• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 15, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tedd,
If you are going to use a Kawasaki engine, look to see what Deere uses on their units. Almost all of them run the kawa's and have some type of tach and/or hourmeter. I am not sure if they all read the rpm's or not. I will have to check when I get back to work on thursday to see what they have. I will pay special attention to the X-series to see what they have since they are the only model with a horizontal crankshaft.

Kent that decal looks FANTASTIC! <font size="-2">and the rest of the cub's not bad either!</font>
thumbsup.gif

Tedd-
So let me get this straight. It's got a long frame, so to tighten up the turning radius you're going to add a second rear axle???? Are you thinking turning brakes? If so, you may want to do only one rear axle, even at that you still may have issues with scrubbing, but then again if it's only going to be in the furrow, maybe it's a non-issue.

Hey Geezer- THAT's exactly what I was thinkin' of... sorry about the reference to the 'other' company, but the only ones I'd seen up-close were manufactured by the 'dogs'...

Tedd- you're a sick man... I LIKE it! I'm not exactly sure what it'll be like when it's done, but I'm sure you'll figure it out about the time you get there!

Made a little progress with Loader-Mutt over the last few nights, but not leaps-and-bounds. Just before the most recent snow, I was back perusing my scrap-stee pile, and I did stumble upon a piece of expanded-steel, thought it'd make a nice high-temperature grille insert... eventually I'll hafta adapt an exhaust system, and will probably hafta butcher a hole, but since I've got the stuff...

I cut a chunk to rough size with a 4" disk grinder and 1/8" thick cutoff wheel, and using a plastic grille insert as the template...
16875.jpg

I warmed up the edge-formations with the hand-held MAPP torch, and tapped the sides in 'till it fit the cast-iron well!
16876.jpg

Tedd,

Your mock up is very similar to the one that I did last weekend for my own project. I am curious what you plan on putting behind the seat to fill up the space. I am thinking about aux. fuel tanks, but I am concerned about being able to see the plow back there.

Also, do you plan on tracks? I am going to use tracks like you see on a bobcat.

Jon
Hope to see lots of you on Saturday. I heard an ad on the radio yesterday for it. I thought that was pretty neat.

j

Kent, very nice!!!!!! Is that a NOS dash decal?

Tom, if you liked that one, how about these from the archive? Originally posted by Rev.
16878.jpg

16879.jpg

Jonathan,

No tracks on foxtrot just a set up like a road grader. Here is the really bad drawing I posted a while back to give you an idea of what I'm doing.
16881.jpg

The scale is way off.... If I want to pull a plow, I will need the frame to go back that far. Maybe I will mount a camera/monitor system like on the big motorhomes.
wink.gif

The code name that I have used is cub trax. I am planning on using 2 transmissions. I go back and forth between a tandom config like yours or using the 2 transmissions. I have also considered building a set of tracks like those "mattracks" but the price alone for rubber tracks are crazy. I have contacted toro and bobcat on prices of their replacement rubber tracks for their walk behind mini loaders, but you are still looking at $350+ per track.

Jonathan

What do you think of this idea for a 4x4 Cub based utility vehicle with side by side seating? Kind of a John Deere Gator type vehicle.

Remote mount the hydrostatic power unit but keep it inline to a lowered, offset midmount engine. Have it drive the rear end through a transfer case to a drive shaft (The transfer case could be a chain and sprocket, perhaps the type of chain used in a snowmobile chain case). Have the chain, sprockets and rear driveshaft enclosed in a case to channel the Hy-Tran back to the rearend. The purpose for this would be for several reasons:
1) To speed up the Cub slightly with different tooth count sprockets.
2) To serve as a transfer case with a second drive shaft to the front 'rearend'.
3) To lower the engine mounting location and allow it to be mounted offset to one side to allow the front drive shaft a straight, or nearly straight shot to the front axle.

