• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 04, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbranstetter

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Brian Branstetter
Dennis-

I did spend over forty dollars for a regulator, just not the right one.
clappy.gif
The used one looked like it came out of a real beat piece of junk and it worked great! I have a brand new wiring harness for my tractor so that would be a great time to think about a relocation upgrade. Good point about moving it to a lower heat area of the tractor, now that you bring that up, I'll be prospecting a new area for that.

Terry R - yup back in the day, BGC, this org was quite religious and various members used to put together great bon fires in which we would burn those green machines (actual names could not be mentioned without payment of penance).

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they got religion)

Can you guys that are all winterized help me out here? My son needs a set of chains for his 23x8.5x12 tires. If my memory is correct the chains that standard chains that fit these tires have 10 links across the tread face of the tire (not including the connecting links), and there are 10 rows of these links. Am I correct? Could one of you count these links and rows and let me know?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(but they need to be ready for winter)

Harry, I have two sets for 8.5x23x12 tires. Both sets are two link chains, as in there is a cross link every two links. I believe there are more than 10 links across, perhaps 12. And for sure on the 2 link versions there are 20 rows of cross links. I'll try to remember to count the cross links on one of my sets of chains this evening.

215775.jpg

215776.jpg

Harry Bursell
I took this picture and then reread your post,This chain is for 23x10.5x12 48" long 16" wide . I will post this for some one who needs bigger tire chaines. these fit great.
215779.jpg

BRAIN - Without checking the cost of a new V/R I didn't want to DATE My self too much but I guess I did anyhow.
dunno.gif

For about 6-8 yrs after I installed the K241 in the 72 was when I was having the V/R problems. If I had the engine running half throttle and I'd open the hood the normally three inch square black V/R cover would be about FIVE inches square. That's a lot of vibration abuse. The 129 I had at the time NEVER had V/R issues during the 1 or so yrs I owned it so I mounted the 72's V/R where the 129's was!

HARRY, DON - re Tire chain fitment - Bigger is BETTER. The longer cross chains let the side chains extend further up or down the sidewall of the tire and make it impossible for the chains to fall off the tire. No tarp straps required.

I have a pair of chains for my CC 72 w/23-8.50 Firestones off an ATV, think they were size 25-8.50 X 11 or some odd size like that. Width and over-all diameter are the ONLY critical dimensions. Wheel size makes NO difference. The side chains run in the middle of the sidewalls. No way they'd ever come off unless they broke. And because I don't like to have the side chains come unlatched, I BOLT my side chains together with 1/4" x 3/4" or 1" capscrews, flat washers & nylon insert locknuts. The threaded end of the bolt AWAY from the tire sidewall.

Chains are just like wheel weights, doesn't matter how FANCY they look, just the fact that they are there and they stay there and work.

I break a cross chain every once and a while, my 6-12 chains are VERY old and abused. My local CC/Case/IH dealer has replacement cross chains in stock most winters and I always get a couple every winter. The twisted link with the reinforced "V" shaped lug or bar across them are the best!

Don, I have a set like those that I bought for use on the 1958 Willys Station Wagon that I used to own. I never used them they are still in the box. Someday I'll adjust them to fit one of my Cub Cadets.

Denny, I only recently (8 or 9 years ago) started to use the bungee straps to keep the chains tight. The only time I've ever thrown a chain was back in the late 1970s when I didn't take my time to install the chains on the then mom & dad's 125.
blush.gif
I like the chains nice and snug, the bungees accomplish that.

Don T
SO we keep this CC related...are those batteries for wide frame or narrow? And is there a shortage coming up that we need to know about???
dizzy.gif

Mike LaMar

Those are real good 6 volt batteries for my 5er, I have plans for four next season with the 50 wat solar pannel.I can watch movies of the Cubs wile camping , keeps the ich away
clappy.gif

Here are the chaines laid out. not much difference in size,9links 14" wide x 48 " long .
But I forget what I got these for ,might have been the 125
1a_scratchhead.gif

215809.jpg

shhh.gif
6 volt batteries...

215811.jpg

They wouldn't fit in any of my <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadets so I had to put them somewhere so I put them at the cabin.

sorry.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

That must be some Cabin , I would love to see pictures of that .Nice set up there for the java maker .
thumbsup_old.gif

DONALD - Yep, THOSE are the best chains.

KRAIG - First couple yrs I tried to move snow with the 72 I had "Chains" that were nylon webbing as the side chains, and some sort of tough plastic cross bars with two little tungsten carbide "Studs" just like the old studded snow tires had. Only problem was the tough plastic cross bars weren't tough enough. Except for the few times the cross bars didn't twist when spinning a tire the studs never scratched my brand new concrete driveway. But they eventually broke, and the nylon webbing frayed. They lasted 2-3, maybe 4 yrs and got tossed.

I've seen those "cable chains" for today's FWD cars and thought they might be the hot ticket for concrete & blacktop drives.

I dont run my chains tight at all. I figure a couple bungee straps are just something else to loose until spring. Lost a small log chain off the axle carrier on the Super H pushing snow once last winter. Thought it was a SNAKE slithering off into the snow drift..... Then I thought, "Why in the HECK is a snake outside with temps in the TEENS?"
1a_scratchhead.gif

This is Cub related.I want to install these 75 lb weights and an IH set . I`am thinking treaded rod bolted to the rim , loctight the insde nut and washer the one inside the wheel. I find it real hard to hold up all that weight and get it bolted on.I don`t have plans of doing this often.
I`am open to ideas.
1a_scratchhead.gif

215814.jpg

Don, there's a few photos of the cabin HERE Scroll down to my Monday, November 09, 2009 - 09:19 am post.

Denny, with loose chains, bad things can happen...

215816.jpg

Kraig

(I decided to give myself an early birthday present (Sunday was my birthday) of a Friday off of work and a couple days at the cabin to do some small projects and to hunt some ruffed grouse. ) Happy Birthday early , so I don`t forget to say it on time. Nice cabin I like to get away sometimes.

Nope not saying a work after seeing them thar fenders Kraig posted BTDT also. Now I wire them or bolt them . Off to set up BINGO for the local Lion`s Club.
old.gif

KRAIG - OUCH. Never ran chains on my 129 or 982 with that style fenders. I built the 72's fenders with the idea of 23-8.50 tires AND chains so I've never had a problem like that. Not sure if the 70 will ever get fenders or not but SON seems to think it needs fenders just like the 72's.

DONALD - I think your correct, 1/2" threaded rod, peen over the end of the rod to lock the nut on the end of the rod on the inside of the wheel securely, spin another nut on the outside of the wheel to hold the rod steady, then slide on the plastic weight, then the CI weight, flat washer, lock washer, and the last nut. Think you want four lengths of rod with those plastic weights too. Only using two with two more holding the CI weight to the plastic weight may crack the concrete inside the plastic.

Ohh, and you may want to put flat washers between the nuts & the wheels, save the pretty paint job.

Kraig-
I recognize THOSE fenders!
happy.gif
<font size="-2">I've got a "new" set here to "fix" those...</font>

Wow, nice battery set-up. I didn't realize your cabin was a HYBRID...
roflol.gif

Art, I thought you might recognize those fenders... LOL I never thought of the cabin as a hybrid. We are many miles off grid and have a generator/inverter system. I'll have to get you up there some time.

Back