• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve-
Don't feel bad, I learned my lesson about putting AG tires on at 2am while dead tired....TWICE!
happy.gif

Tom H. -

I kinda thought that would wake ya up
wink.gif

Ryan,

Yes, but lets see it do what this little rocket can

17141.jpg

Racing and diesels, who would have thought!

Sorry this is getting so off topic...

Matt

Art-
I think he lives in Durand, which isn't real close, but I'm pretty sure that he still owns a bar there. Sort of a wild fella, pulled a 4-bottom plow with his Cummins Ram dually a year or so ago . . . before he flipped it end over end a couple months ago.

Richard C-
That's the Fairbanks-reMoorse I was talking about! Though it is laying on it's side. I wish I could remember what it was called, there's an engine show in central WI (think the town's name starts with an "S") every year that has five of each types made, a single cylinder up through a 5 cylinder. They're usually mounted so that the flywheel sits in a depression in the floor and most times the exhaust gets put into a central muffler in the ground and then sent up a chimney.

Truthfully you're in a good area to find those, MANY were used as continuous duty heavy-oil engines for water pumps. Rockford, IA has one (three cylinder?) in their utility building, haven't got a chance to see it run yet.

Got a big surprise when I pressure washed the frame on my 1450 that I am rebuilding. @, count them, 2 big cracks right behing the front axle mount. Seem to remember someone else having that same luck recently.

Checked my other W/F's and all the rest are ok. Guess I was too rough on it.

I am assuming that the frames are not a high grade of steel so I will not untemper if I weld on it.

Man is Foxtrot loooong. I will have to get a picture tomorrow to show you all. It fills my whole bay in the garage!!!.
17144.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the shop....

Paint stripping-
In addition to the lye solution I found a GREAT paint stripper, though expensive, it works on powdercoat! I used a leftover can of Loctite Chisel Gasket Remover. Once it's dried off, taking the paint off is easier than peeling a banana.

Kraig- Ain't been up to much, allot of working, been away from home off and on for the last year so I haven't had much Cub time. I was home for X-mas and actually got a couple inches of snow Mid february, but it melted off before I could get the blade on the Cub and get it fired up. It's been getting time to do some mowing and I had to make a trip to the cub dealer for some tune up parts so it git me in the lurking mood. Saw a low-boy on the way back home and yellow fever started kickin' in
happy.gif

Hello all, just built a stainless steel stack for the 169 last night. I was going to post a pic but had trouble. Will have it in prophetstown

Can a gasket eliminator/sealer be used in place of the troublesome cork gasket on a hydro? It seems to completely crush and destroy my gasket when installing causing a leak.
Thanks.

Hey, All-- A week or so ago there was talk about a tractor show that several went to... A couple of people mentioned talking with a gentleman named Harold Schramm (spelling?), that helped in designing the Original. Does anyone know if he frequents any forums or at a bare minimum, know how to get in touch w/ him (<font size="-2">which I know would violate several written &/or unwritten rules of decorum</font>)?

Also, Does anyone out here have in their possession, or access to anything related to IH material specifications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

DanC

Terry A., you could try Richard C's trick. Please note that Richard was replacing a gasket on a newer Cub Cadet that did not require the three holes for the return on the Hy-Tran to the rear end.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Richard Christensen, Arizona is Hot but its a Dry Heat (Rchristensen) on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:37 pm:

I know we have discussed the cork gasket on the hydro's here many times but I still don't like them so today I bought some 1/16 inch Neopreme gasket material and made a gasket using a new cork gasket for a pattern. You need to cut the inside the same diameter as the cork one but you can make the outside approximtely 1/8 inch larger. This gives you more surface area and you don't have the weak spots where the three unused holes are in the cork gasket.

(See first photo below)

Neopreme gasket laying on the case.

(See next photo below)

Neopreme gasket on the hydro.

(See last photo below)

The 1/16 inch thickness seems to be the right size when you tighten it down. Feels solid but not like you are squashing the rubber too much. If it holds when I put it all back together I will let you know and give a report every 10 years.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

17149.jpg

17150.jpg

17151.jpg

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 25, 2004)

Let me take a minute to paraphrase a quote from our beloved Robb Kruger that appeared in this month's Toy Farmer magazine.

I got a kick out of this because it is about as true of a statement as I've ever heard...and funny.

When asked about IH vs. JD.......

"IH guys tend to be tinkerers............When a JD guy who is pulling a 4 bottom plow decides he wants to pull a 6 bottom plow he goes out and buys a new JD tractor to pull it.......When an IH guy wants to go from a 4 bottom to a 6 bottom he takes his tractor over to the mechanic and has it turned up."

He goes on to make a few comments about JD egronomic designs and extra "std. features" but the meat of the question is above.

Looks like I'll have to spend another $600 putting duals on this thing ;-)
17153.jpg

Travis, I'd consider kicking in $10 to get the ball, er, tires rolling!!! That looks great, more photos please. :eek:)

Travis,

I love that front view. The duals are a must. How many horsepower will this beast have? BEAUTIFUL!!

Latest posts

Back