• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 30, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Ha, Ha, Mr. Archive Bug!
happy.gif

318375.jpg

Looks like Cub Cadet Yellow to me!
happy.gif

108 Electrical Help Needed.

I've never had to do any type of wiring before on a cadet or vehicle. The 108 has some issues from the previous owner and I bought it knowing this. It has the original wiring harness. It had the 5 prong key switch, not connected and the voltage regulator, not connected, was not correct. I have the correct key switch and voltage regulator along with the wiring diagram.

My issues are determining which wires coming out of the harness are for what. I'm guessing I need a meter if some sort to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike: Is this the wiring diagram you're using?

318379.jpg
(Say "Thank you, Roland").
happy.gif

Mike - I think the wiring diagram pic Frank posted is basically color coded correctly. It's nice for a quick reference but it's hard to see the different color stripes on some wires (and we all know the spark plug wire is black not orange). I'd recommend you get the 1x8/9 and Quiet Line Service Manual which has a black/white wiring diagram that states the color coding for each wire. I'll attempt to post a pic of it here. (it didn't work).

I will add I already don't like your harness since the terminals have been changed. I know it's hard to spring for a new harness but I'd give it strong consideration - or at least investigate a used harness but be very careful and selective.

Also, unless my eyes are deceiving me I believe you have the incorrect solenoid - but it may still work.

Here's another attempt at a pic of the 1x8/9 wiring diagram from the Service Manual. It's as big as I can make it and I'm sorry it's blurry. I'd get the manual.

318399.jpg

Thanks Harry. The solenoid is definitely not the correct one but it worked for the previous owner. I'm changing that also. The problem I'm having is all the wires look the same color (brown dry rotted and cracking) and I can't tell difference. I don't have much money in this at this point, about $100. I think this is a keeper so the new wiring harness is most likely the best bet. Although I haven't priced one yet.

Michael S.
Lacquer thinner on a rag in small spots does wonders for bringing the color back enough to see what it was.

I highly suggest getting a multimeter if you’re going to be doing any electrical work on pretty much anything.

It’s relatively easy to trace wires and check grounds (mostly anyway) in “continuity” mode, and you can see voltages on wires when the battery is hooked up.

I use mine to set points as well.

Even a super cheap one from Harbor Freight (under 10 bucks) will work fine for this sort of stuff.

You can rig up test lights and do other things to diagnose issues without a meter, but even a crap meter will make your life so much easier.

Fastenal called today and said I had a pallet they needed out of their way from a Cub dealer in Indiana that decided enough was enough, LOL
I was more than happy to relieve them of their burden!
318404.jpg

318405.jpg

318406.jpg

318407.jpg

Dang it Charlie - they put dents in those old IH Hy-Tran quart cans
biggrin.gif

Is that a Cyclops power steering shaft I see????

To me it looks like IH-385984-R91 which fits pretty much everything from a 70 thru the 1712, according to the parts lookup.

So the IH-385984-R91 is supposed to be 26.5" long and the one below measures 27 5/8" long. You might be right. I know I don't have a clue, LOL

Obviously not PS (When you get it out from under everything). I was hoping for the best!!!!

Back