• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 31, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought a couple of guys, including Matt G., Had redone mower decks in the last couple years and posted their process. However I don't remember where.

Kraig, that is really interesting! I admit the wide front tires look funny in the picture.

Shultzie,
Knobs on the way to me!
thumbsup.gif

OK, now I am getting real picky!
err.gif

The tread on those "wide front tires" Kraig posted are the 4.80-8 style tread. The 16x6.50 tread is a straight tread.
That tire looks like a somewhere inbetween the 4.80 and the 16x6.50!

If you look real close at the 70/100 "P" version brocure that Kraig posted, you will also see that the tread pattern on the rear 100 tires are different.

In both operator's manuals (70/100), the front and rear tires are different also!
The front tires on both tractors look like an everyday 4.80-8 tire that you can buy today, not the "diamond pattern" tire that is on the early tractors.

The rear tires on both are the later style tire, and not like the ones pictured in Kraig's "P" version brocure on the 70.

Also, in the older (64') 70/100 operator's manual, the serial # indicating arrow is pointing to the end of the tranny housing.

In the 65' manual, it is pointing to the small raised square on the tranny housing.
They must have changed the location during the 64'-65' year transition.

It would be interesting to know what serial # the location change took place.
In other words, what was the last serial # to be put on the housing, and what was the first serial # to go on the raised square? Be kinda neat to have one of those #'s!
wink.gif

Kraig...Thanks for pointing me to the needed reference. It's a familiar task but I don't do it often enough to recall the specifics.
happy.gif

With regards to the rear tire discussion on the 70/100. My guess is that at least initially IH didn't intend for the 42 inch decks to be placed on the 7hp tractors. And given that the 38 inch cast end decks don't work with 23x8.5 tires unless you modify the decks, IH only listed the wide tire option for tractors that were matched for the 42 inch decks, which would have been the 100. But people did put 42 inch decks on the 7hp machines, my grandfather bought a model 71 equipped that way new.

Marty,
happy.gif

Brian, I think you are probably correct on the mower deck line of thinking and interference with the wide tires and 38" deck.
greenthumb.gif

Marty,

The IH advertising department was known for their air brush work......it is very possible those wide tires are a product of an artist retouching the photo......they did it A LOT

Steve,

I can believe that. I saw an advertisement somewhere (think Kraig posted it) where the whole tractor was yellow except for the hood!

I appreciate the help with the air cleaner but I already found one. Oreily's could get me a Wix but it would be 22 bucks!
feint.gif
Autozone couldn't even find it. NAPA was closed. (This was Memorial Day.) Went back to Farm and Fleet on Tuesday and Looked at the Fram shelf. Only one labeled lawn and garden and it was just like the one I was returning. ON a hunch looked at the filter in a plain white box ant it was the right size! WooHoo! Number ca6605

Question for the experts. I have a friend that has had a 129 that has ran good for years and he loves it. He asks me to fix every little problem on it. He his 86 years old and had open heart surgery last year and can't get around very well.
Well this week he pulls it out, mows about 10' and it dies. It will start, run a few seconds and dies again. I go over and it ran for a few minutes and dies with the same result. I tap on the side of the carb and it runs for 15 minutes without a problem. OK, so the needle valve was stuck. Tell him what and why I did what I did and he says "Can you fix it?" I said sure can. Take the carb off and get a good look at it. Only 1 adjusting screw. OK, must be a Walbro. Where do I find a needle, seat, and gasket kit for one of these criters or will a kit for a normal Carter carb fit in it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey Gang, quick question. Would this fit under my 169?

"1983 Cub Cadet 44C mower Deck and mule drive". It's on C-list and not to far away. TIA

Mike, That's a "C" deck for an 82 series.
The drive pulleys are too big, You'd have to change out the main mule drive pulleys plus the one on the deck to match the one on your 169 PTO
You need to be looking for an "A" deck.

Mike F. Too bad your so far away, I'm scrapping a Swiss cheese 44a deck and going to go through another. I have 4 altogether right now. But I could help you out with the main double pulley

Back