• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 08, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eford

displayname
Earl Ford
Lee I'm wondering if you somehow assembled the clutch on the drive shaft wrong? Pics would definitely be great. I also have a 1200 and it's even at my house! I don't know how good of pictures I could get you but can later on.

Marty, Brian, there appears to be a bracket on the frame below the coil.

314466.jpg

314467.jpg

Attachments

• 314466.jpg
    314466.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 314467.jpg
    314467.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 314466.jpg
    314466.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 314467.jpg
    314467.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 145
Lee-

You apparently have something wrong with the clutch. There are several parts that have to be in the right order. The manual even gives a couple of parts in the wrong order. They are the teaser spring and the spacer (numbers 4 and 20 IIRC).

With everything in the proper order it should adjust properly and easily. I recently did a 1200 for a friend that had an exploded 3 pin clutch plate. Charlie (CC Specialties) offers a "beefed up" 3 pin plate that works great.

Thanks Wayne and Earl! I'll get some pics this evening and maybe you can tell what I have wrong. I only took out one drive pin so I'm pretty sure I put it back the way it came off, although with the solid plate 3 pin clutch plate. Like you said, I have a couple diagrams but they both are different. It would make sense something was wrong before since it was doing the same thing before it shattered. What's frustrating is this was repaired several years ago by someone who was supposed to know what they were doing. Embarrassed to say how much he charged me. That's why I'm doing this myself!!

Wayne,
I'll bet you hit on it. I think it's put together like the diagram at this link http://www.partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/1200-2050056u-2050570u-2050580u-cub-cadet-garden-tractor/clutch/
Because this may be what the "professional" that did this has reversed, is there a diagram that shows the correct order? I want to make sure I put the spacer back facing the correct way. I'll still take some pics so you may be able to confirm for me. I definitely did not disassemble this far back. Thanks again for the help!

Found some of my pics on my phone, but can't upload them to this site because of size. Is there an email address that I could send them to for you to look at?

I just have to share this with everyone, LOL

A guy calls and wants some stuff, which we handled, no problem.

Then he says, I have a question.

What would make my 129 get hot and seize up and kill the motor?
It will run for a while and make a screaming noise and just stop!
So after all the engine stuff was taken out of the equation, I asked when was the last time you changed the rear end fluid and filter.
He says last week.
I asked what fluid and filter, he replies, Napa fluid and filter, which turn out to be close enough to get by IMO.

I went on to ask (Now bear in mind he bought this 129 new) when you changed the fluid, did you find anything in the rear end that might lead to the issues your having.
He said no.
I asked, did you find a bunch of snotty gunk in the rear end after you popped the rear cover off?

He says, I've never taken the rear cover plate off, I've always changed the fluid when I took the old filter off.

I had to inform him that since he had NEVER had the rear cover plate off, he had never changed the hydro fluid.

He was actually dumbfounded with the statement I just made to him.
He also wasn't happy about the fact that he probably fried his pump because he never read the manual that came with the tractor, LOL

He's going to his local CNH dealer and get some Hytran and a filter and actually change the fluid and see if his pump is still good or not.

Wouldn't it be amazing to find that the pump still worked after getting hot enough to seize more than 10 times over the last 2 years!!!!
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 146
Charlie - Manual???? Don't need no steenkin' manuals.
1a_scratchhead.gif

On another note..
Hope I didn't offend the IH gods too much yesterday and this morning.. Accused the 129 of letting me down, (for the first time since I bought it in '84). Quit in the middle of the yard, had to tow it back to the barn with Nance's 7 year old grandson steering - a first for him on the 129. was absolutely dead as far as I could tell (I swear I checked the headlights). Anyways, I wrote it off for the day, overnight figured it was the ground. In the process of pulling a utility chain out from the battery compartment under the seat, it got caught (another first in 30 years) and I'd had to pull the battery to get the chain out (losing the wing nut in the process) I assumed I'd disturbed a touchy ground... I got up this morning and thought I'd try it to see if it healed overnight, uhh no go. Then in a moment of clarity, I turned the heavy duty, industrial strength, chrome switch on the dash that bypasses the PTO safety switch (owner modification) to the left and lo and behold, it started right up. Oh, and the reason it stalled in the yard? out of gas. And tell me why I didn't burn up the points - in the process of being totally PO'd, I left the key on overnight (clue to that was the Hobbs hour meter ticking). Glad this guy didn't show up to fix me ..
animatedihbear.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 151
  • animatedihbear.gif
    animatedihbear.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 152
  • animatedihbear.gif
    animatedihbear.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 150
Gerry,
I talked to a guy a while back that put a trickle charger on his 149 at his cabin and went home for a week for a doctors appointment.
Needless to say, things didn't go well and he ended up not getting back to the cabin for 2 years, and he had left the key on as well.
The happy ending to the story was.
He got well and the 149 fired right up, no burnt points or anything.
Course he had a few more hours on the meter that he had when he left it, LOL

Charlie, Gerry, I always have proper supervision when working on my Cubs. Pippin was making sure I got the Windbreaker removed properly.
happy.gif

314471.jpg

314472.jpg

314473.jpg

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 145
  • 314471.jpg
    314471.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 168
  • 314472.jpg
    314472.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 139
  • 314473.jpg
    314473.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 314473.jpg
    314473.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 314472.jpg
    314472.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 155
  • 314471.jpg
    314471.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 137
No freakin way am I removing or storing snow removal stuff around here!
Last year we went down to 28°, the 15th of may!
And had snow before and after that!

Charlie, I don't blame you! However, I already had to mow once.

Charlie P. Odds aren't in his favor of still having a good hydro in his 129. I need to get to a fella and get his two hardly used 15Us. Sadly he cut up the rest of the two Cub Cadets. I guess the fella bought them cheap enough on an auction that he could make more selling them as scrap.

Kraig M. Pippins sure knows his Cub Cadet stuff. He is giving it a very thorough inspection.

Brian,

You don't know anything about narrow frames?
They are almost just like the wide frames, except a little narrower.
The only difference is, the narrow frames are prettier!
lol.gif

314477.jpg

Kraig,

I see where the pole is attached to the frame, but what about the upper bracing located just behind the air filter?

Attachments

• 314477.jpg
    314477.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 154
  • lol.gif
    lol.gif
    158 bytes · Views: 147
  • 314477.jpg
    314477.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 142
Marty, I believe that is an adjustment point, perhaps for rotation and/or telescoping, not a brace/bracket.
dunno.gif

Marlin, yes Pippin gave it a good look over. He even inspected the discharge chute on the QA42.

314479.jpg

Attachments

• dunno.gif
    dunno.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 314479.jpg
    314479.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 314479.jpg
    314479.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 150
Still can't figure out what is installed incorrectly. The teaser spring is inside the couple and against the plate. What am I missing?
314489.jpg

Attachments

• 314489.jpg
    314489.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 314489.jpg
    314489.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 143
Lee- Is it just the angle or are the bumps on your throwout fork way off the center of the throwout bearing? They should push on the bearing close to center.

Latest posts

Back