• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 08, 2004

• Thread starter roundy fendered cubs rule!
  • Start date
IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No luck so far on the VW powered Cub but I found these photos of a Cub Cadet with a snowmobile engine in it. If I recall correctly this was on ebay a while back.

16630.jpg

16631.jpg

16632.jpg

here ya go, kraig

16634.jpg

I would LOVE to build a VW powered cub! Seems to me that the Cub gear-drive tranny was only rated for something like 18hp though, so you wouldn't want to run something too "hot" in it...

Richard-
McMaster-Carr carries a small battery powered pump that's used for Kerosene and other light oils
16636.gif

Looks to be about $18.
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a hand-operated "plunger" style pump and attach a length of clear-plastic hose to the outlet?

Here's the VW powered Cub. Paul Bell took this photo at the 2001 Red Power Round Up.

16638.jpg

Here's some other repowered Cubs.

16639.jpg

16640.jpg

16641.jpg

and there's this one...

16643.jpg

Here's a link to a website where there is more info on the "Cub Ca-debt", the V8 powered Cub Cadet that Scott posted.

(Message edited by kmcconaughey on March 09, 2004)

Kraig-
I did a LOT of looking into that Cub Cadet with the Waukesha. AFAIK it's one of the ideal transplants for a Cub Cadet. Unlike about other multi-cylinder transplants, this inline four should be able to be fitted without cutting a narrow frame. The pictures look like that particular tractor did, but depending on how you "option" the engine it shouldn't need it. Spark plugs and service items are readily available. It's ultra-smooth (sounds like a Farmall Cub engine) and I believe that there's a Waukesha kit to eliminate the mag and put an electronic ignition on it. It's a flathead, and I'm not certain, but it might have a Ricardo-type head on it that Waukesha & Ricardo developed for Model T Fords.

Where to find them? They might be a little hard to find, but they used to be used as a small pony motor and if you're in the Texas-Louisiana region or in Wyoming where BIG engines are used, these were put on as starter engines on old diesels.

Oh, and as was asked, that's a model Waukesha ICK, or sometimes (I believe incorrectly) referred to as a "1CK".

I've been looking/lusting for one, but have come up empty-handed.

And on that Waukesha Ricardo head, AFAIK it's the father of modern flathead head. A sample of an ad is in ebay item 3664650538. Furthermore, you can see what Ricardo engineering turned into at www.ricardo.com , probably on the cutting edge of engine design . . . . other than F1 racing.
happy.gif

Wyatt, it looks like the major alterations to the Cub frame were moving the pedistal back a few inches and mounting the steering column with less of a slant. Somehow I knew you'd have some input on that Cub's engine. :eek:)

At least he picked the right model to chop up...right Travis?
lazerburn.gif

Wyatt-
Any clue how much HP those engines produce?

Kraig - You have the pic's of the 154/185 LoBoy at RPRU in Penfield that had the BOSS 302 Ford engine in it? Tim Allen would have been proud of That Cub!

Kraig-
If driven from the flywheel end, and not the PTO end, AND removing the mag drive, that engine should be able to fit in an unaltered frame, tight but unaltered. Wide frame or SGT would be a breeze. I did the measurements on the ICK on display in the lobby at Waukesha Engine. By the looks of the engine in the picture it might have had one of the heavier flywheels on it which makes me think it wasn't a starter engine but possibly an engine in something like an aux power unit. (hindsight being 20/20 I should have made a copy of the blueprints!)

Art-
Dunno the HP, but I'm guessing around 10-14. It was enough to turn over about a 5400 cubic inch diesel engine. One of my co-workers told me there was some sort of "dance" to starting the engine, pull start the ICK engine, and hold a foot or hand on it to keep it throttled (depended on how wide your hands reached) and then work the governor and throttle valve to get it going. Typically if a natural gas pumping setup ran, it only had one engine you had to do this routine, the rest of the engines would have air starters that would run regulated 60psig natural gas to run some sort of Ingersoll air motor/starter.

Wyatt-
Is that one of those military spec engines that we've seen on this forum before? A 4cyl of the 10-14hp size must really pur!

Art-
I dunno if it's military spec, I'm thinking of that era ('30's to early '60's) small military spec engines were air cooled, maybe something like a Wisconsin engine.

Doing a little research, looks like they were put as gensets on railcars and possibly MOW equipment. IF the latter's the case, I'd say good luck since anything of that use that's still salvageable gets snatched up right away.

Back