• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 08, 2004

• Thread starter roundy fendered cubs rule!
  • Start date
IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny-
Did that fella with the 302'd Lo-Boy have it listed as a "Boss 302"?? Boss 302's would have Cleveland-style heads with 4-bolts in the valve covers on the rail closest to the exhaust ports, not three like he has.

I guess even if he listed it as a "Cobra" 302, as in a '93-'95, motor it's still the same thing as a regular HO unless he kept the EEC-IV (and I see he still has some hair on his head, so that can't be the case
happy.gif
)

(Message edited by wcompton on March 09, 2004)

The engine in the stretched Original is a 4 cylinder Teledyne Military Standard engine, 32 cube, 6 hp (USG Rating), the Original with the number 230 on the grille has a 2 cyl, horizonal opposed B&S if I remember correctly, and the the one above it has a V-twin Vangard. The pictures were taken at Denton, NC show. Either the one with the Teledyne or the Vangard, don't remember now, is S/N 649.

I got the lights working on the 123. It was so cool to see them come on for the 1st time. The grote gave me a little grief, but I adjusted the bulb and it popped on.

The 122 has a leaking head gasket and I tore it down this morning to replace it. Will post pics on the next page cause this one has over 70.

Just heard, FWIW, that the old IH plant site in Canton, IL will soon be a six screen cinema....far cry from the plows and cultivators that use to roll out of there......

Does anybody know if the 149 cubs can be converted to power steering. I have a hydro I and I have started restoring it--thought it would be a nice addition. Just curious as to if anybody has converted one.

joe

Mil Spec Engines

The ones shown in the repowered cub picts are type 4A032. Originally Teledyne but also built by Chrysler, Wisconsin, and Webtec in series production bids. All parts for all mfrs are interchangable. Also built as a 1 cyl 1A08 and a 2 cyl 2A016 ( 8 ci/cylinder).

There is another, bigger series based on a 21 ci cylinder, generally available as a 2 cyl - 2A042 and a 4 cyl - 4A084.

These engines were used in gen sets, welders, air compressors, etc depending on the power required. NOS engines are availble for the 4A032 and 2A042 and perhaps others. Used ones are up for govt auction constantly. Usually on the other side of the country from you.

Jim

Tim D.

Thanks for the loader pix. I can see the loader would be real handy to have around the house. We may take the loader off the 125(depending on the condition of the tractor) and put it on a 123.

Two questions for the forum members: Were 122's available with an optional 23x10.50 turf tire?
Has any one ever seen one of the Danhauser post hole augers? That would be another handy pc of equipment to have, as it would get into tight areas and would sure beat lifting the two man style powered augers.

PAUL - On a 122 the 23-8.50 X 12's were the normal rear tire. 6X12's were possibly a reduced cost option. STEVE B. - A real good friend of Mine who's already retired from driving for Wal-Mart worked at Canton as a Production Scheduler. His Dad was a Steel Buyer there. They used to have 40 acres down by the IL river COVERED with steel. You could walk all over the 40 A and never have to touch dirt! Shame all those jobs came to an end. But that's better than the open wasteland of what was left of the plant after the fire! WYATT - I think the LoBoy just had a garden variety 302, I think it had a little 4 BBL, and the headers were obvious. Heck, may have been a 260 or 289 for that matter.

John L.,
As you requested, here are some pics of the Original as I purchased it. The pics are scaned so they aren't very good.
16665.jpg

16666.jpg

16667.jpg

16668.jpg

Thanks Kraig!
Yup Art, I,m busted I think it was called bi-tractoral a while back.
So did Danco stick with the trip bucket? The thing sure is a pain. After seeing Doug Barnett,s loader I sure would like bucket controls!

Anybody out there near Dubuque IA and heading to either the Quad Cities or the MN plowday?

Is there a updated headcount for the MN plowday?

I looked at a CC that had a nice original looking decal with the no. 1117 on it, at least that's what I remembered it to be. It had a 17hp Kohler twin under the hood. I called the owner and asked him what the model was and he said it was a 1117. Since I had never heard of a 1117, I looked for a model 117 and found 1 bad photo of one on an old auction site. It was listed as a International Cub Cadet Model 117 with no other information. Is this a rare species or what?
Bill

Hi Joe! If you look back in the archives, you'll see that I've been posting progress on my loader-mutt project, which WILL have power-steering.
I illustrated and explained the building of a new steering column, with a Char-Lynn steering valve at the base, and an adaptation of a Cub steering shaft to the steering valve. I also illustrated making a bracket to accept a hydraulic pump, and will soon be installing hydraulic rams to rotate the steering knuckles.
One could utilize the 149's hydraulic lift system as a source for steering pressure, however, it may not have enough flow to steer responsively, and it might cause bumpy operation when operating the lift... hard to say without trying it.
Drop me a note direct, and I'll email you high-res photos of my work, and text-files explaining it all.

Hey Ryan- I'm IN the Quad-Cities... and I might be arm-twisted into taking a road-trip to Dubuque... need something transported? drop me an Email!

Here are a few pics of the 123 with the headlights and grote light installed and working.
16670.jpg

16671.jpg

The 122 has a new head gasket and it works GREAT. I got the carb adjusted, and I am not real happy with the way it runs, but I think that I need a new set of points and condensor. Maybe I'll spring the David Kirks point saver. Just don't want to put a whole lot o' money in the 122 until after I get the rest of the 123 taken care of. Still need to finish the deck, replace the baffle and get the front PTO rebuilt, replace the front belt and change out the hytran. Then she will be ready for my wife to use while I am on deployment. Gotta love the Cubs!

(Message edited by jrichardson on March 09, 2004)

I put an old hood and grill on just to see what the body lines will be like.
16673.jpg

I have been quietly working away this winter on an Original resto job. I couldn't believe the amount of time that I had to put into UD-6 underdrive. It was really poorly set-up from the factory. Would advise anyone that is putting a strain on one i.e. Plow-Special type rigs, to do a "blue-print" job on theirs. Mine was using less than a third of the low side gear, fully shifted out. I had make a new shift rail with new (.200") offset detents; along with some hefty clearance work to achieve proper shift-out.
I think it was worth the effort, I added brass bushings and a better detent to a new tool-steel shift rail just for measure.
Anybody else dig into theirs???
Nice job Kent on the Orig.

does anyone have a book for a johnson workhorse loader i am putting one on a 1250 cub

Back