• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 22, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbounds

displayname
MBounds
Neil C: The plug hole referred to is in the back plates of the IH made Cast Iron differentials. The CCC and later made Cast Aluminum differentials, like you have, use a different shape rear plate and do not have that plug hole. You have to fill them through that dipstick tube. If you use 1/4 inch plastic tubing to provide a vent, you will find that filling the rearend isn't as bad as you thought.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Nick C:

This is the modification I made to my 784. I drilled and tapped a hole in the rear cover as shown in the attached pic's. I installed a bolt with a flat steel and rubber washer. When I need to fill or service the rear end, I remove this bolt. I can fill from the dip stick tube, with no air locks, bubbles, or spill over mess. This hole provides a breather hole. Once I am done, I reinstall this bolt. The rubber washer keeps things sealed up and I have had no leaks. I only tighten this bolt to put slight pressure on the rubber washer. The rubber washer is available from a number of places to include: a good stocked Hardware store, Auto Parts store, or Ag type of store.
35669.jpg

35670.jpg

To add another alternative to Roland's setup, you could go to the local auo parts store and pick up a std thread oil pan drain plug with the rubber gasket imbedded in the flanged head....

Kraig-
Do you happen to have on file the rear sight glass I installed in the back of my 141?? That's a very good setup.

Wyatt, I probably do. Any idea when you may have posted it?

Wyatt said,
I had a spare transaxle rear cover from a hydro with the "top center" fill. I then added a half coupling (i.e. a pipe coupling cut in half) by way of holesaw & welding from the backside. The port was positioned about 1/2 inch below where the port is normally on a gear drive transaxle. The sight plug was sourced new from an off-topic dealer, it's a 1/2NPT sight plug. It's normal use is in the drive box on a windrower's auger platform. They're not cheap and I probably should have looked more, but this one cost me $23.50. The goal is when the transmission is filled and maintained, to be able to fill the transmission until the fluid level is half in the sight plug, eliminating the spillage of what's left in the funnel and the resulting "dust shadow" of where the oil's spilled. Just shouldn't happen on a new tractor, now it won't.
35676.jpg

35675.jpg

Charlie, that's version 1 where he was waving too fast, here's version 2:

35687.gif

Hi all, Im new to the forum and a new cub owner. Great site, good info i can use.Just picked up a 127 from the original owner,with receits of repairs and manuals. It has a mower deck and snow thrower.Its been repainted and new decals.
35696.jpg
Since the photo Ive replaced the old tire,installed and leveled the deck and fixed the very sloppy stearing. It runs and mows great.Thanks again for all the help this site has given me. Brad

Hi guys just picked up another cub today got a 149 for $225.00 runs great that now makes five p.s.great site by the way

Looks like a great day for zig-zags.
biggrin.gif

Just spent the last 2 hours watching Kraigs DVD's, GREAT STUFF!
Line of tractors clear to the horizon.
35698.jpg

(Message edited by Cproctor on May 22, 2006)

Thanks Kraig!!
I wasn't sure what pictures I posted, and from the old computer i'm using, it doesn't recognize JPEG pictures other than through Internet Explorer. My Adobe Photoshop will edit and resize JPEGs, but unless I save as a TIF, it goes corrupt and nothing will read it.

Anyways, those are the pictures I was thinking of. My 169's getting the same treatment with the exception that I've got a small remote fill out of a stash of new RV parts, it's small enough to be located under the seat and will probably connect to a nipple threaded into the transmission's top access cover.

Back