• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 25, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bryan-

That's 'swappin' paint' in the REAL way...

I was teaching a class out at the Port Jefferson terminal of LIRR when a tractor trailer low-belly got high-centered on a crossing... it had a Komatsu D420 articulating loader on it...
At the time, LIRR ran converted E-series 'power units' (an old locomotive with prime-mover removed, replaced with a big Cummins running a 480/3ph generator to light the cars, but cab still in use as a cab-car) opposite a GP38... well, the train was going about 20mph, with brakes on when it hit... the E-end bumped into the low-belly, effectively discharging it from the train-envelope. The loader swapped-paint, and a corner of the bucket punched a divot in the E's streamliner-nose just to one side of the double-center lamps. It mowed down the crossing signal, and a dozen power-poles Apparently, once they righted the loader, they fired it right up and drove it away. The low-belly was kinda twisted, and the tractor's 5th-wheel hitch was a little twisted, but nobody hurt, and the roadbed wasn't damaged. I think they retired the E about 2-3 months later, as the new EMD AC loco and C3 double-decker carset for that run was ready for full revenue service.

Wish I had a good picture of that divot. I think I've got a picture of old-fleet at the Richmond Hill facility (where I taught most of the LIRR classes).

Hi Jim,
Yeah- I AM on the correct side in the photo.... crank turns counterclockwise. Note that belt tension on the tooth-belt drive is substantially lower than a V-section or serpentine-flat belt... with full load (meaning all 12 engine HP working the pump), the total tension on the belt (preload plus engine power) will be something like 143lbs... not enough to adversely deflect the 1/4" plate bracket or put excess load on the pump. the idler-tensioner will really just increase the sheaves' wrap (and increase quantity of contacted teeth) and also retain the belt... shouldn't take much preload to hold it there.

Hey Nate!
The pump is a Sundstrand that I got from Surplus Center... rated 3gpm out of the PRIMARY port, (at 750-1400rpm) which I'll send to the hydraulic steering valve. The Auxiliary port is rated 6gpm at 1400rpm. The pump's max input speed is 1800rpm. With the engine governed at 3800, I'm running the pump and engine at full-bore at the same time.

Kevin, I see you got your plow on too. Are you getting somewhat aroused yet? Tyke wants to bring a gear drive to Plow Day. There is hope for that guy.

Travis-Yah mon,24 valve. I here you about the "quad cab". It's a whole lot more than the Nissan had though,I'll take comfort in that fact. 5 speed too,I get to really be a trucker.
wink.gif
I don't think they put in the 6 speeds until 01 or 02.

Glen-That was an oxymoron. You said there's hope for Tyke and he's bringing a gear drive!
happy.gif
I sure hope he makes it,I haven't given him any crap lately.

Hey guys,
I've been approached about a Montgomery Ward loader that is mounted on a 126. WHat do you experts know about them. I didn't know that Mont. Ward made such a thing. Might it have been manufactured by Johnson, or some other company for Mont. Ward? I'm interested in any comments. Thanks as always!

The guy in the brown truck brought this buy for me today. It's a repo, but real nice. Will look nice on the "Cub" shed.
17196.jpg

Ray -

That's cuz they can't keep the lines up long enough for them to hit one another
lol.gif

You know you're a city-boy when.....

You can talk smack about each other's commuter line!
roflol.gif

Dunham-
Ya did good!

Hi Nate! Actually, I was figuring on using a pair of long-stroke 1.5's with my reliefs set around 1700psi yielding an E-force of about 3000lbs per ram... with a pair of 26" stroke cylinders, that'll take about 4 seconds to go full extension, and my retraction force (double-acting) will be around 1700lbs. Obviously it'll be much-more-than-required... :-}

Bart- Most everything sold under Montgomery-Wards was made by other common manufacturers and recieved the Montgomery-Wards applique and part numbers. I don't know for sure, but would expect it to either be a Johnson or Kwick-Way (sp?), as they seem to be most common.

Art,

Now that's funny...

Spent the evening working on a 44" deck skin...169 needs a good deck. It's all blasted and all of the "standard" cracks, dings, and dents have been fixed. Tomorrow the front gauge wheel brackets go on after I make a trip over to the local blacksmith (yup, Roanoke still has one) to get some 2-1/2" wide steel for the rear deck hanger reinforcement. Sometimes you catch Tom pounding out batwing blades on the trip hammer after he heats them in the forge, then they get a long soak in a tub full of oily sand.......really cool to hang out at their shop....all overhead line-shafting, still in use.

