• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 17, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earl L - I'm not laughing at you. I'm old too. Using an Ohm meter is a static method that's been described before on here AND it does work. I still think there is a slight very minimal chance that the timing could be slightly off when you use this method. It might only be by 1 or 2 degrees at most or it could be dead nuts. I've just never tried it and then attempted to verify it by using a timing light, which is a dynamic (live) method. Since you said you got the timing "right on", did you check it using your timing light when you were done? Was it right on the "center" of the line marked S or SP? Or was it just to the top or bottom side of the line?

I'd really like to know just how exact the Ohm meter static method is.

Made in America isn't cheap
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 136
Well, at least it looks like the Kohler two-tier thing isn't a men vs. women thing. I wish Kohler still made most of the things we still need these days. I think most of it is probably job shopped out. All the old Kohler K series blocks got melted down a long time ago and made into bath tubs.
a_weep.gif

Attachments

• a_weep.gif
    a_weep.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 134
Harry:
I did not check the timing with a light after using the ohm meter to time it. I do know that it now runs better than it has for a while. I am out of town now and will check it when I return. The meter just makes it so easy. At least for me.
Earl

Earl - I figured you meant using the Ohm meter just made it easier to set the timing. I know some of the K series engines have the timing site hole on the opposite side from the points location so you have to jump back and forth or have a buddy help. I'm just trying to find out if using an Ohm meter is dead nuts accurate or just close.

Harry,

The only method that is DN Accurate is a dynamic timing with a strobe timing light. The flywheel would have to be marked for exact timing using a degree wheel and dial indicator to determine TDS of the piston.

The factory timing marks and/or the ohm meter method are good enough for everyday use, but neither is DNA. The ohm meter method is good if you buddy is useless.

Jim

Jim: Now I know why I use the ohmmeter method.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 126
I never did figure out how to use the ohm meter/static method of timing because I have never found the marks on the flywheel. When I replaced the points in my 1250,I ended up to removing the side cover to get a SWAG for Top Dead Center, and set the points with a feeler gauge. It is a good thing that points do not need frequent replacement and the Kohler is fairly forgiving.
lurking.gif

Attachments

• lurking.gif
    lurking.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 132
Does anybody know where the Cub Original with the front mounted M&W mower That Geezer DeTurck used to own out east? I believe I have a part for that Cub that he was missing.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 139

Latest posts

Back