• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 08, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another "novice" question here:

How does one straighten a couple of smaller creases on the hood of an original?

Richard,

Give me a call at my office. (954) 704-9590 ext 4502. I have a pretty good arrangement with FED-EX FREIGHT.

I will need the weights of the items being shipped and the pick up and delivery Zip Codes to work up a quote for you. There are a couple of conditions that must be met, but I will go over them with you when you call.

Richard E,
It amazing what you can find for just that purpose right here onsite.
err.gif

CLICK HERE

Need a little advice.

Since my 782 threw it's drive shaft and it has a leaky axle seal. I'm thinking about "going through" the rear end. I figured that my axle seal is probably leaking due to a worn bearing. So I will replace both seals and bearning on each axle. since I'm going though the trouble would you guys recomend replacing the carrier bearings and the pinion shaft bearings? or should I just check and perhaps reshim them?

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

Thanks for the advice!

Gas smell

Even though it was just an inch of light fluffy, I had to use the thrower for something, so once again I fired up the 782 for a few minutes of fun.

The question I have is that every time I do this in the evening, my wife insists that I stink of gas/oil and makes me shower up before rejoining the rest of the family. I certainly can appreciate a bit of the burned gas/oil smell on the coat and ski pants, but am wondering if this is a "normal" smell from the 17 hp Kohler gas engine, or is it a sign it needs some carb work or its beginning to burn a bit of oil? It doesn't smoke, runs well or so I think. The best I can explain it is if I'd run a chain saw for awhile and seem to eminate the same odiferous component when I'm done.

Do all gas cub guys smell this way after fun (with their tractor)? I certainly would NOT dress for work, slip on a pair of coveralls, quick blow a few inches of snow, and think I could go to work in a semi professional place and not raise eyebrows.

Comments?

Richard E. shipping big items is expensive ,if you are patient you might try posting in the cub haulers section . you would be suprised at how much cub stuff gets moved from the guys on this forum. the plow days in the spring are a good chance to get stuff moved.

Dale,
Same problem here. I tried turning the high mixture screw in but then it backfired. I think its the nature of the beast. The beast being the cub.
If anyone comments on the smell tell them its a badge of pride.
thumbsup_old.gif

Dale "R",
I think it's a woman thing! My wife says the same thing. I think it's their way of making you feel guilty for havin' fun!

Jim,

I highly doubt that the needle bearing in your axle housing caused your seal failure...the seal is probably just old and dried out.

If it were mine, I would replace both axle seals, (and rear cover gasket by default), fill it with fresh Hy-Tran and a new filter then take it out and use it for another 15 years.

Steve B.
I have a Fugi S3500--great camera for the money.
Didn't have a scanner so I took some pictures of these photos (in low Res. mode).
26265.jpg

26266.jpg

Dale R.

I know what you mean about the smell, it kind of reminds me of snowmobiling in my younger years.

I put a 45 degree tail pipe on my 1250 to direct the exhaust off to the right.
26273.jpg

Hello, I need some info. I own a 782 and looking for a parts machine, someone called me and offered a 1620. The owner stated it is a twin 16 hp kohler I think it is a 18hp kohler however is this machine (1620) compatible with my 782 17hp Kohler. Hydraulics, wheel size etc.

Thank You

Could someone post some pictures of the "Cadet" 81's transmission inyards? We ended up breaking the shifting forks on it & that is why R turned into a forward gear.

On the sleeve hitch adapter... What diameter is the release pin supposed to be? The one that was given to me with the adapter I bought from a member is 3/4" and the hole in my BH cultivator (no plow yet) is ~9/16".

Could someone measure their pin and the hole size on the plow?

Should I just need to keep a couple different size hitch pins?

===

EDIT: just read across the street "5/8" hitch pin".

Weird that the holes are so different sized... isn't that just begging to be "wallowed" out over time?

(Message edited by rmunday on March 12, 2005)

Pierre,
A 1620 and a 782 have about as much in common as an apple and an orange! I believe the 1620 has belt driven rear trans-axle and a vertical shaft engine. It is also much smaller than a 782. Other than the battery, I don't think there is going to be to much that you can use for parts on your 782.

On the gas smell- I use MMO in my 1250, gas and oil. Might be my smeller, but don't smell the fumes as much. Noticed it on about second tank of gas.
dunno.gif

Hey Dale

I had a very stinky 782 also. It turned out to be a mixture problem. I did a rebuild and leaned it out. The other thing I found was the foam insulator around the motor was soaked with gas oil and sludge. Now I park the beast in the basement under the kitchen with no problem. of course I need to roll the nose out the door for start ups.

John S.

I had just had the carb rebuilt, and I'm trying to remember if it was quite as bad as it is now. The whole tank of gas would run into the oil sump, and made for some exciting starts with a gyser of stuff coming up out of the breather tube into the air cleaner. After the carb build, I would hope that the guy doing it had tweaked it to the best running settings. I, through guidance delivered here, have downloaded the Kohler manual and tried tweaking the mixture myself, but still runs sort of rich smelling. I guess I'll have to try the MMO trick, but with the severe lack of snow, I've only used two tanks of gas all winter. bummer.

Thanks for the update.

Converting those green wheel weights.

Some of the guys who've posted pix of their rigs with nice sets of wheel weights have responded to my emails telling me to go (I'm assuming under the cover of darkness) to the green tractor places, get some wheel weights and spray them white or such,in order to get some weight on the rear, and do so more economically than trying to find authentic ones. Is there a particular size that seems to work better, or do any of the garden tractor Deere weights work? And do I need to remove the one set of originals that I do have, or can I somehow get some bolts to protrude through and add these new ones to the outside? Just trying to get prepared to do a little fixing up and with the experience of the posters here, might save me a few mistakes.

Thanks

Back