• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herbert G. -

Ever wonder why we bother having all these ads at the top of this page from people that SELL used parts and implements? Or why we have a classifieds section where one might find some implements for sale??
wink.gif

Kinda weirded out now, somehow my 169 is now missing the key. . . . . parked outside the garage, 20' from the back door. Evidently someone tried starting it, and don't know how to start a Kohler, it was flooded. Should probably file a police report.

Probably was just some local kids out playing, but after selling off all my tractors and only keeping the 169 it REALLY pisses me off.

Herbert G. -

Grader blades mount in the middle. Front blades (which you said in your first post) mount in, well, the front. Which is it?

Plenty of front blades to be had out there, and yes, all our sponsors have them and I'm sure there's one or two in the for sale section.

paul, the recoil start works fine. the tractor is all original, wire harness is all org. too. about the only thing the p.o. did was paint it the color of the truck in binders ad. tom.b

I have my dad’s old Cub Cadet 70 with the 42-inch mowing deck, having inherited the thing in 1988 on my dad’s death. He used it for 20-25 years mowing his 1.5 acre lot (minus the house area of 1100 sq.ft.) in Cobb County, GA. I brought it to Florida in 1988, and used it some to mow my 1-acre lot. However, it developed engine trouble that I tried to fix by replacing the head gasket in 1991. This failed because the exhaust leak was out the front of the engine, and before I detected the problem, both the head and the block had been eaten out locally a few thousandths, thereby preventing a good seal with the new head gasket. So, it has been sitting in my tool shed for about 13 years or so. The only other known problem is that in the ensuing time, the tires leaked flat and are probably rotten.

Now the question I have for the Cub Cadet community, is it worth repairing? In 1991, a new engine would have cost something like $800, so now it would be even more. Can the block and head be repaired by welding, grinding, etc?

Now as to the tractor serial number, I am baffled. I looked on the right side of the reduction drive housing. I found one stamped letter and an 8-character raised number:

D 385058R1

These numbers are upside-down relative to the ground, making it more difficult to read. This does not match the information for a 1960’s Cub Cadet that I found on this website. My dad’s operator’s manual is dated 1964. I suppose that somewhere down the line, Dad had to replace the unit; although since he was a first class auto mechanic, I would think that he would have simply replaced only the internal parts that were worn. But maybe the complete unit was the only way the parts were sold. Can anyone provide an explanation?

Robert Wittmeyer
Orlando, FL

Well, I'm back after a weekend of "Fun" with the Church youth group. To think, they think I'm a responsable adult.
roflol.gif

17050.jpg

We were 35 foot in the air. Man it aint as easy as it looks!!!
17051.jpg

Robert W. -

I suggest that first, you read the FAQ at the link above - it covers the serial number question for you.

What you've mentioned so far is NOT a serial number.

Herbert,

Here is the front blade on my 149. It hooks to the quick attach on the front and the back of the undercarriage slips over the cross rod that bolts to the fenders/footrests. You do need to remove the mowers Mule drive to put this on. If you have any other questions let me know...

17053.jpg

17054.jpg

17055.jpg

17056.jpg

Jeff E ,Is that a kitty litter pan under the cadet or is it not garage broke??

Jeff E:
Is your 149 a convert from a former manual lift tractor? Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, but normally the factory hydraulic lift tractors don't have the "rachet" welded on the bottom, do they?

Got to spend some time working on the 1x50 frame today. I've got it ready for paint and hope to shoot it this week if time permits. Started sanding the rear fenders and side panels today, too. Used a little gasket remover to get a couple of decals off. Wow! does that stuff work wonders.

Keith

Keith E. -

The ratchet is a bolt-on part. And IIRC, 149's came with hydraulic lift as standard. So the frame on the tractor in question must've been messed with or come from another tractor, perhaps a 109 or 129 or even a 1x8...

Rich,

Its not garage broke. Most likely the cork gasket is leaking. I'm ignoring it and hoping it goes away... :) Suprisingly it hasnt really lost any noticable amount of Hytran since it sprang the leak.

Keith/Bryan,

The ratchet is welded on. All I got out of the PO when I bought it was that he had his neighbor rebuild the engine a few years back, and he repainted the tractor at the same time. Its a 25ft paint job (notice the runs on the frame near the ratchet). The serial # on the rear diff seems to match up as a 149 and the approx. date seems to mesh with the parts on the tractor (manual pto, etc). Whether the frame is legit or not, who knows...

Another "what izzit" question...I picked up a really nice 2 stage snowblower for an 82 series today and this came with it. What izzit?
17059.jpg

For what it is worth I have a two cylinder 5hp air compressor that made a lot of noise. I vented the air intake out side of my shop with 2" pvc pipe and that reduced the noise by 70%.

The M&W is at its new residence in PA. It was great meeting Mike Masheris, his daughter and his two dogs. Tom H. I guess you saw I didn't need your help loading it. That low first gear makes going up the ramps a one man job.

That was a great IH Collectors Show in Auburn, IN. It was held at the Kruse Auction Barn which I couldn't find at the address I had for my mapquest. I stopped and asked if they knew where they might hold a tractor show and the lady said you must want the "cruise park". I said not car cruise but a tractor show.

It was nice to see all the forum members at the show and see Ken S. nice paint job along with a bunch of nice Cub Cadets. They had a nice banquet Saturday night and the food was good and was held in "The Victory Museum" which had antique cars and war memorabilia.
There was a Monster Articulating Tractor at this show. It was larger than any Monster Truck I have ever been close to. It had a very large winch built in to the rear section. I hope somebody posts pictures of it. I might be getting some and will post them if I get them.
It was called "Monstee Boss Hogg"

Back