• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 18, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcmay

displayname
Dan May
I want to let everyone know that I have the sweetest running 14hp Kohler I ever heard run.After changing about every thing that could be changed,as I was reassembling it I thought you haven't changed the stator.I changed the stator and it runs like it should.Thanks to those who gave me advice for the past 2 years as I would work on it a while,get discourged,put it on the back burner awhile,get it out again and again.Recently I bought a 1200 w/blown engine and got it out again.I took it all apart to make sure it was in time .All the bolts and nuts thread real easily.
Dan

MIKE H. - The Travelall was the sedan delivery station wagon type of vehicle. I guess GM was actually the first with the Suburban, back as far as 1937 IIRC... but IH had everybody else beat.

IH's Carry-All was actually a Fast Hitch mounted carrying platform IH started building in 1955 with several models made till production stopped in 1965. It's featured on page 45 of C.H. Wendell's book 150 Years of IHC.

John-
As far as the axle, half yes, and half no. The "set forward" axle that comes with tall spindles is easy to find, but the early version with the low spindles I've had a hard time finding. What you see in the photo was a combination of both. I did a short write-up posted on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:04 am.

Leaking oil from the drain plug on the 147. Is it safe to assume that the o ring around the plug threads is bad? Obviously I've tightened the plug as tight as I'm comfortable tightening it (somewhere between "snug" and "red faced grunt")

Thanks Wyatt,... Reason I asked is so that if I come across any of those axels I'd know they would fit a IH Cub Cadet. I'll check out the May 4 write up !

Dan G, I have yet to see a plug on a Kohler that did not leak even a slight amount. I wrapped Teflon tape around the plug on my "new" K241, and lo and behold, I have the ever slight leak still. Its tight.

That was/has been my experience. I would recommend a new plug all together. I bet Charlie would have one? Perhaps I'm due for two new ones myself
thumbsup_old.gif

yeap the are all going to leak due the fact that the blocks are aluminum and the plugs are steel. each metal expands and shrinks at different rates.

JOHN,JOE,DAN - The 3/8" NPT pipe plug drain plug have never leaked in ANY of my CC's. I even had a K301 w/alum oil pan and it didn't leak.

Now there's plenty of other places for oil to leak out of a Kohler, oil mist and blow-by gases escape out the breather vent behind the carb and end up ALL over the engine. The breather tube modification either with one of Dave Kirk's breather covers or welding up and drilling/tapping a hole for a street elbow and installing a 1/4" hose barb and a foot of fuel hose sure helps reduce the oily mess.

Put the reed valve in wrong on the breather cover and you'll push oil out around the governor arm coming out of the big brass nut up by the exh. port.

Wyatt, I like the perspective of your photo. Reminds me of this:

286646.jpg

No leakage at my drain plugs, now the pan gasket is a different story.

I second Denny's warning about the breather reed going in wrong. I picked up an 86 that ran great, but leaked oil like a sieve. Took off the breather cover and the reed was installed wrong. It built up enough pressure to blow out the rear (PTO side) crank seal as well as around the governor. Never had a non cross threaded plug leak either.

Shultzie,
The 782 looks great. Love the ags. They look mean!

Got a chance to play in a couple of acres of grass for a friend of mine who recently purchased a home. It was nice to finally shake out the 782 for a few hours and see how it performs during a real work out.

Found out a few things during the process. It seems that the clutch has an issue after running for an extended period of time it will not engage for some reason. Just put a new switch in it about a year ago so I'm guessing that maybe the coil is getting weak or possibly the gap is not right.
The other issue is similar in that the tractor will not restart after a long hard run, turns over great but no fire. I replaced the points and condenser so I'm wondering if the coil is getting weak there as well. Maybe this would be a good excuse to upgrade to a point saver system. I'll keep you updated on what I find as it develops.
popcorn1.gif

I've got some mowing pictures to share a little later, my confuser is being picky right now.

Shultzie-- Great looking setup!
greenthumb.gif

Josh S -- Good seeing you here again!

I bought a 782 a few weeks ago,got it running great and mowed with it last Saturday.Ran great and did an excellent job mowing.I stopped to get a drink and when I returned I turned the deck on nothing happened.Started it this morning and deck ran great.Is this a sign the pto switch is getting hot and when cool it is ok?
One other thing:Is the pto switch on a 782 the same as a quiet line?
Dan

I Think there are three places to check the electric pto clutch with a feeler gauge using 10 thou . wfm !

I had to recently tighten up both my elec PTOs. Apparently they wear after 30+ years of service.

Secondly, an 82 series PTO switch and QL are NOT the same. My 782 came with a QL PTO and ignition switch and while the look the same, it gave me all kinds of electrical fits. Put in the right pars from the sponsors above and it works AND charges the battery. Who would have thought the right parts make such a difference! Kidding...

Latest posts

Back