• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 03, 2017

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most important "safety switch" rests squarely between your ears!

Earl-soda pops......sure lol.I always have soda pops on hand when any cub repairs are required...or as my wife calls it,bad idea juice.

My head switch shorted out many years ago!
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 146
Mark J - I don't know what it is about those grease fittings/zerks on the axle spindles but they do seem to somehow get snapped off. I'm almost 100% certain it's a press fit. I haven't changed one in years, and I can't tell you what size. I had a couple that just had the ball head snap off and I could grab the hex head and pull it out. I think I only ever had one that was completely gone and I had to push/pound it thru. If yours is completely snapped off then you should be able to press it thru the axle (or pound it thru with a punch) and it'll drop out the hole for the spindle.

Charlie - now we all know that just ain't true. If it was then nothing on here would work, and none of us would have the terrific support and service you provide us. We'd all just have a black screen - or maybe we'd be playing pong on here.
roflol.gif

Attachments

• roflol.gif
    roflol.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 153
It was soda, then....
His dad was a bit mad, and, well, one lesson learned, 2 billion to go!!
Charlie, my head switch was never installed! Saw the warranty paper the other day, is it too late?!
Garage check, yep, cub parts out number everything else in there...
greenthumb.gif

Attachments

• greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 149
  • greenthumb.gif
    greenthumb.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 147
Hi to all,

I just returned from my 5 ac. of paradise in Oregon. I brought up my 1976 model 1650 to put it to work after having done all the needed repairs.

The PO had let it sit outside for many years and it took it's toll. It had not been run for at least 5-7 years. I had to replace all the hydraulic hoses, tires and such. Many sheet-metal parts had been discarded for which I found replacements for on fee-bay.

I thought you all might like to see some pics, one of me removing some manzanita bushes (an evergreen shrub that will burn like gasoline once ignited) that are a huge fire hazard in this part of the country.

I know the 1650 looks a little "rough" right now, but it would have gotten scratched up pretty good doing this kind of work ripping up trees and brush. I would like to give it an OEM style paint job at some point after I retire. Hope you like the pics!
313206.jpg

313207.jpg

313208.jpg

313209.jpg

313210.jpg

Attachments

• 313210.jpg
    313210.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 313209.jpg
    313209.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 181
  • 313208.jpg
    313208.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 313207.jpg
    313207.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 313206.jpg
    313206.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 313210.jpg
    313210.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 313209.jpg
    313209.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 154
  • 313208.jpg
    313208.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 313207.jpg
    313207.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 313206.jpg
    313206.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 140
Jim L,

Excellent Pics,,, Looks Great!!!
Thanks for sharing,
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 136
Thanks for all the great info. I plan on keeping the Briggs in the 682 as I like OHV. It runs great. I will always have the KT17 in the barn if needed. I ordered a pair of the rubber swash disks with the narrow hole pattern for mounting to the Briggs flywheel. There is already a driveshaft bushing that centers the shaft in the flywheel. I will manufacture some adapter to enhance the rubber to driveshaft mount. I will also align the engine mount to the angle of the Hydro so that the rubber will have minimum flex.

I removed the rear sheet metal as I plan to use Power King type fenders and seat for a more Ag look. Also Ag type tires. This will be a grandkids tractor that will be used for riding through tractor shows pulling family in a wagon/trailer or around our 10 acres.

Are there any pictures on this site of that type of conversion?

Jim Lord, if you are on your way from Burbank to Oregon or back again and want a side trip let me know. I'm in Felton, CA which is just outside Santa Cruz. You don't see a lot of Cub Cadet enthusiasts here on the West coast.

Earl F. My parents kept me in toll as far as knowing everything. Plus I was pretty curious and wanted to learn about things that fascinated me. Pretty much trucks, tractors (farming), trumpets and *******. If I would have stuck with the first three then I'd be rich today.
biggrin.gif

Jim L. Very nice 1650.

Steve B. Great advice.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    419 bytes · Views: 138
Jim Lord, Nice 1650 outfit! However,I have to inquire,..... seems to me, at a guess, that the front wheel spindles are holding up well to the extra duty of the front end loader? Since your tractor is a '76, I'd guess it still has the 3/4" spindle? I would like very much one day to have a fel for my 1450. I have already upgraded to the 1" front wheel spindle. Thanks for the Quiet Line pictures!

Jim L. Is that a Gannon on the back of your 1650?
Marlin,
clappy.gif

Isn't the cast front axle itself that is in question with a loader? I know it was on the Case 600 series. Buddy's 644 had a steel tubular type axle it seemed versus the 200/400 cast iron front axles. We didn't take it off at all, just an observation.

Attachments

• clappy.gif
    clappy.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 149
Jim L,

I just found the pics you posted of the loader when you Got it,,,

313224.jpg

313225.jpg

Looks like you have put a lot of work into getting it going again,
And Everyone likes pics of Cubs working,,,,

Very CooL, Awesome job,,,
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.gif
    thumbsup.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 145
  • 313225.jpg
    313225.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 313224.jpg
    313224.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 313225.jpg
    313225.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 313224.jpg
    313224.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 152
Earl F. It's a trade off when a loader is installed. Years ago I bought a 104 as a rescue. When I got it home, I noticed the front axle was welded and the front spindles were badly bent. I've thought of one day putting a loader on a Cub Cadet only I keep watching for a nice skid loader or full size tractor/loader. Full size with loader will be more practical.

His 644 was really cool, but everything was tired on it. I'll still put one on someday just to do it. Not a necessity right now. Other than a hydro, all else negotiable. Steve B's 2072(?) Is cool, so I'm thinking at least wide frame. 1450 chassis or 129 could be candidates. Would not have to worry about the lack of lift then. We'll see if the loader portion comes my way reasonably, or I find the ambition to build it myself. It would help remove the 5 gallon bucket size rocks in my front yard.

I've had a loader on a 149....I'll take the 1872 ......power steering, long frame, big tires, heavy front axle, and power steering.....
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 146
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 147
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 137
1872, that was it! Hmm, power steering. Yeah, I agree that's extremely handy. Well there's the list!!

Marlin H, I think of the fact that having a loader option for my favorite IH Cub Cadet garden tractor is just fantastic! More practical? Sure, there are better options. But I'm a true IH enthusiast. Having this 1650 Quiet Line in 1976 would be just fine for odd chores around the house and farm. Even today, this 1650 set up would be just fine! Because if you need to dig ponds, and dont have smaller spaces to navigate, who needs a bigger, non IH Cub Cadet unit with power steering? Not a fan of the aluminum trans axles of the later Cub Cadets what so ever, and can not be convinced either! Not chewing you or anyone else out, just since we're sharing what we like about some and not others, !

Harry ,the zerks on the axle are 1/8 pipe tape ,if there broke ,just use a small easy out .

Back