• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 16, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don T.
I know EXACTLY where that water comes from.
I'm bettin Kurt has been close to your tractor too!
181277.jpg

Thank You Kraig for diggin that picture up.
buttrock.gif

Don T., really great looking front end loader. I was looking at the oil filter position. Do you forsee any danger of that getting hit while doing some sort of grading operation??

Hello there everyone!
Been awhile since I've been on here, other things in life have taken control for a bit.

Cub problem for the day is...

What causes a motor to keep rolling even after the key is shut off?

My 127 has a rocker switch in between the battery post on the solenoid and the charging indicator. If you shut off this switch it cuts power to the V/R. If on, you can then turn the key to start and it will start. If you turn the key off but the rocker still on the motor will stop firing but continue to try and roll by the S/G. Slowy, but will roll. Once you turn off the rocker switch off you can hear a click in the V/R and everything goes dead.

To start all of this I replace the V/R because it wasn't charging. I got a new one and installed. I then looked at the old one with the cover removed and found the top point was melted off. I figured that's why it wasn't charging. The wiring on the tractor had been replaced, not with an original equipment harness, but looks good.

I'm thinking I have either a bad key switch or the solenoid is sticking closed and not releasing the magnetic switch. Can they go bad that way or will they only stick open?
Also the key switch is a 5 pole but labeled well and the wires are attached to the correct poles.

I believe either of the above is what caused the old V/R to burn off the point contact and why it won't charge because the S/G thinks it's still supposed to be starting and not going into the generate mode.

What say the masses?

Don T.-- Great job! however the filter location is the first thing that I noticed too, it says hit me.

Keith LeJeune
<What causes a motor to keep rolling even after the key is shut off? >

Well i could be wrong but the think the regulator
is sticking and keeping power to the SG . Thats why your other sg had found the top point was melted off. I would go out and buy a new wire set for that tractor and dump all the PO mods. Just my .02

Well Charlie I don`t have any flying squirrels around here lol
clappy.gif

Guys the hyd filter was put there as per the plans that I used. I have used the Cub about 64 hrs now and have not hit it YET lol. I do watch out for it when i`am using the loader.

Just left the machine shop to get some steel to make a new coupling for the CV drive shaft. I will post what i`am up to and put before and after shots of the coupler later.
later Don T

Scott T,

That fender has the cleanest looking battery box/tray I've seen in a while. It also looks to have very few "dings". It looks like it will clean up nicely. I'm getting ready to do the frame and fenders for my 149 and I wish they were in as good shape as yours. And all for $28?

Nice find, can't wait to see everything painted.

Wayne

Wayne,
You've got that right... My old one had severe cancer, and suffered from repeated tire chain 'snag' syndrome...

Got it mostly sandblasted, have to go to parts store for some mounting studs for the engine. The hydro was sitting in the frame when I realized that I needed to put all of the speed control plates/linkages in.... DOH!!! So out it came again... Grr.

I hate to throw parts at something, but since the 127 has a 5 pole ignition switch in there instead of the correct one I'm gonna start there. I hate those generic Indak keys anyway.

Keith - the only time I've had it happen, there was a set of points stuck in the V/R.. I "fixed" it with a good whack, evidently scared the crap out of that gremlin, never came back...
I believe it is the cutout relay in the V/R that would be sticking - this is the GEN connection and if it were stuck, it would provide DC to the same field winding that is supplied DC by the starter solenoid .. If you look at the wiring diagram here, you'll see what I mean. If this happens, disconnect fairly quick, cause the wiring from the GEN terminal is much lighter than the big battery cable and you'll pretty quickly let all the smoke that's in that GEN wire connection escape..
BTW - that key switch could be putting power to the solenoid all the time...........

Yes, Kendell the blue GEN wire does get warm if I don't kill the rocker switch. I haven't left it this way for long.

Back