• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkamp

displayname
Dave Kamp
Did it eat my last post, or am I
poof.gif
? :p
guitarist.gif

(Message edited by dkamp on March 23, 2004)

Dave Kamp -

You obviously forgot which site you're posting to
wink.gif

Homey don't play dat here...

Where the heck is Prophetstown, IL Seems I've been there for FPS in the past. What is a big town nearby, or is Prophetstown big?

Ok, I checked out Mapquest...
Guess it's do-able if the weather is right! May see some of you there!

(Message edited by jlang on March 23, 2004)

Matt-
Oil use like that isn't totally out of line. As I've said with all engines, WORRY when it DOESN'T use oil, rebuild when it smokes. Oil will reach the combustion chamber sooner or later through the valve guides and through the piston rings, if it's not reaching the chamber, something's running dry
happy.gif

FWIW when I switched from straight 30wt in my 169 to Mobil1 10W-30 I used quite a bit less. I'm tempted to use Shell Rotella 10W-30 since I've had good luck with it in my pickup which has come to be notorious for using oil but not smoking.

I've worked with engines that use 15 gallons a day, it could be worse!

Guys, I would love to make Plow Day 7. Our Anniversary is April 14th and my better half wanted to do something on the 17th. It's our 20th anniverary. I suggested Plow Day last night and she gave me that look. Not just any look but...THAT LOOK! I left promptly because gentlemen, I was skeered.

Kinda like the Pro Stock Tractor. Fear This Dear

Boy, if I didn't like it here so much, I would leave...
happy.gif

Anyway, no sense wasting space. <font size="-2">7th...I am a dope!</font>

Rock on Bryan.
buttrock.gif

How do you like your new ADSL?

I've heard rumour that the "Reverend" may be making his appearance at "Prophetstown". Could the "keeper of the scrolls" be there too?

Thinking out loud.....
I can smell the breakfast buffet at the Rochelle Petro (Bryan's buying btw) for this road trip already!......and Dunham will have his own table too!

Glen E.....Bring your S.O. (Significant Other) to the plow-in at Prophetstown. We could get the slush boxers to do the hydro serinade(sp?) for you. What could be more romantic than THAT???

(Message edited by kupdike on March 23, 2004)

Dave,

I guess that's about the rate that my 169 uses oil, the 169 might use a bit more, but not much. I'm going to do a spring tune up and I'll clean up the breather while I'm at it. Thanks for the explanation on how the Kohler pulls oil, makes sense, I'm used to the pump doing the work.

Wyatt,

I've thought about going synthetic but I decide against it after talking about it a while ago on the farmall ytmag forum. Pretty much it was decide that it wasn't worth it at the time since most people should change their oil after sitting through winter to flush out all the water etc and the big advantage to the synthetics is long life/not breaking down. I'll have to think about it again, might be worth a try!

Thanks guys for answering my question.

Matt

Hi--
Looking at a 50" deck for my 1650 on ebay. Presently, I have a 44" deck. What changes do I need to do to convert to the bigger deck? And is a 50" deck mow better or worse than a 44" deck?
Thanks guys,
S.A.C.

Seth-
I think most guys on this forum will agree that the 44" and 50" decks are each great mowing decks when they are set up properly and are working correctly. Follow the tips in the FAQ above to get either deck set up, and you'll love them both.

That said, the 50" deck will have more of a tendancy to scalp on hilly terrain if it doesn't have gauge wheels on it.

Make sure it has the correct pulley (width) for your tractor, and it will fit your 1650 just fine using your existing subframe and belt.

Hey Matt- Suprised you saw my response- I posted it, and when I looked, it was all gone... perplexed me, till I figured out what happened, but that's normal.

Hey Wyatt... no fair in noting the 15-gallon oil loss without indicating the CAPACITY... if memory serves me right, the LIRR's GP38 fleet's oil cap'y is around 320 gallons... that's 15/320=~5% of total capacity... equivalent usage for a K341 would be what... 0.075 quarts... or a quarter-of-a-quart for a typical automotive V8...

So 15 gallons ain't bad when put into perspective. Also note that a K341 will almost fit down the bore of an average loco-lung.

Hey- there's a neat project- let's hand-fab a one-cylinder engine using a locomotive piston and rod... (after all, the block is fabricated steel ) and stick it in a Cub!

Seth,

I actually prefer the 44"....more rigid and easier to keep true/straight, but Art is correct, both will serve you well.

I personally would not spend a lot of extra $$$ for a 50" if your 44" is in good shape......the extra width doesn't mean THAT much, especially considering most of us overlap some anyway.

Have you considered using the $$$$ for the 50" on fixing your 44" up into tip-top shape????? I'm in the process of rebuilding a 44" right now (this will make my 2nd 44") and fully expect another 30 years of service from it when I'm finished.

Kraig, I forgot the 1x4/1x5 have the same grille frame on 'em. Guess I'll take the "zig zags" over the "zigs".

Dave-
Big Waukesha ATGL engine, I think it was somewhere around 380 gallon, took a while for me to fill one and drain at least.

As for the BIG single cylinder, the closest thing I can think of DOES exist, fella that owns a bar not too far from Art's place used to be a Waukesha Engine electrical engineer. He came to be the owner of the LAST of three existing single cylinder engines, I want to say it was somewhere around 400 cu in, starts by hand, natually aspirated. Sort of like a '50s era Fairbanks-reMoorse big single cylinder diesel, just with a much smaller flywheel. I think it ran on a variety of fuels. Probably will be at a tractor show or two this summer in that area.

Hey, Guys-- Wonder if someone might shed a light...
This morning I went to the shop while my truck was warming up, & noticed that the lift handle on my Orig didn't match what was in the parts manual.

It looks very much like it was on there when it rolled off the line, but instead of being contoured (as shown on pg28 of TC-113), it is a completely straight sleeve, w/ vertical ribs around the outside of the part.

Did this minor item change somewhere in the production line?

Thanks,

DanC

Latest posts

Back