• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 11, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpalmer

displayname
Richard Palmer
181020.jpg

Treat your dog like a veteran and you'll find yourself in front of a judge.

KENDELL - I don't think I ever had my tired old 307 over about 5200-5300 RPM, I was however in third gear, little Muncie 3-speed, 3.08 gears and the rear tires were something like 27-28" tall, figured out about 120-125 MPH.
The engine was coughing & sputtering the whole time! I had put an Edelbrock Streetmaster intake on a couple months before and the adapter to put the 2 bbl carb on the 4-bbl manifold made it so I had to run the top of the air cleaner right-side-up. And hour of "Shop time" and the filter housing was modified with an enlarged inlet and a second almost as big inlet 90 degrees away....no more coughing & sputtering above 5000 rpm, but those were just 1st & second gear pulls. Poor Man's dyno ya know.

SON's got a good set of Cleveland 4 BBL heads out in the shop. We just need to find a good short block to put under them, drop the results into a SWB 80's RANGER and go embarrass some poeple! Most of the "Good Cleveland Parts" are all "Down Under", Australia built Clevelands for several years after Ford US stopped.

NOW, to keep this On Topic. Ford also made Industrial engines based off their great little 60 Deg. V-6's from Germany. The early 2.6 & 2.8L V-6, and later the 2.9L EFI V-6 in Rangers & Bronco II's. HOT little engine!
I worked for a local seed corn company detassling corn a couple summers back in the 70's. The one brand of tassle cutter the co. hadwas powered by a V-4 Ford industrial engine & 4-speed trans. AWESOME little engine. VERY compact, water-cooled. Seems like it would have dropped right into an SGT.

God Bless America!!!
Maybe you have spoken those words yourself, or have a bumper sticker proclaiming them.
In more ways than I can fathom, We are blessed simply because generations of men and women have proudly stood up and defended the freedoms we all hold so dear.
Freedom comes with a price tag...Our freedoms have been bought and paid for by our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Air Forces, and other Patriots.
Knowing full well the price they may have to pay to ensure that America remains forever the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave".
In my opinion, our Veterans are our most precious National treasure. We should treat them as such, on everyday, and in every place they may be found.
If you are a Veteran I thank you. Please know that you are loved and your sacrifices will not be forgotten.
May God Bless You and may you find peace for the rest of your days.

Happy Veterans Day! Hope there is no limit on the # of questions. I am redoing a cast iron deck. The spindle assembly, where the blades bolt onto - is it supposed to be solid, or is the shaft supposed to rotate separate from the cup? Also, where can I get replacement friction washers that go between the blade and the spindle cup? Thanks.

GREG P. - If by "Cup" You mean the cylinder under the deck that goes around the cast spindle housing, Yes, it's welded to the flat surface on the bottom of the spindle. Protects the seals from grass wrapping & destroying the seals.

We discussed the "Friction washers" 6 to 12 months ago. I haven't used ANY in over 30 years, maybe longer, and on 5-6 different Cubbies. I've never had a problem with blades loosening as long as You get the spindle nuts tight. I suggest a cheap 1/2" impact. Other's didn't use them as well, Some did. I think CC Specialties has them, maybe just not listed.

ANYHOW, I'm sure getting tired of all this green equipment running up and down and up and down the road. The Guys who farm around three sides of Our yard use ALL RED Equipment and they were done combining last Sunday.
greenthumb.gif

Semper Fi to all the other Marines out there, happy birthday (yesterday) and Happy Veterans Day today. Thank God for all those who gave.
On topic, I used the non-contact L.E.D. tach I got and it worked great. Used it on the 149 and the Original. Nick
181039.jpg

I am about to start taking apart my 129 to try and replace the governor gear. I have looked at the archive and did not find much info regarding this project. Does anyone know if anyone has ever posted any procedures to replace the gear. I have a shop manual but being a little green at this job any information helps and I have found great info here.
Thanks for any help
Earl LaMott

earl... its not a hard job, but it does require complete teardown on the engine tho, i dont know what "shop manual" your refering to but the kohler K series service manual it available from there site and it explans how to completely tear down and replace everything, helps me all the time!
good luck!

Hay guys I am hoping some one has the break dawn of the spring assist and hitch for a narrow frame. (122)
1a_scratchhead.gif

Please guide and guard the men and women who are serving, and have served this country both at home and abroad, and bless those who have been taken from us. God Bless and Thank you for your service.

Matt:
Thanks for the comment regarding replacing the governor gear. You will probably be hearing from me with questions as I get into it.
Earl

I scored a brand new K321 head for $26. Hopefully that will cure my head gasket eater. It's going on with an OE gasket.

After 4 winters of scooping snow, I finally found a blade. So I figure if I'm ready for it, it shouldn't snow!

EARL - Matt's correct, the gov. gear/assembly is The LAST part to come out of the engine block if it's "Properly assembled". A CC service manual for most CC's have a pretty good section on "Engine Assembly" but like Matt says, do a search on "Kohler" and in their engine section of their website You want to look up "Classic Engines". The K-series manual coveres everything from a K91 (4 hp) to K341 (16 hp). The K361 (18 hp OHV) got it's own manual even though most of it is same as K341. It's about 147 pages if I remember right. Hope Your not on "dial-up" but I'd print it off & read it before You pull the engine & start disassembly.

Depending on what else You do to the K301 all You'll need to disassemble & reassemble besides simple hand tools are a flywheel puller (harmonic balancer puller works) and a good torque wrench. Ohhhhh and if Your K301 has balance gears in it yet, LEAVE them out also.

Back