• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 12, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blyons

displayname
Brad Lyons
Finally got a chance to play today.
26282.jpg

26283.jpg

Chains

It seems most guys have chains on their plower/blower/thrower units. I have a set, but since my 782 is the only thing I've ever had chains on (I had studded tires many winters ago, and then they found out they were bad and outlawed them), so I know little about chains. The set I have seems to be solid, but getting a bit flat from wear, and also spin more easily on ice than I think they should. Is there a time that a new set should be put on, rather than waiting til they fall off on their own accord from wearing out, or is it just a lack of decent weight on the rear of my machine that makes the chains not work as well as I imagined they should? Any traction and chain experts care to educate me? A little chain 101 would be welcome. Also, are they harmful to the tires, or is it OK for them to be on as long as I need?

Dale R,
Once you go with JD weights, you'll never go back!
26285.jpg

26286.jpg

Chains do not hurt a thing, everybody uses them at one time or another, even for plowing.
26288.jpg

26287.jpg

How to install chains, CLICK HERE

Brad!!!!!!
YOU DOG!!!!!!!
Ground is still froze up this way.
Details?
Who's the plowing gang you have there?

Charlie D.

OK, I'll put on a fake mustache and go out to see what I can find. Do I unbolt the IH ones I have, and stack the JD on all by themselves, or can I keep the set I already have (paid for) for the weight they give already? I hate to waste any good cast iron, you know. I see you have quite a bit of weight, did you just add until it was enough, or is there a concern on the tires' ability to handle a couple hundred pounds more?

Dale R,
If your puttin all this weight on a 582?
You can put the IH weights on the inside since it has internal brakes and the JD on the outside.
You got pics of what you have to work with?

Charlie, That is me on the 782D, Bill stock is on the 1450, and Rich Kesterson is on the 149. Luckily we were all able to get together to plow and get everything adjusted for plow day. Conditions were just about right for us here in IL, but we dont know about IA, we still might have some adjusting to do.

Charlie re: Weights

I have a 782, if that makes a difference. I apologize for not knowing all the differences, but I do know the model is 782. Sometimes I wonder what is referred to as a narrow or wide body, and hope to pick up some of this from just lurking. Would be nice if there were a glossary or a FAQ on general terms and lingo, but so far I've not found anything. I think a couple days at a pull or convention would answer a LOT of questions. I think there is one in Madison, WI in the winter, so I'll have to wait til next year. I'd like some reference to what fits which kind of tractor, too, so if I see something in the paper I'd know if I should even be interested in it fitting on my rig. In general, will any accessory fit on a 782 if it was made for a 582?

I'll get the digital camera out and get some shots of the unit I'm blessed with. Perhaps that will help.

Dale R,
So much for puttin weights on the inside of your 782 since it has external brakes. The 782 is a wide frame tractor.
You can however put the JD weights on first and then bolt IH weights to the outside.
Jonathan Luckey has a pretty good site that shows a lot of the Cubs. He STILL needs to finish it though, grin
CLICK HERE

Brad,
Well, what do you think of the "Smoker"?

BTW,
You should add a weight or two on the a$$ side.

Brad L,
I can tellya right now, what ground that is not still froze, it sloppy wet down that way.
I'm sure Travis can tell us more about the site though.
All I can say is, it better turn off HOT real soon and sunshine a bunch or PD is gonna be,Ummm, interesting? LOL

Looking for some specs. on a <font color="0000ff">FORD</font> 1100 compact diesel tractor. Anyone know of a good link?

Tom , first of all ( I LOVE IT ), I do plan on adding some weight to it before plow day, I just need to get my a$$ in gear and get the weights painted. Today was just a spur of the moment thing when my buddy called and said he was ready to plow.

What kind of loader is on this tractor on ebay?? Item # 4364511571

Tom,
What the hell you drinkin tonight???
That item # is for FIRMING BODY NOURISHER!
Are you tryin to tell us somethin there chief? Or is that your way of tellin us your coming out of the Cub closet?

Maybe you mean Item# 4364571571

(Message edited by cproctor on March 12, 2005)

Charlie,

Tom's not doing any worse than I am today......

I put the Mag 18 in the 782 this AM and proceeded to wire up the relay in the ignition etc. Everything was working great until I realized that when I plugged in the charging wire I was blowing fuses....

#$%^& Stator was shorted to ground (my fault, I didn't check it before I buttoned up the engine).

Sooooo, after lunch the engine came back out and on the bench for a stator swap with the KT-17 (pulled 2 flywheels, blah, blah, blah).

2pm it's all back together and ready to go...no fuses blowing. Crank, crank, crank...nothing. Figure that the fuel hasn't had a chance to get pumped into the carb yet (new fuel pump, air in line, etc.) so I give it a shot straight into the carb throat...crank, crank, crank......nothing. Pull the plug wires, no spark on #1 and tiny little AA battery spark on #2.........$%^&%$#$%^ coil pack/mag ignition module is junk...SOAB, now I have to pull the thing back out AGAIN and replace the part right $%^&^%^% beside the part I just fixed!!!!!!!

...no, I didn't put 12v to the module, yes the air gap is OK...it must have gone south during the josteling around of cleaning it up and installing it (old brittle wires, etc.)

AND.....I'm only gonna say this once.......I was forewarned my Mr. Aytay that I should replace the coil pack/mag because it's a PITA to do (I.E. pull engine), but I didn't listen to him.

Art was right, I was wrong.....oh well, I'm a hell of an 82 series mechanic now...know where all of the bolts are and just what wrenches I need to get them off......

Well Charlie, yes and no. Yes, my daughter <u>is</u> a culinary student set to graduate in June. No, I'm not coming out of the closet, never been in it either. And no I'm not drinking. I had a long, cold day at a auction, and I'm tired. Sorry to say I did't bring anything home, but it was all junk selling for big $$.

Steve "B",
This must have been you!
rant.gif
I can see Art now.
whistling.gif
"I told ya' so!" Nice time to bring up this clipart.
tomato.gif

clappy.gif
Tom's got me in tears over here! I'm thinking "oh cool! another loader to look at!" then I get body lotion!
clappy.gif

LOL! I think we all have those days.

Steve - that sucks. And it takes a hell of a man to admit someone else was right
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back