• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 16, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello, i've rebuilt a 301 for a model 71. the engine runs great and is very strong but i get some strange rattle like noise when the tractor is not on a load. sounds like a loose engine mounting bolt to me insted of a rod knocking. puled it down and the only thing i can find making noise is the camshaft. with the rod out i spin the engine and the cam shaft makes a knocking sound. i replaced my crankshaft bearins tonight and added shims to the cam, the specs call for no more them 10k, 11k on the feeler gauge goes in but 12 won't it appears the teeth on the cam and crankshaft gears have play. is this normal? i've rebuilt engines before but i can't remember seeing a problem like this before. any tips or advice or ideas or a point in the right direction would be great. thanks
jesse

I never had it happen myself but I have heard guys on here say that if the cam or crank end play is too much they can make a sound similar to a rod knock. I have always made sure they were in spec and never had a problem. I don't think play in the gear teeth should matter since they are helical cut gears.

thanks Tod for your advice. for some reason i never checked the cam end play and i just reinstalled the spacer that came out of the eninge. when i added another spacer with that one i had 11,000 end play and 10 was the top end. it took 3 thin spacers to get a really tight 4,000 spec is 5 to 10 so i hope a tight 4,000 is'nt to small. I've never had this problem before so i've learnd somthing new the hard way i suppose lol. Thanks again

jesse

All loaded and ready to go pulling. 5 minutes before leaving, we receive email that pull is canceled due to wet track. 3rd pull in a row canceled due to the rain. Have yet to get the first pull of the season in. Just one of those years. I'm sure a lot of you pullers are facing the same dilema.
bash.gif

225693.jpg

Kirk: I'm not a puller, so please excuse the following stupid question.
hide.gif

I see a starter generator on your unit: do the rules require that you have a generator? I would think that you could make a faster run without that horsepower-robbing accessory installed, just running the coil from the battery. Or are you running without the battery, to save weight?

Ignorant, but curious.

Jeremiah, It's a starter/generator, mabey the rules require stock equipment.

Jeremiah,
Stock class...stock starter. It has a starter/generator because its called run what you got on hand. Keeps the $$$ down and since its a proven, consistant winner, I leave it as is. True, a starter/generator does use up a fraction of horsepower. That's why I have a switch installed to where I can "turn the generator off" so it doesn't try charging the battery while going down the track. I do always make sure the battery is fully charged before attending a pull by keeping it on a trickle charger.

Kirk: Thanks for the response. I'm glad I asked the question, I learned something. Seems like you've got everything covered.
Hope you're able to add a few more wins this season.
vroom.gif

Jeremiah: A few wins is all its probably going to be this season. I'm the owner and my son is the operator. My son is 17yrs old now and is getting heavy duty into motocross. He doesn't want to give up pulling all together though. So we plan on attending just a few pulls this season. Been pulling for 5yrs now and have had a good time and made friends with a lot of good folks.

Kirk, can you post a close up photo and some details of the reflectors you have on the fenders? Also, what's the decal say that is on the frame filler plate?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Kraig M.
Here's the decal and another shot of the ole dog. Someday this tractor could be returned to near stock since no extra holes, cutting, or welding has been done to it. That was our goal when putting it together. Every winter I consider taking it apart and repainting it. There's about four shades of yellow and plenty of surface rust on it. My son says leave it as is. Keeps it humble looking. But that all changes when its pulling the sled!

I put pics of the reflectors on the main forum.

225831.jpg

225832.jpg

hey im new to this site but i been pulling for years builded 8 tractors in the last year or so but they do very well my stock engines make 5 more hosre than stock

its a cub 100 with a 14hp done up making about 20 hp after market clutch and stock rearend

Hey Steven,

Great looking 100. 8 tractors in the last year? I can't even manage to get my one done in the last 3.

I'm just curious what you used to measure the HP of your 14hp. did you strap it too a dyno, or is it just an educated guess?

hey nic,
i put it on a dyno and my stock freshing up engine with differnet cam make 5 more hp than stock

Steven, I'm curious, what kind of dyno is it, water brake, or some type of timed mass acceleration. I only know 2 others and I've just never had the oportunity to check them out.

Back