• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 12, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Jerry:
Was there a TSB from Kohler on this? Anybody got a copy? Why were they putting them IN new engines if they were recommending to take them OUT? Inquiring minds need to know........
dunno.gif

Terry, no snow left, just an old photo from my archives.
happy.gif
Nice job on that stump removal.
thumbsup.gif
I see you also got rid of those dandelions while you were at it.
happy.gif

TERRY B. - I was out playing with "Stumps" yesterday too. I got a couple day's work for Your hoe if You want to come over!

JERRY B. - I got the Gernade Gears out of a K301 once without removing the crankshaft but I wouldn't call it "easy". Also didn't know You could still get replacement engines, I thought a couple yrs ago Kohler stopped making K-series short blocks, mini-blocks, & complete engines for replacement. Just most service parts still avail. I know quite a few Magnum parts interchange.

KRAIG - My guess is that's a oil drain for the creeper.

I figured it had to be something with the creeper, as it's in the correct location for the creeper fill plug. I've never seen one with a hole in the tunnel for it. The hole almost looks factory cut...

Thanks for the help. Already have the easy gear out, now trying to remove the upper gear without taking out the crank. Once the snap ring is removed, will the gear slide off the shaft if the crank is turned right? Ran fine before so I didn't want to do a full rebuild just gear removal/replace, now just removal. Love the smell of oil in the morning, LOL.

Brad-
The only way I've found to remove that "upper" balance-gear is with a chisel and hammer. I assume you have the oil pan off the bottom of the engine and you're removing them from there?

If so....rotate the gear so that the open (webbed) side is facing you, then give that part of the gear a good whack with a chisel and hammer. The gear will collapse.

Make sure you get all of the pieces out and you should be good. I have a 169 I need to do this to very soon.

Speaking of which, does anybody know if there is a good way to tell (from the outside) if a Kohler has the balance gears for sure? (I've never been clear on that...)

"does anybody know if there is a good way to tell (from the outside) if a Kohler has the balance gears for sure? (I've never been clear on that...)"
Uh Oh, I'm getting Deja Vu (all over again)... (Hope <u>you</u> get an answer ....)

Inspecting for balance gears without engine disassembly? Not sure if You can see past the cam gear well enough on 12 thru 16 HP Kohlers but I think You can. Next best alteratve for "Tool-aholics" is something like the Flexible Borescopes Eastwood sells. Not cheap, 18" version is $269.99 in My latest catalog. I think Summit has one also for about the same $$$.

Do you have to put the engine on a 3 day liquid diet before using the scope?
biggrin.gif

Art, wait until there's a window in the block...
151587.gif
...and you should be able to see them clearly...

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Do you have to put the engine on a 3 day liquid diet before using the scope?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">I would hope it's already on a liquid diet...although I think some POs don't, judging by the debris I have found in carb float bowls
lol.gif
</font>

KENDELL - I don't think it really matters. Just be careful WHICH end You stick the probe in.
lol.gif

Denny-
Great idea! I have a friend who has one of those. I'll have to borrow it to check that out!

Kendell-
err.gif

I have found some new math. Take one 20 minute job (PTO clutch),Add 5 minutes for every year it sat in the rain and rusted. 2 hours for deciding to repaint it while its off. 2 more hours when you decide you cant put that new PTO on an old dirty engine and decide to powerwash it. 4 more hours for deciding to repiant engine. 20 more minutes for deciding wiring harness needs help while you have it out of the way to paint engine. Then you can add the variables. 2 days for honeydo interuptions. 6 hours for each child in the house under the age of 12. 24 hours for the cat that rubbed itself against the wet paint, 2 hours looking for that allen wrench you swore was right there a minute ago, and there you have it. A twenty minute job that took 4 weeks out of your life.

Charles,
I can sympathize. I'm currently off to the dealer to get new front wheel bearings, a tire, and a valve stem for my 129. It all started when I decided to haul some donkey manure my neighbor had piled up to use as fertilizer in my garden. There was some pretty rough terrain the tractor had to go through to back the trailer to the pile, and I probably picked up a thorn or a nail. The tire is probably original, and had a tube in it already, so I might as well get a new tire and valve stem. When I took the wheel off, the inner wheel bearing fell apart, so that's gotta be replaced as well.

Worst part is, I have a trailer full of donkey doo sitting in front of my garage at the moment.

When I paint my 123, should I paint it with epoxy primer first or just sand the surface, clean it and paint it with Cub Cadet paint? I only want to do this once, you know.

Latest posts

Back