• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 10, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Kyle - You're right. When I was a kid I asked so many questions that people hated seeing me come ... kinda like now ;)

But the first thing to do is think out your problem before asking. Educated questions are easier asked and the answers don't hurt as much.

The better half is home so I'm out of here, gonna go add the Cermax to the Rodeo and run it.

I just try to push saftey and thinking before doing anything. I just see to much of people doing dangerous stuff and people wanting others to do their work for them.

Have fun out there this week end !
PIZZA!

I'm just getting around to looking at that clutch spring on my 108 that I talked about on the 1st, since the snow seems to be over for now. I now see from the diagrams Kraig posted that its the teaser spring that is broken, not the main spring. Unfortunately I ordered the main spring by mistake, I didnt know there were 2 springs on the shaft.

I just want to confirm that the teaser is causing my problems, ie the tractor wont move except when I hold the clutch pedal in one sweet spot. Am I still going to have to take out the whole shaft to replace the teaser?

I suppose I should ask if I can MacGiver the teaser, although it probably wont be necessary since I dont need the tractor right away and it shouldnt cost much to replace.

Shane,
If you valves are single stand alone you will most likely hook them up in series.

Illustrated below, shows an open-center
system with a series connection. Oil from a pump is routed to
the three control valves in series. The return from the first
valve is routed to the inlet of the second, and so on. In
neutral, the oil passes through the valves in series and
returns to the reservoir, as the arrows indicate. When a
control valve is operated, the incoming oil is diverted to
the cylinder that the valve serves. Return liquid from the
cylinder is directed through the return line and on to the
next valve. This system is satisfactory as long as only one
valve is operating at a time. When this happens, the full
output of the pump at full system pressure is available to
that function. However, if more than one valve is operating,
the total of the pressures required for each function cannot
exceed the system’s relief setting.
53038.gif

If its a valve bank it will most likely operate like this series parallel circuit.

Illustrated below, shows a variation on the
series-connected type. Oil from the pump is routed through
the control valves in series, as well as in parallel. The
valves are sometimes stacked to allow for extra passages. In
neutral, a liquid passes through the valves in series, as the
arrows indicate. However, when any valve is operating, the
return is closed and the oil is available to all the valves
through the parallel connection. When two or more valves are
operated at once, the cylinder that needs the least pressure
will operate first, then the cylinder with the next least,
and so on. This ability to operate two or more valves
simultaneously is an advantage over the series connection.

53039.gif

If the pressure lines are paralleled to the valves you will have to operate both valves at the same time. One valve wouldn't have any pressure unless you fully pressurize your source line, but then you will be wasting a lot of HP.

About 9 years ago I purchased my first computer and in the process of learnig to surf the web I typed in International Cub Cadet. I really don't think I have missed more than a month or two of posts since. I have seen first hand how the power of the pen can cause people to get really emotional.
Ken, your contribution to the CCF is unpresidented and much appreciated. My point here is "Stupid Questions" are so much easier to fix than "Stupid Mistakes" this web site gathers people in from all over the county to share information about CC's, oil,fuel,tires and yes even hydraulics. In conclusion, I believe we have a great thing here no matter what the question and an obligation to voice an opinion on safety too!}

Are the studs in the steering assemblies interchangable between models? I realize that there are several different part numbers, but these little gems are almost 30.00 apiece from Cub Cadet. The one on my 125 is shot, but I have several from the 1X8 and 1X9 series. Thanks

Wayne S.-

Yes, the clutch must be removed and disassembled to access the teaser spring. While you're in there it'd be a good idea to true up the pressure plates on a lathe, get a new friction disc, throwout bearing, and main spring too. New spirol pins wouldn't hurt either, after this your 108 will be ready for another 30 years.

David G.-

I'm 99% sure they are, set them side by side, if they look the same you should be good to go.

Shane,
If you plan on going with the series/parallel connection setup, which is most common, you will need a power beyond port.

What is power beyond?
Power beyond - also called high-pressure carry over (HPCO), is a facility on a mobile hydraulic directional control valve that enables the pressure gallery to be isolated from the tank gallery and be carried over to an additional valve - usually another directional control valve. The valve being fitted must be sized to handle the rated flow from the pump.

The arrangement of the power beyond facility varies with valve type and manufacturer. However the most common arrangement is a facility to install a threaded plug or sleeve that blocks the drilling between the pressure and tank galleries inside the valve. The power beyond port is then used to supply pump flow to the additional directional control valve. If the existing directional control valve has an alternative tank port, this allows the tank line from the additional valve to be connected to tank via the existing valve (Figures 1 & 2).
53045.jpg

Figure 1. Simplified line drawing showing pressure and tank galleries of a directional control valve (DCV) in open center arrangement.
53046.jpg

Figure 2. Connection of an additional open center DCV using the power beyond facility.

