• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 27, 2019

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George,

If you are referring to the oil that goes in the creeper gear, the manual says to use 1/2 pint of IH Hytran or SAE-30 wt. oil. I prefer the Hytran.
thumbsup.gif

When I install the input shaft bearing housing, I lubricate the O-ring and turn the bearing housing while carefully pressing it in. This helps reduce the possibility of slicing part of the O-ring off.

Keith, here's a link to a youtube video on setting the governor on a Kohler K series that might be helpful. You'll have to skip ahead in the video until around the seven minute mark where he starts talking about the governor.

Keith, the governor works by centrifugal force. As the engine RPMs increase the governor arm pulls back on the throttle. When the engine is not running, the throttle can open fully and you won't observe anything happening. With it running the governor arm would pull back on the throttle shaft in the carburetor and stretch the spring that's in the linkage even more and thus limit the RPMs. The spring and all those different holes for the spring to hook into are for adjusting the sensitivity of the governor. Hopefully that makes a little bit of sense.

Kraig...thanks for additional info. I'd been checking out videos but don't believe I came across this one. So far I adjusted the shaft and arm as far ccw as it can go (as per previous suggestions). So now I'll wait till the tachometer arrives and then see where I'm at. Same with carb settings. I found a bit of a discrepancy regarding the suggested low idle setting between what is mentioned in the Kohler manual and my owner's manual. The former says to turn it out over 2 turns, and the latter says 1 turn. I went with the owner's manual since I came across a sheet where I had written down the exact measurement of how far out both high and low idle screws were set.

I do notice, however, that if the throttle is all the way off the governor arm is already pulled too far to the right to freely move all the way to the left. Is that as it should be? If I push the throttle control up partway, then there is no tension and the governor arm moves freely all the way to the left. As per the video - and what Dave already mentioned here - the carb is all the way open with the arm and shaft as far ccw as it can go.

Only in Australia!
biggrin.gif

Not sure if this chap is showing off his transmission, or if he is far too happy about rolling over his Cub Cadet?

Cub Cadet pioneered the hydrostatic transmission in its lawn tractors, dating back to 1966... so we think maybe its the former.
325702.jpg

What size filister style screw fits the screw holes on a narrow frame tractor light switch?

Keith,

When the engine is running the fly weights on the governor will change the position of the governor arm relative to the throttle linkage......it is a dynamic system that is sometimes hard to understand in "static" mode.

Charlie
err.gif

That's actually an advertising poster IH put out to showcase the gear drive transmission.

Back