• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 06, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Tedd-
Yer really going to town on that thing, new axle and everything eh?

Travis-
No, skip the pictures, we want VIDEO!!!
;-)

Seeing some major progress there, Travis. Looks like you're getting ahead of me now, talk about motivation! I know that I'm going IH red and white on mine...

On a related note, when I pulled apart my rear-rear end, I found that someone had run in one of the rear end bolts too far and broken the left hand middle bolt hole for the rear plate. There's a 1 inch piece of the inner casting broken away that has half the threads for that hole on it. What are my options to repair, other than replacing the entire rear end?

Travis,

I also noted that you moved your axle back behind the pedestal. I was _REALLY_ wondering how you were going to make the sheet metal fit with it as far forward as in your pix with just the articulation... (grin)

Art,

Well, I will be "upgrading" to the super steer axle. "Going to town", may be a bit more than what is really happening. I'm trying to get the frames stripped so the welder can have his way with them. Once he is done, I can then mount the front axle, steering gear and pedestal. Also put in a stock 782 or simaler rear (ported hydro, internal brake) <font size="-2">clearing throat, cough, cough</font> for now to work out the linkage. Moving the rear back 15 inches will require a little work to everything between the pedestal and rear.
happy.gif

Once it is at the welders, it may be a couple of weeks to a month before it comes back. In the mean time, basement work....

BTW, you got any pictures of your progress? I'm not much of a fabricater (at least I admit it), so I'm open to stealing ideas!!!!

Travis,

Are you sectioning the fenders to widen them out? I didn't want to lose the inside and outside of the fenders and the shape they had. When I moved the fenders too far forward, I was unable to take the side panels on and off. That was my main limiting factor on how far forward the axle moved unless you're pulling out some voodoo somewhere.... =)

I'm using flat fenders off a 102. The look will be similar to the pic Ryan posted. I wanted to use the wideframe style fenders, but deemed it impossible for me to fab. Foot locations was my main problem. Steve B and I have talked about it numerous times. I'm thinking there's a guy in WI that may end up with some time in the fenders. First person to guess who that is wins......well.....nothing
lol.gif

I re-read your post about the axle. It hasn't moved from the first pic I posted. The side panels did come off then. As the tractor sits right now, the weight is nearly 100% balanced when I sit where the seat will be. Add the fuel tank, sheet metal, hydraulics, etc, and it'll still be nose heavy. I wanted that front axle as far ahead as I could get it, and still get an engine in. That's also the one and only reason it won't be a diesel!!

Travis,

I _really_ wanted to keep the wideframe fender look, and by building a pedestal for the seat about 16 inches above the frame, the tops of the fenders will give me a good footrest. I picked up the heim joints friday from a local race shop for the upper and lower links, and for the PS cylinder...

You'll note that i'm not picturing the rear yet. Still trying to find a local source for 1x2 square tubing to enclose the joints into.... and you'll notice the 3-pt is still on the front frame. It makes a nice spacer to true up the frame width intil I weld the tubing in place.

Note: I've done _nothing_ about the body work on the 682 sheet metal... it's rough now, but once the mechanical issues are worked out...

16510.jpg

16511.jpg

16512.jpg

Here's the rear end that I posted about earlier...

16513.jpg

(Message edited by jmjackson on March 06, 2004)

Dave K ,heres some better late than never pics of a 982 ,its the only 82 ser. with turning brakes. there not the best pics but I can get more with the front lifted with a loader so I can get a better shot. Rt. pedal pivots on the shaft and left is roll pinned to shaft ,far left works both.
16517.jpg

16518.jpg

16519.jpg

Hey Rich! Thanks for the turning-brakes pix- that'll do just fine. Tonight I'll spend some quality time sitting on a bucket, hemming and hawing to figure out how I'll do something similar. Think I'll nix the left-and 'both brakes' pedal and mount my forward-reverse hydro control pedal over there... we'll see what I get dreamed up.

Travis man- if there's ANY project where a guy should have fabricating skills, your articulator is ONE of 'em! BTW- I WAS able to connect to your site, just had to use an old non-java browser... dunno why, but whatever...

Mike, that's actually what I was trying to get away from. I want the driver to be seated pretty much in the same place he would normally be on the tractor, not higher than normal. I'm not downing your project in the least, it's just not what I was after. I also didn't want to space the wheels out, but I'm going to have to space them out around 3" for footrests.

Dave, I'll be lucky if it moves under it's own power ;-)

Now where'd I put that lime green paint??

Oh yeah, the back tires for my 4X4 got stolen last Oct, and I still haven't gotten them back!!!

Piston ring question again. This time I need to know the thickness of each of the rings on a K321 piston. I have a hunch I can cross over and get a better ring price by using rings from a 4, 6 or 8 cyl set. Plenty of 3.50 dia sets, just need to know the thickness so I can check out my hunch.

I can measure the ones I have, but I want to know what spec is.

(Message edited by fmorski on March 06, 2004)

WM Deturk, I am definitely planning on going to PDIII. I would like to meet you, so email me a little closer, and maybe we can meet.
Travis and Mike J., Great projects, I hope you keep the pictures coming. My boys and I are really enjoying seeing them.
PS Doug is fine.

Mike J- any GOOD local weldig shop should have the tubing you need.

Latest posts

Back