Most mobile directional control valves can be made closed center by plugging the drilling between the pressure and tank galleries and leaving the power beyond port plugged (Figure 3). This means that if the existing valve is closed center, supplying pump flow to the additional valve only requires the connection of its pressure line to the existing valve's power beyond port (Figure 4).
53047.jpg

Figure 3. Simplified line drawing showing pressure and tank galleries of a DCV in closed center arrangement.

It is important to note that if the existing valve is closed center, the power beyond plug or sleeve must be installed in the additional valve to make it closed center also(Figure 4).
53048.jpg

Figure 4. Connection of an additional closed center DCV using the power beyond facility.

I got this information from here.
http://www.insidersecretstohydraulics.com/power-beyond.html

Ken,
I agree with you too.
happy.gif

Dang, that's kinda warm and fuzzy...ick

David G.
There are 2 different followers/studs.
PN/IH-62806-C2 Used with steering gear IH-400884-R91.
This is the one you'll want to get.
53050.jpg

PN/379992-R1
53051.jpg

Terry B.
Can anyone join that insiders group?
I'm dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to hydraulics, or as they say on Greedbay, HYDROLICS.
biggrin.gif

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I find this stuff cool. This will be my last valve post...... honest.

When you look at these valves in a bank the flow is considered parallel. This is because when the spool shifts it closes the main feed line and diverts the oil to a parallel path. The picture on the left shows all the valves in their neutral state. The red line shows the oil flow. When the spool shifts the red flow line goes to a parallel path and turns off all the oil to the downstream valves. The green line shows the return line from the cylinder.
53058.jpg
53059.jpg

53060.jpg

When the valves are independent this is how I believe they should be hooked up, in series. The picture on the left show the neutral position and the right picture shows one valve on. Notice the second valve always has oil and pressure. Again, the green line shows the return from the cylinder. There will not be as much power available to the second valve when the first is shifted.
53061.jpg
53062.jpg

I for one hate to feel that I was too stupid to come up with the right answer on my own that is why I may ask an pe-emptive question now and then. A guy has to learn from somewhere. This forum is pretty much the best place to learn something other the basic stuff.

As an example on that plow I am working on. I built the front end of it on my own and with whatever limited knowledge I had of my own. I had though about it for a long while and figured that would be a good way to go about it. Turns out I was close and I was thinking, I just needed some experience to poke me a little more into the right direction.

Ryan-
Well said!

Ken-
The "knife against the belt" post was made by me.

You're right, that was a dumb thing to do. I won't do it anymore....

wink.gif

Terry,
Thanks for the great class on hydraulics. I'm just finishing up some repairs on a production server that crashed today. Glad I asked all of those computer questions when I was a kid. I had an uncle sort of like you who was happy to share advice and use the right terminalogy. Probably annoyed the heck out of him sometimes.

Kentuck,
No offence ment and no offence taken. I reckon if you were afraid to speak your mind Charlie would have to quit calling you the Grump and we wouldn't know when to take you serious. I appreciate your concern for safety. I'm not looking to jump into something stupid. Just looking for more information than I got from Google and often find myself chewing on one cub idea or another. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

On a cub note, I think Mom is going to be pretty happy with her little 149. I got to spend a little time on it last night and the rattles are about gone, the seat isn't cracked anymore and the pin in her hydro lift handle isn't half sheared off now. I just need to get the fluids changed and replace a blown headlight.

Everyone survive the guv'mint mandated time change? Looks like the forum did...

Your advice needed please.

I'm in Virginia, just outside Petersburg.

I've just purchased a 149 which is in Ohio.

Not two hours later a friend tells me he will give me his 109 which is in pretty good shape outside of needing a starter, tune-up, and air in the tires. His son got him a new tractor and he does not have a use for the 109 and has no room to store it inside, so it's been sitting outside this winter. He just wants it to get a good home. The catch is it's in Illinois!

To pick up both of these tractors is about 1800 miles round trip. Massive road time and gas money!

What would y'all do? Anyone used a shipping service? Is the 109 worth the time, trouble and expense?

BTY, anyone know the weight and measuremnts of a 109 and a 149?

HELP!

Thanks.

Bryan:
Tomorrow morning at 8:01 will tell the tale (when everyone checks the schedules on their corporate supplied CrackBerry).. Nice of Sun to pop a change to the procedures on the JVM patch at the last minute. Finally got around to it and patched all the 'puters here - KentucK's probably been up all night with the herd he's got.
James: Just makes the road trip a little longer! Gotta give all of those unwanted Cubbies a home..
thumbsup.gif

Back