• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 18, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art-
For what it's worth an Ingersoll SS3L3 isn't too bad on price and is supposed to be a cast iron 100% duty pump. It's rated for 3hp, but looking at the electrical requirements I'd say it's pretty conservatively rated.

WOW!
UPS truck broke down in town, saw it being carried out of town on my way home from work. Looks like I got lucky with my piston arriving.
All ready to go for machine work now!
16929.jpg

All,

For u painting experts. I need some advice on the HVLP guns I'm used to the older high pressure guns. (Binks Devillibiss)Hope someone chimes in.

George H

George, I'm no painter, but I went out and bought the cheapest HVLP gun I could find, and get pretty good results with regualar old Cub Cadet enamel.

Art

GET THE BIG ONE, even if you have to mortgage the farm, you can never have too much air. My son's wife bought him a sears pump like that small one and I can't stand the noise and it is slow compared to my large upright.

How far apart are your garages? Could you bury a line between them?

Art,
Just returned from home depot.
Husky Upright 60 gal. 7 hp 135 psi 11.8 cfm.
$399.00
Made me angry I had a that new 122 in the back of my truck so I couldn't bring it home.

George H

I took the Original over to Auburn tonight. What crappy Indiana weather!
angry.gif

16938.jpg

16936.jpg

16937.jpg

I hope to see alot of you there!

All

This jumped into the back of my truck today. I don't think the wife saw it yet. Either that or she is ignoring it so far, hoping it will go away.
your_image.gif

Art: Thanks and I will be careful. I will have a little snow till I hit the Ohio line but the PA TP should be okay.

Kent S.: I see you saved me a spot next to yours. The PA weather is been nasty the last couple of days. See you saturday.

George:

I got lucky and got one for $350.00 Somebody bought one and did not want it so it was a return, unused. I definitely like mine. I did put an entension on the bottom drain so I can drain the mositure without crawling under it.

It replaced a CH compressor that I have been using for 30 years. Replaced the motor several times and the foot valve, but the compressor is the original.

If the new one lasts that lone, I will outlast me.

I use mine to port heads and for just about ererything else.

Die grinder with a good wire wheel works great on the cub motors and on other cub parts

Wyatt:

Part is here. Nice piece.

What is the torque for it?

(Message edited by fmorski on March 18, 2004)

Dave Kamp,
Yes I am on the second one. The engine is freshly
rebuilt with new points and condenser. I didn't replace the coil but it seems to be working ok.
I have been emailing back and forth with a guy at hobbs and they are trying to figure it out. I'm sure it is somehow related to the ignition system.
But I don't think anything is wrong with it. I think the hourmeter just isn't compatible with it.

Art,
I have a 6.5 hp craftsman oil free and it works good for normal cub stuff. It does run constantly
when painting or using a D/A sander. I haven't
tried sandbasting with it. When I bought it, I didn't know what oil free meant. It means the connecting rods are out in the open with sealed
bearings. I didn't like the looks of that. If I
had it to do over I would get one with a crankcase and preferably cast iron.

Art- Here's a Knorr SL-20- it's one of the two rotary-screw compressors that supply air in the new Amtr*k Ace1a trainset. It's rated 85cfm@150psi. Motor is an ABB 480v 3-phase unit driven by the propulsion system's Auxiliary Inverter.
16946.jpg

The blue thing on the left is the motor. In the center is a centrifugal blower, which forces air over the heat exchanger (underneath the white shield on the bottom). The heat exchanger cools outgoing air as well as compressor-oil.

On the right is the rotary-screw compressor. It "looks" like a big one-cylinder job, but it's not- there's two asymmetrical screws that mesh tight-enough to 'ram' air from one end (the motor side) over to the sump-end. That big bulge on the top is an oil-separator... the screws are close-tolerance fit, and sealed, lubricated, and cooled with a special screw-compressor oil called Anderol 3057M.

Anybody wanna know more? I wrote the book AND teach the class...

Frank,
Have u used it for sand blasting?
If so how did it work?
How is the noise?

George H

Frank-
18-20 ft*lbs, but probably better to use an in*lbs wrench.

William, Have a safe trip out here. See you Sat.

Kent, I know what you meen I drove up to Auburn this morning in the heavy fog, after changing the tire out in the cold on my Aunts van before I left. Then drove home in the rain and snow, and loaded 2 more Cubs to take up in the rain. See you guys this weekend.
Both buildings were filling up fast today, close to 200 Farmalls probably 30 Cub cadets, and 40 parts vendors already.

Kraig,

That would be great if you have any pics or info on the loader. Hoping to get it back to the way it should be.

Air compressors -
Buy something decent and it will last a lifetime. In one shop we have an I-Rand T-30 (looks like a Harley engine mounted on it), 5HP Baldor motor - 2 stage obviously - 60 gal horizontal tank. In the other shop, we have a 33 year old Quincy 2 stage - 80 gal horizontal tank - same motor. That one has a cute little oil pressure gauge on it. We actually like the Quincy better - I also think it's a bit quieter. Both are all cast iron units and keep on pumping...

Back