• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 25, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty-

I know what you're saying about the zero turns and I've had my eye out for a used Scagg for a couple of years now. I wouldn't buy a cheap version of a zero turn. In the meantime I just consider myself "old school" and enjoy my cubs. Heck, I even use a Gravely L at times and just putt-putt around.

My main mower right now is the old 124/42". My hydros are in need of some maintenance/engine swaps.

Speaking of the 124, this is the tractor that died while mowing the other day. I went back the next day with a battery pac and it fired right up. It needed nothing and why it died is beyond me. It quit again Friday evening after it started spitting and sputtering. I pulled the plug, cleaned it, and away it went. It's a moderate smoker and probably needs de-carboned but I run high test with MMO and it keeps going and going just like the energizer bunny.

Brian-

I've owned quite a few Briggs engines, and they are not bad. They kind of remind me of the old GM Iron Duke- they make "okay" power, but they run forever. Of course, with the 108 being my first Kohler engine, I have quickly become attached to them. For instance, on the smaller Briggs (say 5 horse), you have to pull the flywheel to get to the points and condenser. Not that way with a Kohler. I haven't owned any of the bigger Briggs like what is in the 82 series, but based on my experiences with the smaller engines, I would assume the bigger ones would be about as reliable.

But, I think you would be pleased with a Briggs. What also makes them nice, and this is true about Kohlers, is parts are easily obtainable.

Also, Happy Easter to everyone!

303061.jpg

Attachments

• 303061.jpg
    303061.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 303061.jpg
    303061.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 104
Hydro Harry- Yes, I could agree with you about the hydro drive "ruling" ! Though, most of us refuse to give up our all-gear drive IH Cub Cadets, lol!

As I have a few IH Cub Cadets in my line up, these garden tractors help me with jobs, as well as the enjoyment of driving for pleasure and tinkering. Furthermore, I asure that the job as task is not over-whelming or taxing on my tractor. So, with that in mind, the age of these units are a complement to the well-built, well made past they are acknowledged for, especially when we look at today's products!

Lets not forget, since 1961, the IH Cub Cadet was being made. The transmission coming from the IH C-60 four cylinder engine from the ever Great Farmall Cub! Just as I told my good friend yesterday, who loves his JD 420, our engines in out IH Cub Cadets would just about never blow-up, or damage the Cub transmission!!

IH Cub Cadet made an impressive, garden tractor!

Wayne,
There is nothing like those wonderful cubs!
I LOVE plowing with my 128, but I wouldn't give two cents for using it to mow with. Why? It would take forever,my arms would be ready to fall off, and I would be exhausted.

I bought my SCAG in 05' and have been kicking myself ever since for not buying one sooner. You know, with it mowing so much faster, I can spend more time with the cubs!
thumbsup.gif

The O's, 70's, and 100's will just be for fun and shows. Although I could use them, I would like to keep them nice (once I get the rest of them fixed up). IH till I die!
ihrotate.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 98
  • ihrotate.gif
    ihrotate.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 102
Something I made when I was bored 20 inches wide by 15 tall. It post to be a 782D but it could be any of the 82 series I suppose.
303092.jpg

Attachments

• 303092.jpg
    303092.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 103
  • 303092.jpg
    303092.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 109
Austin - I like it. It would look good above the door to a Cub shed. Unfortunately, my 782 sits in one stall of my double attached garage, and Mama would never allow replacing her Barn Star with this type of art!

By the way, I'm in Norfolk from Minnesota this weekend, and I'm curious: Do you pronounce it Norfork, like my kids have picked up after living here several years? (North Fork of the Elkhorn River, right?)

Greg - I usaully just say Nor Folk, I would think it was because of the river, but it was supose to be North Fork, but someone thought oh they wanted to be like Norfolk VA so they just messed it up.

In Virginia its pronounced Noh-folk the R is silent and add that southern eastern draw an ya got it...lol

I grew up on a 108 and used a neighbor's 1000. Both were used for mowing and pulled sweepers. I didn't know a rear lift was an option until a few years ago.

I left the midwest and moved to California and hadn't been on a CC for about 10 years. Three years ago when I had the 1000 that the neighbor ended up giving me shipped west. I got it running and it was like riding a bike. It was as natural as anything to drive. In fact last Thursday it was dry enough to mow the grass after all the El Nino rain we had this winter and I got to use my 1000. BTW I put a clutch in the 1000 this winter. It had the factory clutch in it from 1977. That 1000 mowed 2 acres of suburban lawn for over 20 years on the original clutch. The throw out bearing locked up and trashed the lever and put steps in the shaft. I could have reused the original disc but I replaced everything. It should be good for another 38+ years. If the T/O bearing hadn't locked up it would still have the original clutch in it.

I picked up a 1450 package deal that came with a #2 tiller and a Brinley box scraper. I rebuilt the tractor - it was a basket case. I used it to till my wife's garden last Thursday. We were impressed with how it performed. That garden is perfect. She took back all the static I got for spending money on my tractors this winter.

No matter how much I use that 1450 I still am not used to the hydro drive. I guess gear drive is in my blood. I do like both tractors.

Billy - you may want to look for a package deal that comes with a tiller. I picked up my 1450, wheel weights, rear lift, #2 tiller and scraper for less than I see tiller go for in the midwest If you found a deal like that you could keep the parts you need and sell what you don't need. Chances are you'll pay less than piecing it together and you may wind up with a second tractor you really like.

Bob E, Sounds like a truthful testimony about your Quiet Line 1000, and not far from the whole truth about the all-gear IH Cub Cadets in general. MY 102 clutch was seriously defeated due to the last owner neglect. My 100 functioned fine on the original, the wonderful 71 I had operated fantastic, and after 20+ years of inside storage, my 72 clutch was totally replaced and rebuilt just because. The only other wipe-out clutch I have is on my 86, which came to me that way.

I lucked out and literally drove a nice 1450 out of the scrap yard a while back. I have since stripped, and stored every part, component, and body piece in my dry basement. Also spared a decent 1250 from that same location, all stored for parts! A nice point about the IH Cub Cadet Quiet Line was read. From this model on, all the IH/ Cub Cadets would now have the engine enclosed, as to set a standard of sorts!

There is alot of satisfaction driving a nice 60's something IH Cub Cadet all-gear, with rear fenders, around about while getting smiles and looks from folks! But the hydro models are the dream to operate, as for snow blowing and tilling, the hyd lift is great, as mentioned below!

Back