• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 04, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear mount battery..... here's mine.

16439.jpg

Here's another.

16440.jpg

Hey, All-- Here's another dumb question (maybe two)--

Is there some sort of brochure or website or catalog or something where a person could look at all makes of Cub Cadets fairly close, kind of like a timeline?
Or, is about the only option to resort to all the various model specific catalogs?

Also, can anyone tell me does Dan Hoefler have a website?

Also, thanks, Kraig for helping me out with the literature!

Oops, forgot to add that Dan Hoefler does not have a website. I've got lots of photos of his custom Cubs though..... :eek:)

I dont know if any of you know Harold Stram from IL, but he was one of the designers that designed the original Cub Cadet. He was here last week getting some parts. He has the very first Original that was built. it was built with no serial # The tractor remained at the factory untill after #400 thru #409 were built for testing and later got sold. They then decided to go ahead and sell the original proto type to a emloye there, it was stamped with the #411. He has found it and is having it profesionaly restored and putting the finishing touches on it. He said he is planing on having it at The IH spring round up in Auburn IN in 2 weeks. He said he will be there with Hank Will. I will get some pics of it and post on here.
It was very interesting talking to him. He was telling me that IH had proto type, 6 wheeld ATV vehicles, Snowmobiles, and Dirt bikes built in the 70s and wanted to include them in there new IH outdoor Power seperate company, that never ended up happening, since they sold to MTD.

Cub Connection, thanks for the news. I'll be looking forward for pics... Oh, say hi to Hank Will for me...

Cub Connection
That is Harold Schramm you are talking about. He did some design work on the Originals, and designed the 70/100. He got #411 from Dave Steveson in WI. Dave was Test Manager for IH Cub Cadets, and it's my understanding his entire IH career was with the Cub Cadet line.

Jerry M.,
The original engine that came in a 125 had the compression release. If yours does not, someone has put a different engine in it somewhere along the way out of something else. I do believe that every cub cadet from the 1x2-3 series on had the compression release as standard. The Original, 70, and 100 came without the ACR and had a smaller diameter pulley on the starter to try to give it more umph to over come the compression. I would check out the camshaft more and possibly replace it with the camshaft that belongs in it. I know what you are going through. When I rebuilt the engine in my 129, I had the same problem. A few of you might remember the trouble I had getting it started at Jonathan's Plow Day. That was the first hours I had on the rebuild. I finally replaced the spring on the ACR and the problem was solved.

On the Originals, did the motors contain both a starter and pulley for a pull rope? Both originals
I recently acquired has this. TIA

You mean this Harold Schramm???
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I along with Harold Schramm and Leonard Paulius designed the original Cub Cadet in 1960 at F.E.R.E.C. (Farm Equipment Research and Engineering Center) in Burr Ridge, IL. I have pictures of our first prototype which incorporated the front part of the Cub tractor hoodsheet/gastank and the next iteration with the gas tank top and cast grille. I was responsible for the styling of the 2nd generation Cadets. Some features never made it.

Thank you

Keith Burnham
Leland, MI<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Dan C,
After working with those CDs for a couple months
now, I still like the paper parts catalogs better.
Some of the oddball things that we cub nuts look
for can be hard to find on those CDs. Sometimes they arent even there. I haven't yet been able to
find the decal pages for the IH made tractors.
But they are easy to find in the paper parts books. Although cub cadet does have a "quick reference" decal book that lists all decals. The
CDs are quicker for looking up the normal repair
parts for counter customers. But when I am looking for something retoration related I end up
digging the paper parts books out. The CDs also are missing some of the important foot notes that the books have. I'm starting to see why some guys here have trouble with their local dealer finding parts for these older tractors. I sometimes get frustrated when I cant find something that I
know should be there on the CD.

(Message edited by tmarkle on March 04, 2004)

Bryan E. N.: I have no information on the N-59 shredder-chipper that can be mounted on some Cub Cadets. The only way for a shredder to work is to install a PTO clutch that was available for the Original. I just got this flier from MacKissic on their 9CC Shredder-grinder which said it fits all Cub Cadet tractors but this might not include the Original looking at the bracket and you would need the PTO.
16443.jpg

Todd M. -

Let's not forget that it's easier to take the paper manuals into the "library", too
wink.gif

Kraig:
Thanks for the response to my lighting question, but the lights i have installed are not in the body of the tractor like the ones in the photos. They are accessory/utility type lights. They ride above the front tires on brackets i rigged, but the ones i have are 100 watts and draw too much juice.
Someone a while back advised me to get trapezoid lights at 35 watts. I cannot seem to find trapezoid lights and not sure if I should look for a pair that equal 35 or equal 70 watts. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Fred

Paul,
I guess I got Harolds last name spelling wrong, he said he also did some work on the 806 serries tractors, while at IH. He said he left IH over the Red tractors being produced and only being sold at IH AG dealers, they were trying to set up a IH lawn and garden devision, seperate company under IH like JDs lawn and garden is. It sure is nice talking with him and learning new things.

Paul,

I forgot to ask, were you comming up to the Spring round up show.

Cub Connection
I'll be there Saturday, but not bringing anything.

WM Deturk "Geezer" and A. Aytay,

Thanks for the info. I would like to get this shredder but I will have to think about it.

The serial number on my originial is 8376. My dad recieved it as "payment" for helping a friend about 18 years ago. When we got it, it had been sitting in a field all grown up in weeds. The deck was completely gone. My dad and I rebuilt it then and it was a daily user through my childhood. Well, it is about due for another good overhaul. I was actually thinking about restoring it and maybe using it for light duty and finding another Cadet, maybe a 122 for everyday work.
Thanks again for all the info on the chipper. The chipper/shredder I was looking at is on ebay.

- - Bryan N.

Latest posts

Back