• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 07, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, Ryan, I can't take any credit for that engine, David Kirk is rebuilding it for me so the accolades should be directed to him.

Ryan, yes the drive shaft condition is giving me some reservations, I have a refurbished one on hand to install just in case.
beerchug.gif

Don, I second what Ryan wrote about the Slip-Plate.

Kurt, long time no post! Good to see you're still alive!
buttrock.gif

Kraig - how about using Slip-plate on that anti-glare hood - it'd keep the snow off....
lol.gif

I heard of a couple guys who painted the undersides of decks with POR15 then two coats of slip plate and had excelent results. My step father has used the POR15 doing restorations on model "A"s and did not like the results at all, said after a year it was comming off. I don't think it was a surface prep problem as he does good prep work and what he doesn't do, I do. We always use epoxy primer. The epoxy and slip plate will also work great under decks.

just my 2 cents
happy.gif

Bren

Thanks for all the info on slip-plate for my deck.every year i boil oil with a wax seal from a toilet and spray it on the deck. i have noticed that it dosen`t stay on(must be asorbed in the clippings) hers hope slip-plate will keep my mower deck from rusting. thanks all Don

Brendan - I used the gas tank sealer Eastwood sells on a fuel tank Son & I built 6 months ago....not sure if it's similar to POR 15 or not but I also was fairly well disappointed with the results. So far that tank hasn't leaked! but the inside looks like heck.

Have you ever wondered about putting a set of narrowed rims with a 1"id wheel bearing on a 3/4" spindle of a NF cub?
Well I was just wondering that myself today, here is what I came up with,
Take a narrowed 1"id wheel bearing rim,
70034.jpg

Grab a old spindle you have laying around and
grab a couple cat.1 to cat.2 spacers,
70035.jpg

slip them over the old spindle like so,
70036.jpg

insert spindle through bearings,
70037.jpg

mark bushing to needed lenght,
70038.jpg

put bushing in vice,
70039.jpg

put on your PPE,
70040.jpg

Take angle grinder with cutting wheel and cut to lenght,
70041.jpg

File off any burs and slide onto spindle already attached to your tractor, and there you have it, narrow rims with 1"id wheel bearings.
70042.jpg

70043.jpg

This should also work with the wide rims with the larger 1" wheel bearings, as the rims I used where once of the wide type.

I am pretty sure that Mike M makes them spacers too, for putting Original rims on 3/4" spindles.

Kraig,
Kirk does it again!! Man is that sure beautiful!
Now it just needs some flat black around it to protect it.
proud.gif

I was given a Cub Cadet 169 in good condition EXCEPT that the 16HP motor in gone. While I am not knowledgeable about motors, I know it was a Kohler K341, but I don't know what the Spec# is. I'm trying to find a used motor or a short block, but they tell me I must have the right Spec# for the Model 169. Would appreciate help with the Spec# and any hints were to look for a motor.

Art, I did remember the "plow Sprcial"! Also was trying to remember what was done to the 10 hp that lives in it.
Has anyone had any luck with finding drive cups with differrent size pully? Looks like the easy speed change.

Lonnie-
I don't get it... Why would anyone be interested in taking a wide (1" spindle) wheel, put the time into making it narrow, then figure up some bushings to make it fit a N.F. spindle when you can buy skinny front rims for narrow frames all day long? I'm not ripping on ya, I just don't get it....
70054.gif

Jerry-
Nothing was done to that engine. It was just dropped in there. The only work was getting it to fit.

As far as speed-up pullies are concerned, I made one using a steel pulley and section of 2" dia. pipe. It's not pretty, but it's functional and it gave me a bit more speed. Someday I'll take it off and make a BIGGER one.
Shift.gif

Mike M had talked about making some "real" ones machined out of aluminum, but I don't think he ever got around to it. Oh Mike??????

Art.
Why not
dunno.gif

The narrowed rims are from when I had them made up for my 3235, but I did not like the looks of them on the 3235 so they have been sitting in the storage buildig for a year or so and I thought it was time to do something with them.

Andy,
Like Art said, I had a wide set cut down and rewelded as they are not avaiable in narrow rim with 1"earings for a cub, and any other rim with the 1"bearings the hub was to wide for the spindles.

Thanks Matt for the info on the spindles. Since the mower deck belt is wider on the 582, maybe I can simply swap the pulleys and I'd be okay. Are you thinking that the deck lift assembly would match up even though one is a wide frame and one a narrow?

Marty

Marty N.-

If you put a center pulley from an older deck on it, you'll be fine. However, the subframe (the part that connects the deck to the tractor) is going to be different. I'd put a want ad in the classifieds, there's got to be someone with an extra somewhere. I have many of them but I think I need them all right now.

Bryan,
Do you mean this building or the second one??

Wyatt,
Harvester perk is still there. Kinda' interesting working on Ol' Route 66 and acroos the street from the, as it was once called, the "Hinsdala Farm".
70068.jpg

70069.jpg

Art.
Another reason I took the time to come up with the bushing idea is just incase I decide I want to change front tires depending on what type of traction control I might need or floataion need I might have.
Besides that I tried selling those narrow rims with the 1" bearinga a couple of times and never once got a nibble. So I decided to put them to use for the lack of some thing beter to do inbetween the time I wake up at 11am and head out for work at 4pm each day.

Lonny-
You had a hard time getting rid of 1" bearing, narrow rims? I had been searchin for those for a long time so I could run narrow rims in the winter.

Latest posts

Back