• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 11, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpatterson

displayname
Mike Patterson
So I mowed the lawn tonight with the 982, 2nd time this year - YEAH!
1AA_dance2.gif

So after running it for about an hour and a half with everything working well (except for the odd surging - but that's another issue).... I pulled up to the garage, idled it down and then switched off the mower deck. I then proceeded around the truck to drive into the garage and the transmission slowed down quickly and it was as if someone turned the key off. Then as the tractor stopped rolling the engine back fired - one loud bang like the the neighbour shot the PIA town dog with buck shot.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I looked down and the key was still in the run position, pto switch was disengaged. I pushed the clutch in and the hydro lever returned to neutral position and I tried to crank it over - NOTHING - no buzzing, clicking, NO GO! I scratched my head and pushed it into the garage the rest of the way. Once inside out of the sunshine, I turned the key on again, no head lights, no cranking, nothing.

Any suggestions on where I should start looking?

I changed the pto switch last fall with a new one from MTD. PO has removed all the clutch, seat safety switches from tractor, so they are ruled out as far as I am concerned. The solenoid was replaced last fall as well - ended up finding out it was the pto switch then, so just left the new one installed and put the old one that obviously worked fine on the shelf for a rainy day. New plugs, wires, carb kit, manifold (exhaust and intake) gaskets last fall as well. Cleaned the carb about 2 weeks ago this year to get rid of the yellow scum built up in carb over winter.

MUST be electrical - but I am not good at that stuff on tractors. Give me a house or shed to wire and I am off to the races!

Anyone have suggestions??

MIKE,
Check all wires around where PO disconnected switches. Bet it's in that area.Some switches will be open type, rest closed.I mean just make sure open wires aren't together, and closed are.
Hope I made since!
ROD

Mike: If you have no lights, you have no battery, or at least your tractor isn't seeing any battery voltage/current. I would start tracing the current from the battery --especially check your grounds. Just my two cents worth.

MIKE, I think JEREMIAH made a very good point.
Wasn't trying to steer you in wrong direction.
ROD

I have a Cub Cadet 129 with a front end loader that has a leaking ram. Looking for rebuild kit or replacement information. Possibly a johnson.

Mike: I think RODNEY makes a very good point, the problem may be in the "safety circuits," but you still find the answer the same old way: trace the wires and follow the current.

Steve B start by calling or emailing the sponsors at the top of the page you will be surprised at what they can do for you...
and place a ad in the classifieds

Well guys I brought a couple more home today. I got a cub 169 and a cub 123. They are both pretty decent looking tractors. The bad part is the 169 has a broke rod.

Jeremiah C.,
Parts Lookup shows:
Steering column part no. for 782 IH-401277-R1
Steering column part no. for 1250 IH-548086-R1
Probably difference in length.

Steve,
I am pretty sure one of the sponsors listed above has seal kit available... I was talked about a few months ago, do a search in the vault for "loader" and/or "seal"

BRANDON,
I'M A BROKE ROD MOST OF THE TIME!
rofl.gif

Really, sounds like still nice find.
ROD

Question regarding QL mule drive pulley size...

I noticed when looking the FAQ that there are 2 PTO belt sizes listed for the QL series - depending on "pulley" size. I when I purchased my 1450 I remember the PO (who'd gone out and bought a new PTO belt for me) stating that he'd had to take the first belt he'd bought back and exchange it for one an inch different in size. (I don't recall which way - up or down...) He was an older gentleman who bought cubs at auctions, cleaned and resold them. Looking at the FAQ I now realize what the issue was. So, I need to check the pulley on my mule drive and I'm guessing it is the less frequently found of the 2. Based on his experience with cubs and the fact that he was caught off guard with the need for a different sized belt, I assume that he hadn't run across too many of the size on the mule drive he sold me on the tractor.

So, is there a compelling reason to use one pulley size over the other - such as a change in blade RPM? I've got a "project" 1650 with mule drive as well. I'm guessing I have one pulley of each size and am wondering which mule drive to put back on the 1450 (my mower for this season) if it matters at all.

Thanks,

-Calvin

44",50" W/4.5" PULLEY IH-59971-C1 3/8 X 78"

44", 50" W/5.0" PULLEY IH-117465-C1 3/8 X 79"

Calvin, About ten years ago I learned about this option, here, and did it to a deck. The smaller pulley will make those deck blades turn faster. You can hear the difference.

I was adjusting my clutch and discovered that the Drive Pin and Drive Disc spring are missing. That explains the vibration in the motor; but it is a concern to me. I have dug up some round stock which I can weld in to replace the missing pin, but is this a dangerous situation? My Friction/Pressure Plate (asbestos?) looks pretty ragged out, too. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Would the stock seat on a 66 model 122 be the white padded one with blue piping? I was not sure if the 122's had the formed seat standard and the padded was optional.

How are you all out there restoring the padded seats? I assume I can take a good pan to an upolestry shop and they can duplicate it, blue piping included.
Thanks for any advise.

Paul-
Here is a pic of the correct seat for your 122.

225190.jpg

Yes, you can have an upholstry shop redo the vinyl, but my understanding is that you'll want the shop to reuse the blue-edging as that is no longer available.

Jeremiah, did you get enough seat time??

Just got back in again from a second coat of slip plate. How much do you guys (for those that use it) put on? I'm thinking 2 is enough!

Back