• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 26, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfrisk

displayname
Dennis Frisk
BILL "QUICK QUESTION" J. - The cold weather thickens the oil, engine cranks harder and there may not be enough "juice" in the battery to give a proper spark to start the engine.

Thinner oil, like a 10W-30, or even 10W oil like the Q/L manual suggests for temps between Zero & 32 degrees. It says 5W-20 can be used below zero, and that is widely available. Just don't keep that thin oil in the engine when you start mowing next spring.

Bill J. Do you have a little kerosene on hand? If so then use say no more than two tablespoons full to thin your 30 weight oil. After the engine gets warmed up the kerosene soon disapates and will not remain in the engine. Then when you shut the engine off do what Dennis F. says and add a thinner oil. The kerosene won't hurt your engine and is actually what was recommended in the factory manual for years on farm tractors that were hard to crank or start in the winter. And I can tell you from personal experience that this little "Trick" works.
happy.gif
In fact you could possibly try one tablespoon only that may not be quite enough. I used about three fourths of a cup on my old F20 when I needed it when the temps got to the low teens and down to zero and below.

Bill "Quick Question" J - all these guys are providing you good advice, such as different weight oils (per Kohler recommendations), maybe even a little kerosene if you stick with 30W, and the heater to keep the HyTran warmed. Couple things to remember here, 1st - your engine is an "AQS" so it has the integrated starter rather than the S/G. I believe the little integrated starter spins the engine slower than an S/G (Maybe Dennis or others know exactly), and this usually means it takes a little longer to start. You have to have enough battery power to spin the engine fast enough to overcome the Kohler ACR (Automatic Compression Release) at about 600rpm. This requires a good strong battery especially in colder weather. When I lived in CT. I used to get by with 275CCA for my 14hp AQS, but you probably really should have about 350CCA or more. I'd also certainly make sure you've got a good tune-up, especially the timing (yes I'm a real stickler for making sure the timing is dead nuts on the S/SP mark), and the carb is adjusted properly. 1st few years I had my 1450 I used to worry cause the dang garage would get down to below freezing all the time, and I know close to zero sometimes, but the ole girl started for me every time I needed her. I ran 5W20 a few times because Kohler recommended it for zero and below, but that stuff just thinned up like water after she ran for a little while. I went to 5W30 and it really wasn't any better after running about 45minutes to an hour. I ended going back to using nice fresh 30W and never had an issue, and I started her up several times in the zero degree range.

Winter oil:

10W-30 semi-synthetic

battery:

300+ CCA (not CA, but CCA) with Battery Tender Jr. plugged in all winter to keep the battery "topped off" at all times for the most available power to start.

1/2 throttle, full choke......

Set the choke when you shut it off after moving snow, then if the cable freezes, at least it will fire.

Morning all,
I called the nearest (not close) IH Case dealer to me and reserved a 5 gallon container of Hy-Tran. One of my co-workers lives near the dealer and was kind enough to pick it up for me.

Instead of receiving a container of Hy-Tran I receive a container of hydraulic transmission fluid (number 737-3035).

Is this an acceptable alternative to use in my 1450 or should I return it?

Thanks for your input and have a great Thanksgiving.
Rich

Had quit a bit of snow accumulation today! The 71 has never been better equipped for snow removal than this year! I was out twice today clearing the drive,.... plenty of fun for the IH Cub Cadet enthusiast! I will defiantly paint the 42" blade next summer. The snow just don't roll off the blade like it should.

Seems to me, we always had a green/brown Thanksgiving the last few years ago. Not this year, about 6-8 inches total. Well, hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

Moved about 4 inches this morning. The QA 36 works a lot better with the engine at full speed. Had a suspicion last year that it wasn't. Bought a laser tach during the summer and set it right.

Geez, seems pretty quiet on here. Guess most everyone's out for a Turkey shoot.

John L - yes a good paint job will certainly help the snow roll off the blade. If your blade is currently rusty/crusty and the snows the sticky stuff you can end up with a big glob that just stays out in front of you, even when you're blade is angled.

Doug A - yup, the throwers were really designed to operate at full throttle. The thrower also needs to have a good paint job as well so the snow doesn't build up and/or stick.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Seems I'm pretty busy lately and barely have time to post.
I sincerely wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Please take time to remember the people who have helped you along in life and maybe help out someone you care about during the Holidays.

And to keep on topic...my IH Cub Cadets are yellow and white.

Thanks everyone on the cold start tips. I've got a new battery, 420 CCA, but will change out the engine oil to 10w-30. I'll take a look at a magnagetic block heater too. I should have some time to tinker with this over the long weekend. But I think my problem is lack of spark. Does the cold weather cause any ignition problems with points, condenser or coil as sometimes hot weather does?

Need to finish moving over the 3 point hitch to the 1650 and mount the snow blade and chains.

Richard W - I asked for hytran at an IH dealer and here's what I got and used.

265008.jpg

265009.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

BILL "Quik Question" J. - WOW.. five gallons of Hy-Tran!!! Even with my 982's Hydro drool & a similar leak on my #1 snow mover due to a leaky 60 yr old Pioneer quick coupler I buy a gallon a year and have 2-3 gal. I haven't opened yet.

There has been a "reformulation" this past summer on Hy-Tran, to make it more compatible with the other brands of equipment Case/New Holland has service & maintenance supply & parts responcibility for. But as Viscosity Oil has always done, it should work just fine on everything IH has ever recommended Hy-Tran for.

Had to laugh, I think the new sealed gallon jug of Hy-Tran I put in the #70 last spring said "Hy-Tran PLUS" on it which pre=dates Hy-Tran ULTRA by about a decade!

Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

I'm always thankful for having such a great Cub Cadet family. Thanks to each one of you how have been such a tremendous help on my Cub projects this past year. In addition; THANK YOU SPONSORS for all your support. My family is also very thankful that all you folks that have been touched by tragedy this year and are hear with us yet today, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
greenthumb.gif

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

Over a month and a half of fighting an off and on cold/flu bug. I need to get better so I can mount the snow removal equipment this weekend. Even Fancy is getting depressed at not being able to ride his 1650. The First Ride pictures turned out too dark or we would have posted one happy kitty. Anyone have any real good remedies that Angel and I could use to get rid of this "seasonal bug"? I've missed three weeks of work due to this critter.

Echoing everyone else's wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving.. I'm very thankful for all the goos people in my life, including those I've known, coming up on 14 years (off and on) here on the best forum (of any kind) on the 'net..

Charlie - a special wish from the turkey wishbone for you and your better half that this day is one of many more thanksgivings, and while you are displaced right now, that by next year you will be settled into that new home and looking back at a prosperous 2014...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
I read all the new post from the bottom to the top every evening.
No new progress on the cc 70. Most of the parts have been primed and hanging in the garage for months.

Latest posts

Back