• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 18, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting back on topic... How about mounting a compressor pump on your Cub Cadet... ??? Mebbie we could take Foxtrot, and put all that extra frame-length to use by mounting the VW engine in it amidships, and using ALL FOUR cylinders... (De-stroked, of course, so you'd still have a little power left to plow)...

Heck, then you could convert all your hydraulics to pneumatics, and your 3-point will react much quicker (mebbie not have as much thrust... oh well...)... if you needed more drawbar pull, just open a big valve on the back of the tanks... and make a little noise.

Plus, you could run a repeating spud-gun for demonstrations, or hey... an air-operated seeding drill...

Dave, that's the reason Dunham eats a bunch of beans before Plow Day!!!

So that would be a CNG (compressed natural gas) injected diesel instead of a propane injected one???????

.......man has this train de-railed....Elvis has left the building.....

16953.gif

16954.gif

Did a BUNCH of looking for precision ball bearings for my engine I'm building. Checked at a Kohler dealer and they retailed $55, Cub Cadet dealer $28, Deere dealer $21. At that point I looked up the Deere information and they're a German F.A.G. bearing, at least it's name brand. Well, just to cover my bases, I went looking on the internet for an ABEC-1 bearing, basically that means they're made to a specific precision standard, many bearings aren't even rated by ABEC standards, the NTN 6308 C3 bearings I took out likely aren't. The bearings from McMaster are rated for about 25% more load and speed than other bearings I looked up. Long story short, McMaster has ABEC-1 bearings for LESS than everyone else, McMaster #5972K124 at $19. Not too bad, plus I know what I'm getting for certain.

As far as the compressors go, can you paint with a oil air compressor? I heard that it allows a certain amount of oil to be mixed with the air so that it also lubricates the pneumatic tools. Now if you are painting that would be a VERY bad ju-ju.

Wyatt,

The 6308 C3 is the correct bearing. You want the ABEC-3(C-3)as this has the right internal running clearance. The C-1 is a "looser" bearing and will allow more radial and axial movement of the crankshaft - not good. This bearing is designed for high radial preloads on assembly, thereby reducing internal clearances to design values. The Kohler fit does not allow for these high preloads and result would be excessive clearance within the bearing. All small engine manufacturers I know use a C-3 fit in a single piece outer housing. NTN is an excellent bearing brand, the company adhearing to ABEC standards.

I like that piston / rod picture. Don't you think that oil dipper should be lengthened on the billet rod? Should be an awesome engine. I might have to redo mine now.

I tried my newly rebuilt 14HP on my 125 today and cut some grass /weeds just to see if it worked right after the rebuild. It runs well except the governor does not seem to cut in when there is a load. It dies down a bit, not totally, and will speed up when I get ot of the tall stuff. Is this that spring adjustment or is the shaft adjustment still not right. Also, the idle seems to be OK. Thanks

I just got back from Auburn. Check out what was there. Plus the guy that helped design it and many other cub cadets.
16959.jpg

16960.jpg

16961.jpg

16962.jpg

I can't wait to get there tomorrow!

Here are some more of #411
16964.jpg

16965.jpg

16966.jpg

16967.jpg

Note the little differences in the Grill casting, fenders, etc.

Those are some awesome pics of 411. Hmm, wonder if this is the same tractor in the photo from 1960?
16971.jpg

Dave-
The information I looked up in my NTN catalog states that a C3 is a suffix for an internal clearance fit bearing, which makes sense since the bearings are pressed into their respective housings and the crankshaft slides in with little effort. It also states "NTN follows the ISO precision tolerance classes of P0, P6, P5, P4 and P2 which are equivalent to ABMA classes ABEC 1, ABEC 3, ABEC 5, ABEC 7 and ABEC 9."

If you have another resource to check this out for me, please check it out and let me know, any help and "preventative advice" is well taken.

I'm going to say a few words on air compressors. I use to work where they manufactured air compressors and they would buy different brands and run them to the point of failure. If you want one to last buy one with a oil lubricated pump not the oilless design. I worked for Devilbiss and they made Craftsman and Air Pro models from the 3gal tank up to the Dual stage 80 gallon tank.
Their best seller was the 5hp 60 gallon. I talked to a buddy the other day and he said they are gradually switching everything to the oilless design. They are made to sell now not to last. I have seen them all tested from Campbell Hausfield, Synco, actually the Ingersoll Rand lasted the longest.

Jeff:

That is what air filters are for. The lubricator is an inline device that adds oil to lubricate air tools. Usually come as a set with pressure regulator. Northern Has several.

Allmost all air compressors, execpt oilless use oil in the crank case. This includes paint shops. Single and two stage both have oil in the crank case. The devices mentioned are the way to clean/lubricate the air. The air filter also removes moisture for painting purposes.

Any target dates for PD No. 7?

Jeff R.- If you are running air tools you should have an inline oiler, or oil at least once with every use. And you should have a moisture separator as well.

If you are painting, you should have a moisture & oil separator.

So then some are oiless meaning that there is no oil in the case (loud in operation) Then there are some that have oil in the crankcase (quiet). Then there is the oil in the line for lubrication and also a filter for painting to remove the moister and oil... So the oil types are the way to go... Thanks, I think that I got it now...

Wow, it is so dead. Pulled the front off the 123 today to start rebuilding the PTO. Man it is so toasted. The center button cracked, the bearing is shot, and the list goes on... The center cast is the only good part... Maybe I should just buy a new one.
16974.gif

Jeff-
Changing you're profile title in the last half-hour huh? Wonder what Jeff's up to tonight?...
;-)

Back