• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 30, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank,

Real nice looking to me! Looks like an excellent subject for a restore!
thumbsup.gif

Carson,

Pictures are always welcome! We love to see them.
Why are you wanting to use bushings instead of bearings in the front wheels?
As for parts, you can probably find everything you need from the sponsors at the top of the page. If they do not have them, you can try C.list, or greedbay.
If you look long enough for something that is hard to find, it will eventually show up.
happy.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 114
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 116
Frank

O front wheels use bushings instead of bearings. The axle appears to be about 1/8 inch larger than the later axles with bearings. I am hoping the Extreme Motorworks rims will work. Hope someone has an answer.

Carson

Carson H.
All older Cub wheels have a 1 3/8" hole that the bearings fit in, where the Original wheels are 1 5/16" or there abouts, so you MIGHT be able to get new bearings in old Original wheels with a little persuasion, LOL

BUT, with the spindle being 7/8" and the new bearings being 3/4", well you know.

I'd hate to chuck a steering knuckle in a lathe to turn them down, LOL

Charlie:

Well I guess the Extreme rims are not going to make it. I agree I would not want to try and turn the axles down. Guess will need to do an add in the wanted section and see if someone has some that are in reasonable shape.

Any idea on where to get the brake band replaced. One I have is really soaked in Oil.

This one is an interesting restoration.

Carson

Carson-
Others may disagree, but I would just drizzle some lacquer thinner over that brake band until the thinner runs relatively clean and call it good. Keep in mind these tractors move at a pretty slow rate of speed. Oil soaked brakes on a car or truck certainly won't work, but it's not a huge deal on a garden tractor. Even when working correctly, the brakes on an Original are really just one small step better than dragging your left foot on the ground to slow down.

I agree with Art on the brakes. I will check with my digital volt meter tomorrow and report my findings. I want to say I heard about covering the brake material in sand to absorb the oil. I think it may have been an old timer over at the railway museum on one of the steam locomotive parts. Maybe its worth a shot?

I will try the lacquer thinner and see what happens. The brake material and the drum look to be in good condition just soaked in oil for a while. I cleaned up the drum and it looks good.

Carson I agree with Art on cleaning the brake band. I do use a old tooth brush To help with getting the grease off faster. The brakes will hold fine after you clean the band.

A lot of the guys on the Farmall Cub forum burn the oil soaked brake bands with a propane torch to clean them. I think they use the same bands as an O.
303165.jpg

Attachments

• 303165.jpg
    303165.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 303165.jpg
    303165.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 124
Good morning, All. I know this has been asked before but here goes. Can I just switch the pulleys from an Original starter/generator onto a starter/generator from a 102 and still have the same performance? TIA for all the assistance.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 120
Back