This would require a suspension as it wouldn't have a pivoting axle. Here's my plan for the suspension which would also widen the track. Remove the cast axle housings and install upper and lower A arms and axles with CV joints or u-joints and dual coil over shocks at all four tires/wheels. The fronts would of course need steering knuckles and might only need one set of coil over shocks. The steering column would also be offset to allow for side-by-side seating. The front axle would be a Cub rear end mounted backwards with the gears flipped. I'd use Cub Cadet rear fenders for the front fenders. unfortunately I don't have the tools to make some of the required parts like the transfer case, front steering hubs and the suspension. If only I could convince a certain guy in eastern Wisconsin to assist me. :eek:)

Here's a preliminary sketch I whipped up showing proposed engine and hydro location. This doesn't show any detail on the suspension setup.
16883.jpg

I've shared this idea with a few of you already but you may not have seen the latest sketch. Any and all suggestions or comments welcome.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 17, 2004)

That is one heck of a sketch!!

J

Kraig,
drool.gif
drool.gif
I'll take one. I like how you are using as many Cub parts as possable. Have you thought about a canopy or something of the like? I'm sure you can change your speed range by changing the gear reduction in the trans-axles. You might want to try a shortened golf cart axle in the front ah la Dan H's 4WD???

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

If only I could convince a certain guy in eastern Wisconsin to assist me.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

How many times have I offered to come over and help you set up a Cub for Plow Day events?
happy.gif

My offer still stands as it would be nice to get you on a cub for this year's Spring Break. I really think the plow tractor project should take priority over your utility project, even though it is WAY cool!

Art, um, you live in western Wisconsin. :eek:)

It's easy to sit at a PC and and cut and paste a conceptual vehicle, it's a whole 'nuther matter to make the thing. I don't have a heated shop, or any shop right now. I have a 2 place garage filled with a car and an SUV. I have my new 10x18 shed but it's full of siding for the house. Project #1 is finish the residing project, project #2 is build a lean-to onto the shed then wire the shed and insulate it to make it a heatable shop, then I can work on project #3, the refurbishment of the 2 125s, the K4K Original, the Hydro 80 for my daughter, the AC620 needs some attention then I can work on project #4, the Utility Cub. (assuming my spouse doesn't come up with projects #1A, 2A, 3A and so on) All of this is going to be hard to do, due to my severe case of tennis elbow from residing the first half of the house. :eek:(

Tedd, the axle that Dan used in the front of his 4WD 100 was a rear axle from a golf cart. I wouldn't have to shorten it but I'd still have to add steering knuckles and a suspension. I like the idea of A arms and coil over shocks better and it'd retain the Cub differential. Thanks for the suggestions though. I plan on a roll cage of some sort, possibily even a windshield and/or cab.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 17, 2004)

Kraig -

Projects 1A, 2A and 3A - would those be Adjustable????

Bryan, in a way, yes. They would adjust my schedule. :eek:) or would that be :eek:(

Hi to all cub operators!
Last fall i bought an old model 70.(it's serving me for my stock room!)When i start to picked-up differents parts i noticed that this tractor was painted in blue under the federal yellown paint.The blue paint seems to be done by professionals.Was it for a special occasion or simply warp idea from the previous owner?
Thx
P.S ; I ordered a center cap (steering wheel) for my 100 from a guy .His first name was Scott but;i don't remember his family name neither his Adress!!I still have an amount to pay him for the merchandise.

Could be Scott Madson or Scott Urschel

Was it Indiana or Wisconsin?

Kraig, that is a COOL idea. That would be one heck-uva project utility. I noticed that you had a certain Cub model as inspriration. Just an idea, but would the Original style headlights look cool on the front. I say that not only cause Originals are schmik, but with the 1x4/5 series headlights mounted inside the grill they are close together. The Original style headlights would seperate them so that there would be more spacing with the wider look of the utility vehicle.
Here is a pic of what I am trying to say.
16885.jpg

Kraig,
I feel your pain. Foxtrot is a time and material project. Don't plan on seeing it in the furrow anytime soon. Plus I have my list of house hold projects that get the priorities from the wife.
wink.gif

Jeff-Guess you have never seen a pair ripped off by a limb that jumps out on you.

J

Kraig-
You're right, I do live on the WESTERN side of Wisc. Thanks for pointing that out to me..
happy.gif

After reading your previous email I was wondering how someone could get Tennis elbow in the winter, but I didn't want to go there!
roflol.gif

Jeff-
Why not run both the stock headlights and the outboard-Original-style headlights. Hook them up like the older cars of the 70's and you could have high-beams!
thumbsup.gif

Back