• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 26, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlamb

displayname
Charles R. Lamb
Does anyone have a photo of a K241 Kohler that shows where and what "baffles" are attached to the engine

CARB QUESTION Cub 125 getting fuel dripping out of my carb intake-float is a plastic one and seems good, it floats fine in a test dish-does that mean my valve or seat is bad?

Tom Flynn,
Don't be too surprised if those anti-rattle clips are missing after a hour or two of running...they seem to always 'disappear' from the PTOs on my Cubs.

RWilke
coffee.gif
old.gif
popcorn1.gif

Michael and Scott:
Thanks for the comments regarding the lift for the rear tiller. I thought about that but I wanted to check if something else should be changed
Earl

Ryan

My dad (IH mechanic) said the same thing. He told me not to worry too much about the anti rattle clips as they always tend to fly out anyway.

I recently got a PTO rebuild kit for my 129, it seems the new friction disk takes up more space (less slop in the basket) than the old one did. It also included new anti-rattle clips and a new diaphragm spring. Because of the tight setup, it is a
censored.gif
to get the clips in, but once they are in, I suspect that they will tend to stay where they should.

Marty G...thanks for the thoughts on the steering wheel....this time I tried something different...used PB for the last 5 days...have the tractor suspended by the wheel using a come-along..been using the vibration techniques in the FAQ's...not working so far. I remember Matt G. posting that using the hammer while lifting on the wheel damages the bearings in the drive column...so thought I'd try something different. But I am just about ready to whack the #$%#$%^ out of it and be done with it.

When all else fails, do it the tried and proven method. Thanks again for offering to help.....

Since no one talked to Larry yet...I don't know how often needle and seats actually go bad...but could have some wear if really old. More likely choice is a small chunk of rubber from the fuel line is stuck in the seat opening.
Take it apart and clean it out, set the float correctly, and try it again, not that big a project.
thumbsup.gif

EDIT: since you have the float out already(I need a new mind) just blow out the fuel inlet. Oh...did that already? Hows it working now.

Bruce

Yes you are correct. I had a difficult time getting the space and the clips in at the same time together. Once it was in, I doubt they will fly out either.

I'm a little behind on this topic, but with regards to drilling holes in the decks for airflow.... I noticed my 44GT deck has a 3/4" hole behind the rear hangers, presumed to be factory original. With all that the 44GT improves upon the other 44- models, and with Gator Blades and the speed-up pulley, this thing mows like a dream with my 169.
239423.jpg

Wyatt C.,
I don't know why that hole would be in your 44GT mower deck.

But in regards to drilling holes in some of the decks for airflow, the "airflow" holes that I am familiar with are 1" diameter and are drilled into the side of each end and one in the middle-rear of the one-piece mower deck pulley cover. The three holes in the cover allow you to use your air hose to blow out the clippings and crud that otherwise would build up over time inside/under your belt cover.

I use air to blow out the engine cooling fins & screens, mowing deck, brakes, PTO, front grill, after nearly every outing with my Cub. I never use a water hose (just makes rust!) on it - just an air hose to keep it clean.

RWilke
coffee.gif

Ryan- this relates to the under-deck airflow. See Jim D's post from Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 08:36 am.

Ryan i think that hole in the deck is for a deck wash connection for cleaning the deck.

Water & 44/50 inch decks is a bad thing. The main structural part of the deck is a stamped 1/4" thk steel plate sandwiched between the spindle bearing housings along with the deck skin. Get water between the plate and deck skin and watch the rust eat holes in the skin.

I'd like to try Jim D's idea of cutting holes around the spindles and see how much improvement it would make to my 50C.... But maybe next summer.

Some cub cadets had a factory deck wash connection but the ones i have seen is on the left end and not through the steel plate. I think the steel plate is only under the pulley cover.

No, it is not for a wash connection. If it was, it is behind the baffled and would be in one heck of a poor spot. This is in relation to promoting airflow under the deck. And to show not only is it a good idea, but late revisions of the deck from the factory actually had the hole to promote airflow.

Luther,
Maybe so, but if it is, it sure isn't in a very convenient location, as it would be directly under the center of your tractor, correct?

Seems like most wash out connections I've seen on other rigs were located at more accessible deck locations...

RWilke
coffee.gif

Since Wyatt's 44C is a yellow "replacement" deck, the extra hold is probably for a different mounting system for use on another model that MTD was making at the time. Possibly for use on an LT or large walk behind that used the 44" deck.

OR.... It was just a manufacturing hole, punched to make an assembly fixture work better or for a paint hanger (MTD switched to powder coat about the same time this deck was made).

Dennis F.,
What hole size (1/2"?), what location (6" from each spindle?) and how many holes would you put in your 50C deck?

Do you think that such holes would also help out a 42" deck performance?

RWilke
1a_scratchhead.gif
confused.gif

FWIW - I've got a cheap-o MTD 1000 series Cub Cadet. It's purpose in this household is to be a driver for SWMBO and my Boys thereby preventing the front end from being damage by a fence post or any other obsticle...
fan.gif

But it has a round hole where each spindle attaches. The spindle housings are not round. Where the housing attaches to the deck is an X shape. The hole in the deck is larger than the spindle and with the X shape, there is a goodly amount of space between the X's and the hole into which it fits. When I first saw this, I thought bad idea - then noticed no grass/leaf build-up under the spindle pulley cover. I suppose the deck either pulls air in or blows it out from around each of the spindles.

BTW, the other thing that keeps the 1650's hood out of a fence post is the engine is still setting in my basement floor...
bash.gif

Back