• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 18, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Art was headed to another field, much warmer weather.

284644.jpg

Well here he's back at it in the Jacket and red hat in front of a bunch of green ones.

284645.jpg

Here's another look towards the beginning of this parade lap. I think Digger is in this pic!

284646.jpg

Art - impressive that the Original plows so well. I would have thought about the belt coupling to the tranny from the engine and maybe lighter weight as compared to later models might be somewhat a handicap?

Nice looking tractor, especially with the round fenders!

Tried to update my earlier post, but couldn't - so here is a new one.

Update - in a post a few days ago, I posted some pics of the front face of the frames on my 1250 parts tractor and my 1650. The 1250 frame had holes in it where hydro remotes would be mounted and the 1650 didn't. For some reason, I thought the 1650 was a late 1974ish make and an older machine than the 1250 - and that would account for the lack of remote hydro holes in the frame.

Wrong.

Here is a pic of the 1650's s/n plate:

284671.jpg

and the 1250's s/n plate:

284672.jpg

It appears (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 1650 is an October 1976 make and the 1250 is a April 1975 make.

So my thought that the older tractor wouldn't have the holes for the hydro remotes is out the window!

Shultzie and Luther tks for the info, Luther are you telling me that I might have to buy another one of these extremely rugged little yellow and white tractors. I really don't want to but I will if I have too.
happy.gif

Vince T.
I hollered ahead back at the end of that 1/4 mile run to keep it moving. He kept slowing down!
I think I banged his butt 3 or 4 times, until he finally got the hint! LOL
284677.jpg

Hey everyone, it's been about 2 years since I have been on here. I have a 1968 124 with the original k301 12hp engine. The machine has been running great until a few months ago when it started running great for about 30 minutes, then all of sudden it starts to sputter, lose power, and then shut off. Putting on the choke MIGHT help me limp it back to the garage, but it doesn't help much at all. I hadn't changed anything right before the problem started, and have seafoamed it, steamed it, changed the oil, replaced the carb gasket, changed the plug, and swapped the battery. I'm still having the same problem.

I got a compression tester in the mail today and tried it out. I started it today with a fully-charged new battery. It tested at 75 psi cold, and held that pressure for 5 minutes. I started it up, and it ran happily until the 30-minute mark, when it started to sputter again, shut off, and refuse to start again. I put the compression tester back on and it still tested right around 75 psi, and is still holding it 10 minutes later. I took the tests with the throttle wide open both times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim Z. I believe I had exactly the same symptoms you describe on my 1650. It was the coil, I tried a new one right out of the box and it did the same thing. I am using the old coil from my 70 Chevy pickup and have not had a sputter since.

Tim,
My vote would also be the coil. If you have another one laying around I would definitely try it. Jim

Thanks, guys. What do I ask for at the auto parts store to get one that will work for me? Are there automobile ones that work on the 124s?

Oh, and does anyone know what the acceptable compression range is for the k301?

Back