• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 11, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one steering cylinder mounted. Waiting for the joints to mount the other.
16749.jpg

It's nice to have the forum back - I was "Jones'n" a bit, if you know what I mean. Thanks, Bob & Bryan. And anyone else out there in computer land that helped get 'er goin' again.

Made a whirlwind trip to Ryan's and back. Picked up my 1200 and got to play in Ryan's shop for awhile. Met Cyrus Mull, Ryan & Amanda's 5-week-old son. He's a helluva man, for an infant, that is. I even got Ryan to try Wasabi @ Chinese restaurant. Warmed him right up.

Out to the shop for me to enjoy my bachelorhood. Later.

While I'm sure we'd LOVE to take all the credit for fixing the forum, at this point I don't think the forum was ever broken.

Folks, y'all need to realize something about the internet, when you request a page from the forum you're not talking directly to the webserver, your request is passing thru perhaps a couple dozen OTHER providers until it reaches its destination.

As of last night, a traceroute (STFW
lol.gif
) showed that all traffic stopped at sprintlink.net in Tacoma, WA. At this point, traffic is going beyond that point and obviously ending up at the webserver cuz the forum's "working" now.

To put it in other terms, there appears to have been a pothole somewhere on the information superhighway, and they filled it today.

Bryan:
Methinks the "pothole" along the information superhighway is reappearing - this thing's moving kinda slow at the junction. (You TVLand folks ought to know to what show I'm referring.)

Any of you folks ever had your WF frame crack at the cross piece to which the steering gear housing is attached? I cleaned up the frame on the 1*50 QL tractor I'm working on and found three cracks emanating from one of the two wormgear housing mounting holes. Maybe it's common but I don't recall ever having seen this before.

Bryan:
Methinks the "pothole" along the information superhighway is reappearing - this thing's moving kinda slow at the junction. (You TVLand folks ought to know to what show I'm referring.)

Any of you folks ever had your WF frame crack at the cross piece to which the steering gear housing is attached? I cleaned up the frame on the 1*50 QL tractor I'm working on and found three cracks emanating from one of the two wormgear housing mounting holes. Maybe it's common but I don't recall ever having seen this before.

Keith E.
I haved found several QL frames cracked just behind the front cross member. Whenever I am working on one I check that point real close as it is usually a hair line crack if you catch it early.

Travis-
I never told you over the phone but publicly I'll say that that tractor looks very good, that '82 series grille and 26" tires just looks nothing short of the way IH would have had it. With your side business, day job, putting an addition on your house, and working on the Fire Dept time's pretty tight for you. The tractor's going along and looks great, it's been a long time coming for a project to come as far for you. Keep up the nice work.

Lye paint stripper is working. After doing this, it ought to be sure exciting to watch paint try!
happy.gif

16753.jpg

whatever the red paint was is sure hard to strip off!

Yeah, with high packet latency inherant in satellite transmissions like my Direcway system, a tracert command can sometimes be misleading. And depending on who's passing ICMP traffic, that can fool you too. In fact, right now, tracert shows this:
12 1111 ms 1252 ms 995 ms sl-bb23-tac-14-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.9]
13 1496 ms 2056 ms 880 ms sl-gw2-tac-0-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.17.109]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.

I'm going to bring the 124 into the garage from the shed this week to get it ready for PDIII in PA. Should be picking up a new 5x10 landscape trailer in a couple weeks too. Been wanting one for a long time.

Mark

Hey Travis- take CLOSE UPs, man! I wanna see details... with those far-aways, I can't even tell what 'ya really did even if I wipe the drool-marks off my monitor...

Hey Wyatt- We've got a local surplus place that bought some some big bins of metal pieces of farm implements made by the local Farmall/IH plants, all out of substantial vintage. They've got red paint, probably the same stuff that's on your pedestal. I wouldn't be suprised if it's DuPont Imron, as I've worked with the stuff a little bit (taking it off more'n putting it on) and it's darned-near iron...

Since the forum was un-assessable, our 4th daughter was born on the 11 of March at 1:42 PM. Her name is Hannah Rose. Here is her pic.
16760.jpg

Doug Bucket Barnett and I got together today. We talked Cubs, got the deck on his refurbished 149. Man is that a sweet job that he did. Man, I just loved looking and driving the 14hp. I REALLY want a 1x9.

