• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 17, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
Well, I finally got the blower hooked up tonight on the 782 and tried it out! It worked pretty good all things considered. We got about 2 or 3 inches of that wet sticky snow today and yesterday. Its melting but it keeps piling on too. Can't see the grass in most places. So I gave it a few runs up and down the driveway. Picked up some crushed stone with it, surprise, surprise! Just wondering, is there a way to level them? The left side seems to hang lower than the right. Does that mean my frame is twisted on the blower or is this common with them since the lift rod is only on one side and not both lifting evenly? Need to get the brain working right now with the reversed lift idea, but I will get onto it soon enough. I actually got a thumbs up from the wife in the window when I drove by with it. Things are looking up!

Thanks to all who had input on this venture, I needed it.
bouncy.gif

Ed C - one more thing I forgot to mention besides the throttle linkage, and choke lever, the fuel inlet connector could be turned different direction - another pain to change but can be done (usually with heat). It's also one more thing you could see as a difference in a few pics if you got some.

Being new to the forum I would like to say Hello to all and hopefully I will have a few things to contribute as time progresses. I own Rokons and a Ural sidecar rig so I am quite happy with high maintenance projects and I am looking forward to a nice garden tractor.

I am heading down Thursday to pick up a tired looking 149 and I had a quick question for the collective. The pictures do not show a PTO clutch lever on the tractor and I was wondering if this would have come that way originally or if it has just been removed for some reason. If it runs as good as the seller says and the lift works then it will push snow this Winter which is all I need at the moment and I will deal with the PTO and clutch in the Spring. Main thing I am concerned about is if there is a reason someone would have pulled the PTO and clutch off that would make reinstalling it a major project. I do not mind fixing it I am just looking at adjusting buying price accordingly because I do want to put a mower on it for the Summer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Dana

292176.jpg

292177.jpg

292178.jpg

292179.jpg

Dana,
Welcome to the forum! It looks like a PO replaced the original engine with one from a Quietline. These would've had an electric PTO, not a manual PTO that was originally on the 149. You could make an electric PTO work with some wiring changes to the 149. All 1X8/1X9's came from the factory with the manual PTO and PTO lever. They must of removed it, too.

Dana ,,,Welcome, as my buddy Josh said that engine is from the series after the 149. does the front of the engine have a clutch on it? if so the electric should be no problem.

Dana, I agree w/Jeff. Take a close look at the PTO and see if there is a wire coming from it and if it is connected to anything. Follow the wire , providing there is one, to see where it goes, maybe to a hidden switch somewhere??

If there is a wire but no connection anywhere, run a hot jumper to it to see if it will engage. You should hear an audible click and see it move if it is operative.

If no wire and switch is present, it will require some wiring and the correct switch to ensure proper operation and make sure the tractor won't start with the PTO engaged for safety.

these parts from any Q/L should not be too hard to obtain as these tractors live all over the place.

Good luck!!

Thanks all, I did notice that the breather and a few other things looked different in the pictures from what I have seen in other 149 pictures but I guess I just did not think about an engine swap. I did not consider an electric PTO either and I suppose I should have.

I have not seen it in person yet and it is about 130 miles one way so I am just taking the trailer and some cash on Thursday and if it runs like he says and the hydro lift works then I will bring it home and deal with the rest as time goes by.

I will check to see if there is a PTO unit of any kind but that is not really that important to me either way since I know I can always get one working especially since I now know the motor has been swapped out. Mainly looking at what I am willing to give him for it.

Dana - that' obviously the wrong motor for a 1x8/9, hopefully not a non-cub version cobbled in to fit. The shift lever is also non-standard. I'd look it over well before jumping for it - the changes might be more extant than that. If it runs good, the lift works and the hydro works well, it would indeed make a good snow pusher at the least. Good luck!

Dana - just thought I'd pipe in as well. While I agree with everything others have mentioned, I'm going to double up on what Gerry Ide mentions "I'd look it over well before jumping for it". Seeing that non-standard speed control lever (Gerry calls shift lever) is a big concern to me. I would have some suspicion of the linkage being modified. Not that it wouldn't work, but how well and how correctly does it operate?

