug wire comeing out of the blower housing. Is/was this a recoil start original?

Allen Schumacher,
Nice answer. Maybe I could hook up some cardo paddles to it in case of an emergency.
old.gif
rofl.gif

Dave Ross,
I haven't dug into it yet. What would be the tell if it were?
All in all a nice tractor. Runs pretty good. It does smoke some. But I've had worse. All that's keeping me from driving it around is that it needs a new axle and spindles. This one gets the money.

Scott,
I thought I deleted that message
blush.gif

Anyway, the 77 inch belt I mentioned is the mule drive belt for my 129 with a 48 inch deck. YMMV

Scott and Dave,
Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. On my day job working on industrial strength mail extraction equipment, I have an operator who is very particular about how well her machine works. While she can be a real pain in the neck sometimes, she understands the mechanics of the machine very well and has come up with several sound suggestions for improving their operation over the years. I've even suggested to her that she might even consider working for us, but so far she's refused to take us up on it.

huh, Richard, A spark plug wire comeing out of the blower housing. It means at one time it was set up without the S/G. It acually brings up a question I've had for a while. Did the originals have the boss' on the block to mount the coil over the flywheel? Magnet on the flywheel to fire the coil? This is just one of those I wonder kind of things.

Hey Richard, does the data tag on there say K161T? If so, you've got a recoil start O, which is kinda rare. That would explain the mag wire...

Dave Ross,
A spark plug wire comeing out of the blower housing. It means at one time it was set up without the S/G.

I didn't know that units with a mag were pull start. Not knowing I assumed the mag was for ignition and it still ran a battery for starting and lights if you had them.

This is going to be a great journey for me and a labor of love putting her back to like new. I've even thought of selling one 100 to make more room and start funding it. Have fun Cubbing!

Hi I just picked up my first cub! Can someone help me on identifying the model I think it a 128 but I dont know. The serial number is2050045u460288. It has a loader on it that is why I bought it. It is in ruff shape but it runs and I got it for $200. I plan on stripping it down this winter and restoring it. thx

Matt Gonitzke,
It does look like it is a "T"! I have to remove the coil to be 100% sure. It also says: To Start Open cock below tank. Close choke and crank engine with firm steady pull. Open choke after engine is running. How cool is that?

Back