• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 19, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Charlie! Can`t you fix this .
bash.gif

216646.jpg

Kraig, Matt-

Do you think it would be to my advantage to line up the set screw on the locking collar with the "extention" of the stepped down key? I'm sure yall know what I'm speaking of; the part of the key that will be going under the collar and bearing because of the worn keyway.

Wayne Shytle
Sure you Could but do you need to.(no) but if you feel Better go ahead. One might think it must be stronger, But not needed just to keep the flywheel providing air acrost the head. Kraig could fix that ! double server .
fence.gif
( The bear is Awake) Pay attention
worthy.gif
whistling.gif
explotar2jr.gif
noshare.gif
sorry.gif

I'm having a problem getting the pins out of the drive shaft going into the rear end. Any suggestions?

Wayne-

I don't think it will help; in fact, if that key moves around at all for some reason, it may work the setscrew on the locking collar loose. I would just assemble it normally.

Don-

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

One might think it must be stronger, But not needed just to keep the flywheel providing air acrost the head.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Huh??
1a_scratchhead.gif

Matt-

Thanks. I will now make sure the set screw is anywhere but.

Hey Don T.-

WE'RE OVER HERE......on the other side of the engine LOL.

Wayne Shytle

I knew that,lol , just hope Mat G was paying attention. If the load don`t pulsate then the key will hold was my point.Damaged key ways happen when the load slips and Changes its hold on the key way crank load. This cause the key to get beat .mat G with his degrees can add more on this I``am sure .

Thank you Melody,

I am going to try a different carb try and pick one up on ebay, if that doesn't do it I think I will pull the motor this winter and see what I can find. If the carb doesn't fix it I am thinking it is the ACR or timing issue?

Thank you,
Mike

Don,
Looks like you need a little planning and organization.Maybe go to a different level...looks like you have plenty of ceiling height to add some racks.

Mike F. I lost track of all you've done but some other<font size="-2">(usless?)</font> thoughts. Points moving smoothly...someone had a pix of a shattered set recently. Push pin at the points move ok? Last, do you know if it ever backfired?? Seems some models shear the key at the flywheel which will screw up timing as your suspicious about.

Mike,
The thing you mentioned that made me think was you said it spits gas out of the carb... That statement led me to postulate that something was pressurizing the intake tract, such as a valve not being allowed to close. This could be the ACR, or a bent/burnt/caroned up valve. Come to think about it, the timing could be advanced too far, causing the fire in the cylinder to happen too soon, and pressurizing the intake tract...

keep digging... we'll figger it out!!

The acr affects the exhaust valve. The ventury in the carb will work both ways, if the intake valve isn't sealing and on the compression stoke some of the pressure is bled off through the carb you can get gas droplets. Ive seen an engine do this and still run, pretty good.

Mike F.-

Are you sure the timing is set properly? These engines WILL start hard and spit gas out of the carb if the timing is incorrect.

Shad Faulkner

I see you have an Original, Is that the tractor you are talking about? If so why do you need to remove the pins? If you look close at a coiled roll pin you can see what direction it was installed. You just have to remove it opposite to how it was installed. I pays to have a roll pin punch for this job. they will cause the center of the pin to move first and that breaks the tension in there fit.Its Worth buying a set for these old tractors.

I have a 982 and i am trying to hook up H48 snowblower. I dont know where to hook up the lift linkage underneath the tractor. Pics would be great. Can anyone help? Thanks

Tyler-
Does this help? The lift BAR goes back to the transmission where it actually pivots on a shaft that goes into the transmission....

216670.jpg

Home of the plow. Do you know if that shaft that holds the back on is the same shaft that supports the 60inch deck? Hope that make sense. Thanks

I have two spots where shafts can go through. One is cast into the tranny and the other is two plates bolted to the side of the tractors frame. The bolted one is the one i use for the 60inch deck. Thanks

Thank you very much guys for all info.

I had never thought of a sheered key way but that is possible, and yes it has back fired before. It would also explain all the issues.

Is there any adjustment to the timing other than points gap?

Thanks again
Mike

Back