• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Fesenmyer,

It's a popular place for Quiet Line frames to crack. In my opinion, it's the weakest part of the whole frame assembly. Even without failed mounts, cracks and breaks occur at this point. A good re-weld of the cross member into the frame rails usually results in a permanent fix.

(Message edited by dkirk on March 23, 2004)

Tom F., as long as you are changing motor mounts you should upgrade the cradle by welding a brace between the two side brackets.
17119.jpg

17120.jpg

Kraig-
Those are some great images from that brochure! I wonder what that 3-point bracket is set up for?

Art:
I love it when you get stern!
Are you boys from behind the cheddar curtain going to make a run down to the Plow Day in Prophetstown?
Keith

Kraig-
"Matt, how about a Cadet demolition derby? :eek:)"
You should be ashamed of yourself
happy.gif

Keith-
Thanks, but I won't be able to make it. I guess I "put too many eggs in one basket" on making sure that I have the weekend free for the WFM event the following weekend. Kinda had to push things to either side to make that one free...

Already planning on a fall event though...<font size="-2">right Steve?</font>

If by "slant grilles" you mean the 1x6-1x7 series, hey, those are my all-time favorite Cubs, in terms of styling. Guess one man's trash is another's treasure...

Hello, can anyone show a detail of the front 70 axle, I need the part number of the pivot pin. Thanks for the help.

Matt M., please note that I wrote "Cadet" not "Cub Cadet" :eek:) BTW, what you been up to?

Kenny M., the "Slant Grills" are the 1x4/5 and the 1x6/7 series. Though some try to slip the 1x2/3 series in. FWIW, Tom H. refers to the 1x4/5, 1x6/7 series as "Zig Zags" and the 1x2/3 as "Zigs".

David D, a couple of us sponsors up above on this page have the pin with a pic, price, and all.

Charlie and I had wondered how many people might be stuck going to PD7 or the WFM PD since they are back to back weekends.

Luckily for the both of us we are going to be able to attend both events.

Nick and I will be attending BOTH Prophetstown, Ill and WFM Spring-Valley plow-days... Mom is more than HAPPY to have both me and the 2-yr-old out of the house for two consecutive weekends!

Howdy folks,

I just did a quick search of the archives and didn't hit any thing so I though I would throw this one out to the group. What's the rate of oil consumption for the K series Kohler Cubs? My 169 seems to like the taste more then I would suspect to be normal (I have to add oil ever other mowing). I'm sure the rings are ready to be replaced, but I don't see it smoke except a bit when idling, so I'm not to worried and just keep an eye on the dip stick.

Matt

Hey Art- why you say I'm brave? Nick's mom is more'n happy for me to have him out of the house. Prophetstown's only about a 40 minute drive from here, so we'll only be gone on Saturday, but she'll take that. As for WFM, well, that'll take a bit longer, but I've got relatives in Ossian, Ia... which is about an hour, mebbie hourn'ahalf from WFM, so that won't be that big'a deal. Ann's got grad-school classes WFM weekend, she was kinda hopin' that it'd be the previous weekend, 'cause she doesn't have class, and would appreciate having the whole place to herself, and brain-time to study as well as relax in quiet.

as for Nick, well, he just LOVES tractors. I just-might-hafta detatch the blade, adn bring my 109 along just so's he won't be stuck walkin' and galkin', but not ridin'. I've got the upper lift arm on, but none of the lower bracketry yet, and no plow, so I won't be fit to plow, but no matter, as I can't leave Nick alone by himself... but at least we can cruise the grounds and watch the action...

Hey Matt- as for oil consumption, my 109 sips down a bit... I'd say mebbie 1/8th of a quart for every two tankfulls. It was really smoky when I got it, so I cleaned the breather out when I got it, and changed from the multi-vis that was in it to straight 30, and that cleared up a whole lotta it. Note that the Kohler's crankcase is set up to run under slight vacuum, so it WILL draw oil-vapor in and burn it. Furthermore, most piston rings are set up so that their seal is enhanced by combustion pressure... so if you're running it 'easy', it'll probably consume more oil. If you're familiar with big locomotive diesel engines (Especially EMDs), you'll note that they consume a pretty large amount of oil at idle, but that drops to almost nil when there's a load-on. That's a tough one that I'm always explaining to my students... they don't understand why the layover-idle rpm (~400) is higher than dead-idle (~220rpm) in a passenger-loco. The latter is only used when disengaging hotel power (aka "HEP" for Head End Power) [that feeds auxiliaries, car lighting, battery chargers, climate control, etc] for various misc functions.

Anyway, if your K-motor starts using lots of oil, then enter it in Plow Day as competition against Travis's Diesel. :-}

Back