I was good to be out in the garage for a while after feeling like crap all week.....there are some wicked cold bugs floating around out there!!!!

I found 'em! Direct from the crypt of old jobs.... taken from the outdoor service-pits at Richmond Hill, Long Island. Most of this is old-fleet, but you'll see one'a the new C3 cab cars
17199.jpg

Look closely at 615's starboard numberplate, just to the left of the ditch-light... bit by a loader!

622 is actually an FL-9... like an E9, but with a triple-axle f-end truck, and set up with 3rd-rail shoes. NYC Proper doesn't allow diesel engine use within the boroughs... especially not the tunnels. To sell a few more machines to the PRR, they converted the E9 to dual-mode DC operation, so PRR could run diesel on the mainlines, and shut the smoker down and run into NYC on 3rd rail. There were something like 15 of these made, and when I was there, only 6 still existed, and only 2 were in operation... one at LIRR, and one at NJT... the rest were sitting around losing parts. LIRR originally bought 3 that ABB'd converted to an early, and problematic AC propulsion.
17200.jpg

Most of these streamliners still have the old 'steam-generator' units (for heat) in the bulbous-nose. Of course, they're no longer operational, and the nose-doors are all dented-to-heck, so on a cold winter's day, it's downright chilly in that cab...

17201.jpg

Don'cha just love the skeezy sliding-window? These ends aren't prime-movers, they've been stripped-out to serve as 'cab cars', with big Cummins and Cat gensets to provide AC power for the (old Pullman) coaches. They run an operator at both ends, even though only one guy (in the leading cab) is operating. The original 'streamliner' windows didn't provide a back-view, and the operators didn't think much'a climbin' out of the operator's seat and sticking head out the door to press a track-request button, so they installed sliding-plexiglass bathroom windows in the cab sides.

17202.jpg

Yes, they use an SW1200 in revenue service. It's kinda like drafting someone based on presence of a pulse... Don't let the pretty paint-job fool you... it RAINS oil. There's a reason why nobody parks in the company lot... :-} The motor on the right is a GP38.

Dave K> Yup,my bad!! Musta been a long week;-)

Your project looks well planned out and I like what you are doing!! That front adapter plate seems like the real deal!!

Kevin,you swapped the Nissan?? Oh well,I guess you will just have to make do with the 24 Valve Cummins now...life is good!!

Jim D-Yeah,I'll try to cope...
wink.gif

Has anyone noticed our conversations here have been getting a tad,uh...,"derailled"?
lol.gif

Hi Jim! Yeah, it's pretty real... the edges are pretty rough from using the gas-hatchet to cut 'em, and I originally located the pump just to get it as comfortably-close to the engine as possible. It ain't pretty, and it took way-too-LONG time to cut and grind out that pump-mount hole, but then again, it isn't the 'final' result.

Now that I've got the drive, I'll probably re-drill the engine-side holes (notice I've left quite a bit of space to move the plate around on the engine, as well as a big-enough hole to slip it over the engine srive sheave...I'll use that gap to take up some of that slack, as well as mount a spring-loaded tensioner. Once I've got the final distance set to my liking, I'll put the final position into my CAD drawing, and send the drawing (as a DXF) to a local shop and have 'em pretty-cut me one with their laser... but not 'till I've had a chance to run it a bit and see if the plate's stiff enough- if I need to go a bit thicker, or add a brace along the lower (tensioned) side of the belt, I'll include that, too. These toothed belts really are stout... I'm trying to find other uses for 'em...

Looks like I'll be picking up this 2-cyl Volvo diesel either immediately before, or just after WFM... and I think it'll end up going in a 149 frame and become a husky-brute plower/puller. Anybody on the forum stretched a wide-frame right in the middle of the engine-bay portion? I gotta make room for a radiator and fan... power-steering, dual rear 26's, and mebbie a front-drive axle...

Did some one say derailed??
17206.jpg

Man this is cool seeing trians on the Cub board!! Two of my favorite things in one spot....
happy.gif

Hello everyone. It's been an extremely long time since I posted here. My new all-consuming hobby is motorcycles, so my '73 128 has simply been workin' hard to maximize the seat time on my "other" machine.

What I wanted to ask is this:

I own a 128 with the 44" deck. The belt from the PTO to the deck broke at the end of the last season. I need the replacement P/N, but I would also like to know some cross-reference #s for non-OEM alternatives. I searched the forum first, but couldn't locate what I was looking for. TIA

Greg in Cincy

Kevin,

I always heard that most of the people who drive diesel pickups are trying to make up for low testosterone. Somehow I didn’t think you had that problem.

Jim

Latest posts

Back