• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 18, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donald, thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm describing it wrong. It's the smaller button that can lock out the lift and allow it to float.

Brian - that small button is called the "Lock Assy, Release". For some reason they don't show it in the parts diagram. They actually list it under the components of item 4 in the pic. It's Part No. IH 401449-R1 and appears to still be available. Recommend you contact one of the Sponsors listed in those boxes above to order one.
Now, this little button is a "self contained spring loaded assembly", and it is a "press fit" into that little hole in the lift arm. I don't know how others install it but I usually use a small socket equivalent to the area around the outside of the button (not the actual moving button part) and a pair of pump pliers (channel locks) and a rag around the rubber grip. Using these things I carefully press the button into the arm. Sometimes it slips off and I use a few cuss words, and sometimes it falls back out if not pressed in enough and I use a few more cuss words. The dang thing is hard to see if it's pressed in enough do to the rubber grip. If it's not to costly you might want to order 2 and keep one on the shelf in case it falls out again. Maybe someone else on here has a better installation method and will let us all know.

Don T - those alligator clips are supposed to have little covers over them so your fingers are isolated from the contact (and so you don't burn your fingers). And by the way, did you find them in the Flower Power section of the Garden Dept?

Brian: Interesting. Could it be that it's built into #4? The parts list has a #IH-401449-R1 Lock Assy., Release for $23.87.
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

Brian C. Hoffman
Ok , that parts display does not show the button. It is located in the plastic Handel and when pushed in it locks where you want for float . this allows the part number 5 not to connect to part number 6 .That button is held in with a nut over the button if I remember correctly.Remove the nut and the button will come out. check number 5 to see if it is wore or the button can be worn or missing.

Huydo Harry beat me to it.I could not for the life of me at the moment what they were called.I told him I wanted clips that would have a solder connection and A Gage of wire and gave him that number . to much info I guess ,But he walked down a row and on one side that would take me 15 minutes to find.Passed me two in a package. I smiled and thanked him lol. I do most of my shopping there because they are very good mostly at helping us old folks with crs.
1a_scratchhead.gif
old.gif

I did shrink wrap the ends to add to the strenth of the conection .

Don - there is no nut on that button. The only nut I know of is north of the border
happy.gif

Brian

I would take the whole Assembly off so you could use a vice and a small socket to press the button back in place. pounding out the roll pin removes the assembly off the shaft .You Can use vice grip pilers on the end of the case to lock on the shaft for float till you get the correct parts. just push the top button down till 5 clears 6 and snap on the vgrips.Float is need and handy for many jobs.

Frank - how did you get that pic? Is your tractor up on it's hind end? The lift arm is supposed to be vertical.
Now, I was hoping to get some input from others on how exactly they install this dang little button assembly. I suppose Don starts by using one of those alligator clips (although not sure what he puts in the clip, hehehe)

Frank and hydro

Thanks guys, must be my Meds.I did remember to use a wood dowel and slid that down the lift with ever thing apart. I did not want to crush the sleeve.Hole drilled in the dowel and a socket that missed the button and it sit on the edge in a vice. I have done many a drive shaft joint with sockets and a vice.
worthy.gif

Back