Dave, there's a couple reasons that there are no close-ups. First, I can't handle emails from people telling me that it should have been done differently (these usually come from people that will never even attemp anything of the sort). Second, there seems to be quite a few people doing these, and it's the differences in the way they are done that makes them interesting. I'll snap some and email them to you if you want some

Bryan, let me get this straight. You drove to WA just to fill a pothole?
lol.gif

Wyatt, thanks. Now I'm going upstairs to act like a Dad ;-)

Oh yeah, I have to order some new ags for the rear. I can't handle looking at those turfs. The only way I can get the others back is to drop charges on the guys that took my stuff.

Jeff-CONGRATS! She is a cutie!
happy.gif

I finally get the Tru-Powers on board this year,it's only been over 2 years. Oh well,better late than never I guess. Now I just gotta hammer all these weights on there somewhere....
16762.jpg

16763.jpg

Gotta run the bumblebee back to my Dad tomorrow. It sure runs good but talk about BASIC! 'Course,my Dad is kinda "basic" too.
16764.jpg

I think Travis wins "builder of the year" award. First the diesel, and now this!

Jeff-
Congrats!

Bryan-
Thanks for the lesson in road repair. Now that the forum's back up, I get to enjoy my "washboard dirt road" dial up again!
happy.gif

More progress on Loader-Mutt!
Tonight's effort was more-less on the foot-operated ratio controls. I love my 109, especially now that it's got hydraulic lift, but one of my not-so-likings is that while it only takes two hands to drive, it takes three hands to operate the dozer-blade I've seen a few other's concepts of moving the ratio-controls down to the feet, and some methods I liked, and some I don't. Since I'll be running the loader, I'll want one (right) hand free to operate the loader's control valves. The other hand will be on the wheel, enjoying power steering. That leaves two feet free to do other tasks. I've decided that I'll have ratio/direction control at my toes, as well as separated brake pedals for those instances when I need turning assistance or need to tie-down a spinning wheel.

Please ignore the visual quality of tonight's work- it's predominantly a 'mock up', and once I've got all dimensions, etc. firmly resolved, I'll make the 'real thing' using good stuff and clean techniques.

I started by taking pieces of the old clutch-brake shaft and making it into a dedicated ratio-control shaft. I tacked a piece of drilled strap-iron to an original brake bellcrank, and did some backwoods-adaptation to make a clevis out of the old ratio-control's automatic-centering device. I hooked it all together with the original cam-slot plate, found an appropriate swing radius and setpoint to yield full forward, and full reverse with 25 degrees of shaft rotation in both directions.
16768.jpg
16769.jpg

Then I butchered an old wide-frame clutch-brake pedal
16770.jpg

...Yes, I moved the blade-guide up so that it wouldn't obstruct the photo...

And layed it out against the frame for a look-see.
16771.jpg

Notice the lines and notes drawn onto the frame? That's how I figured out my control geometry. I KNEW there was a reason why I didn't paint that end of the frame yet!

Here it is, with the pedal-plate lopped off, and all those QL-bends removed, and a new one added... tacked in place...
16772.jpg

and with the pedal all the way down (full-forward-ratio)
16773.jpg

and full up (reverse)
16774.jpg

and spring-return to centered
16775.jpg

Notice I've tacked on a heel-plate... it works nicely, but I'll probably make the 'real' pedal arrangement so that the heel plate is back another inch toward the rear fender, to allow more heel-clearance and better control over reverse ratio.

And here's Nick...
16776.jpg

He's the biggest CUB fan in the whole house!

Hi All. It is that time of year when I plug what I consider to be my local antique tractor show. This show is a great family oriented gathering that has attactions for all ages. There are the tractor, gas engine and equipment displays, working equipment displays, antique tractor and horse pulls, live entertainment, a fleamarket/swapmeet, and many other activities. This is the 26th year for this show that is held in Winamac, Indiana (roughly halfway between Chicago, IL and Indianapolis, IN) on July 15-18th. John Deere is the feature this year and most exhibits are welcome that are 25 years old or older, but I'm sure any of you guy's within driving distance and that like to do the show thing can pack the place with Cub Cadet's
happy.gif
The club has a website with information at http://www.winamacpowershow.com/

Kent

Anyone planning on going to the Winamac show Kent mentioned might also be interested in stopping by the Hoosier Valley Railroad museum in North Judson Indiana, just west of Knox Indiana (route from Chicago can take you this way).

http://hvrm.railfan.net/

Jim

Sometimes ya just have to put enough together to make it look like an engine to keep yourself motivated . . . .
your_image.gif

"Putty Porting" is complete, ready for machine work.

Anyone do their own valve job on a Kohler with some stuff from Goodson?

Latest posts

Back