With regard to the PTO lever missing (on the left side), I also see the turn-buckle linkage for it is missing on the right side, and the front lever with button is also missing. This engine uses an integrated starter instead of the Starter/Generator used on a 149, and I suspect the location of the integrated starter conflicts with the turn buckle so the entire PTO linkage and assembly had to be removed in order for this engine to be used.

I copied and enlarged one of the pics and it certainly looks like the electric PTO has been removed as well. You'll probably see the crankshaft sticking out of the engine about 3".

I also see the air duct on the front of the engine which was not used on a 149 but the muffler box that would attach with it is gone and the original style 149 muffler is installed. The air duct probably conflicts with the basket pulley used for the Starter/Generator belt. So this would be another thing you'd have to change in order to use the manual PTO if you want to go back to 149 style. Others suggest going forward to the electric PTO but if it's not there at all this could get a little expensive.

I see you're in Colorado and we don't have many members there, and I suspect not many IH Cub Cadets. There are used parts readily available in the Midwest and East Coast areas, so you'd have to pay shipping for anything.

It might be sorta minor, but the hood appears to be pushed down lower than the front of the dash housing. I suspect the hood support bracket that bolts there has been removed and is missing.

Not trying to scare you off here. This tractor could be a good snow pusher (recommend at least a pad on that seat pan). But bringing the PTO back to life could take quite a bit. Also, you'll need a set of chains for those rear tires to push snow. Turf tread tires would be better as well than the AGs on it now for snow.

And one more thing, the 149 would have a Kohler Model K321A 14hp engine. There should be a decal tag on the left side of the flywheel shroud on this engine just below where the choke and throttle cables are mounted, and right where the frame curves down and narrows. If this is a 14hp engine it will show Model K321AQS on the tag. If you can't see a tag and/or model number it could be anything from a 10hp (K241AQS), 12hp (K301AQS), or even possible a 16hp (K341AQS).

Question on K-161's-
I'm rebuilding the K161 off my 71, so it has the 2 7/8" bore. Is it possible to bore my block out to the later 2 15/16" bore? That seems like alot of metal to remove if I could. Would there be any power gain with that, if I could?

I was looking forward to using the new to me qa42 tonight. It didn't fair well. Hoping it was just the wet snow. The cc36 did much better last year in similar snow. I may have to turn up the rpms......

Matt M:
I started years ago with a QA36 that had been given to me (yup, a plain QA36, I widened the mount to fit the wideframe 129). I later traded for a QA42A, which I still have. In my book, the 36 handled wet snow better and launched it farther. My only complaint was the 36 was offset to the right a little because of the widening I did on the left mounting rail and it tended to not clear all the snow in front of the left front wheel when turning. The width of the cut on the '42A is much better suited to the width of the tire track on the 129..

Gerry,
thanks for sharing your experience. Im going to see how the 42 does tonight on the fresh snow. I may make new holes in the qa42 mount to fit the CC36. I do like the quick hitch.

CLARK - The parts necessary to rebuild a 2-7/8" bore K161 do not exist anymore. Boring to 2-15/16's inch bore is required, then you still have the ability to use a standard bore, and .010", .020", & .030" over-size bores.

Don't expect to be able to feel any power increase, there may be some, but very modest to the point of being not noticeable.

Dana, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Matt, if there is any rust, even a little bit, in the discharge chute and "throat" area leading to it, it will not throw snow, especially wet snow, very well. If there is rust, spend a few minutes sanding or wire brushing the rust off and spray some primer and paint on it then once that is dry brush on some graphite paint like "SLIP Plate" or some other brand. You could also use the spray on version but it does not have as much graphite content as the brush on version. Also if/when you do this, remove the discharge chute and coat the mating surfaces with the graphite paint as this will help a little bit to prevent freeze ups with the chute rotation. FWIW, I would do this "maintenance" as in rust removal, before attempting to do any "speed up" mods. Here are some links to the FAQ regarding SLIP Plate/graphite paint and snowthrowers:

SLIP Plate

SLIP Plate more

What are the chances of finding somebody who has a M&W front mounted mower for a Cub Cadet Original?

well I hate to admit I still have Cubs stored outside with little cover. Time goes so fast and I`am just getting caught up and winter has arrived .

292198.jpg

Back